Host on the Altar Table?
Peace.....I am inquiring to find out if the Host is put on the Altar Table (Corporal Cloth) and then moved to the Paten for the Fraction?  Is this the order of happenings and why is the Host taken off the Paten and then put back on?  I have tried to find details on this part of the mass, but not getting anywhere.  Tks!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(05-27-2018, 04:43 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....I am inquiring to find out if the Host is put on the Altar Table (Corporal Cloth) and then moved to the Paten for the Fraction?  Is this the order of happenings and why is the Host taken off the Paten and then put back on?  I have tried to find details on this part of the mass, but not getting anywhere.  Tks!  God bless, angeltime :heart:

In the Novus Ordo the host remains on the paten the entire time, which is one reason for suggesting a more meal vs sacrifice emphasis, as traditionally the plate is hidden to remove the meal aspect of communion, and instead emphasis the corporal which represents a burial shroud.

In the traditional Roman Rite the Host is offered on the paten, then removed to the corporal and at a non-Solemn Mass the paten is then partially hidden under the corporal with the purificator later covering the other part after preparation of the chalice. At a solemn Mass (except the Chrismal Mass and Requiem Mass), the paten is given to the subdeacon who veils it under the humeral veil and holds it through the Canon.

The host is returned to the paten after the Pater Noster for the fraction because symbolically this begins the Communion rite for the priest (thus the meal aspect), and also because of practicality. Using the paten minimizes the chance of fragments of the host being retained, since the fraction is done over the chalice, but the rough edges are exposed and protected by the paten.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • angeltime
(05-27-2018, 09:06 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 04:43 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....I am inquiring to find out if the Host is put on the Altar Table (Corporal Cloth) and then moved to the Paten for the Fraction?  Is this the order of happenings and why is the Host taken off the Paten and then put back on?  I have tried to find details on this part of the mass, but not getting anywhere.  Tks!  God bless, angeltime :heart:

In the Novus Ordo the host remains on the paten the entire time, which is one reason for suggesting a more meal vs sacrifice emphasis, as traditionally the plate is hidden to remove the meal aspect of communion, and instead emphasis the corporal which represents a burial shroud.

In the traditional Roman Rite the Host is offered on the paten, then removed to the corporal and at a non-Solemn Mass the paten is then partially hidden under the corporal with the purificator later covering the other part after preparation of the chalice. At a solemn Mass (except the Chrismal Mass and Requiem Mass), the paten is given to the subdeacon who veils it under the humeral veil and holds it through the Canon.

The host is returned to the paten after the Pater Noster for the fraction because symbolically this begins the Communion rite for the priest (thus the meal aspect), and also because of practicality. Using the paten minimizes the chance of fragments of the host being retained, since the fraction is done over the chalice, but the rough edges are exposed and protected by the paten.
Pax et Bonum!  Thankyou so much for your explanation in detail!  Also, I like the idea of sacrifice vs meal reminding us of what Christ actually did for us.....and then comes the Eucharist.  God bless, angeltime :heart: