A question about incense in the liturgy
I am wondering if frankincense is the only incense used at Holy Mass. What brought the question to mind was seeing that Boswellia Sacra, the tree from which frankincense is derived, is classified as "near threatened". When I learned this, it made me wonder what could or even  should be used to replace it in the event that the tree were, hypothetically, to go extinct at some point in the future. It occurred to me, though, that maybe there are already different kinds of resins used as incense in the Mass. Is that the case?
(05-28-2018, 05:26 PM)delsydebothom Wrote: I am wondering if frankincense is the only incense used at Holy Mass. What brought the question to mind was seeing that Boswellia Sacra, the tree from which frankincense is derived, is classified as "near threatened". When I learned this, it made me wonder what could or even  should be used to replace it in the event that the tree were, hypothetically, to go extinct at some point in the future. It occurred to me, though, that maybe there are already different kinds of resins used as incense in the Mass. Is that the case?

No. Frankincense is not the only type of incense used.
(05-28-2018, 07:28 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(05-28-2018, 05:26 PM)delsydebothom Wrote: I am wondering if frankincense is the only incense used at Holy Mass. What brought the question to mind was seeing that Boswellia Sacra, the tree from which frankincense is derived, is classified as "near threatened". When I learned this, it made me wonder what could or even  should be used to replace it in the event that the tree were, hypothetically, to go extinct at some point in the future. It occurred to me, though, that maybe there are already different kinds of resins used as incense in the Mass. Is that the case?

So, what would the others be?
(05-28-2018, 07:42 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote:
(05-28-2018, 07:28 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

So, what would the others be?

Any type of flammable resin can be used. Typically it is plant based and is essentially the sappy tar produced by certain trees.

Commonly frankinscense, myrrh, copal, Dragons' Blood, Guggul , Sal and pine are made into incense.

Often these are coated with oils and clay mixed with other fragrances to give varying scents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Justin Alphonsus
Related question I've wondered about, noticing use of different incense:  Does the type used change with the liturgical "seasons" like vestments, or is it more flexible?  Anyone know?