Help in Preparing for a Wedding
God's blessings be on all of you!

I am preparing to get married (Deo Gratis!) on August 11 of this year. While my fiancée and I had made arrangements to bring a Priest from another diocese to say the Mass of Ages and do the Rite of Marriage accordingly, our Bishop had other ideas and expressly forbid the Priest from saying the Tridentine Mass here. Of course, this is outside of His Grace's office and entirely illicit, but our Priest does not want to cause waves and so has offered instead to say Mass according to the Liturgy of Paul VI in Latin and ad orientam. It is not what we wanted, but it is what we shall have. I am keen, however, to ensure that this celebration mimicks as closely as possible the Mass of Ages and so I am currently doing some research into what we are allowed to change and how to go about it.

For starters, we will choose to have only the Epistle and Gospel readings and those will come from the approved readings for the nuptial rite of the Mass of Ages (namely Ephesians 5:22-33 and Matthew 19:3-6). I would also like for the nuptial rite to precede the Mass. Furthermore, I would like to have the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar and the Asperges occur after the nuptial rite and before Mass begins. My thinking on this is that the nuptial rite can be said outside of the Sanctuary, with Father in alb, stole and cope; he can vest in the Sanctuary before the Mass is said as per usual practice at High Mass. 

We will also have a small schola of 3 women who will chant the Mass according to Mass XI in the Kyriale. We will include the solemn blessing and the dismissal of "Ite missa est" as opposed to whatever else they say at the Novus Ordo. Additionally, we will do the Leonine Prayers after the Mass. 

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on other things which can opt for in the Mass of Paul VI which will help us to achieve a more traditional and reverent celebration. Furthermore, I wonder if anyone has any practical ideas about how the liturgy can be celebrated.

I also wonder about the procession: we will have at least 3 priests present, one saying Mass, one preaching and another simply in choir. Do all 3 priests process in with the wedding processional, or should the two who are not celebrating take their places in choir ahead of the ceremony? I may come back and update this thread with more questions, but for now your advice and help would be useful as I am an amateur liturgist in every sense of the word.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
[-] The following 1 user Likes RyanPatrick's post:
  • Becky
For the record, this is my proposed Order of Service:

Order of Service
for the celebration of Holy Matrimony between
Ryan Patrick Owens
and
Justine Keirsten Anne Vessey
this Eleventh day of August in the Year of Our Lord 2018

The Rite of Holy Matrimony
To be said outside of the Sanctuary
The Wedding Procession (
The Exchanging of Vows
Blessing of the Bride and Groom with Holy Water
The Exchanging of Rings
Invocation of God

The Holy Mass
According to the Rite of Paul VI, Said by Rev. Peter Melanson

Prayers at the Foot of the Altar
Asperges
Penitential Act
Collect

Liturgy of the Word

Epistle Reading (Ephesians 5:22-33)
Gospel Acclamation
Gospel Reading (Matthew 19:3-6)
Homily (Rev. Andrew Handrahan)

Liturgy of the Eucharist

Offeratory Prayer
Preface
Sanctus
The Communion Rite
Post-Communion

Concluding Rites

Solemn Blessing
Dismissal
Leonine Prayers
  • Becky
I would move the wedding to another diocese or go to an SSPX chapel for it.
(05-29-2018, 10:15 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I would move the wedding to another diocese or go to an SSPX chapel for it.

I would love to but it is not really an option for us; my fiancée's family are dairy farmers and must be close to the house in order to do their farm chores that day.
You should find a book or pdf of the Rite of Marriage. I went through this when I got married and it's not so simple if you actually want to follow the rubrics of the Novus Ordo. You can't just make up things to fit them in when the rubrics don't call for them.

If you're doing this according the the Paul VI Mass, then you can't use the prayers at the foot of the altar since they've been suppressed. I guess a work around for this is to do them in private with the priest and the servers prior to the Mass.
The Asperges can only be used in place of the penitential rite. As a note, I don't believe the penitential rite is used in the Nuptial Mass, I was told this is the case when I got married, so we just skipped to the Gloria.
Also, in the NO, the Rite of Marriage occurs after the homily, not prior to the Mass.
I'm also not sure if you're allowed to use just one reading. I can't remember how the rubrics work for the NO since weekdays typically have one reading, although by that logic then you wouldn't have the Gloria either.

In terms of what things you can do? 
Latin
Ad Orientem
Incense
Use of the traditional readings and propers (preferably sung) - It's hard to get the propers right since the NO doesn't make time for the singing of the introit. You can possibly have it done right after the procession and during the incensing of the altar, but it's not so simple. Also, the offertory is quite short in the NO, so it's not as simple to fit in the Proper as well, but it can be done.
The general intercessions weren't chosen by us, but we added a list of deceased members of our family. You could also maybe add an Eternal Rest prayer for them.
Using the Canon
You'll unfortunately need to use the Mystery of Faith since that's part of the NO. Also the Great Amen, just have a very basic "Ameeeen" instead of whatever other nonsense that's in vogue.
If your choir is up for it maybe some Latin polyphonic hymns during Communion.
If there is a penitential rite then you can do the confiteor & kyrie. Even have the kyrie sung.
Also, getting an actual gradual/alleluia may not be possible. If you can get it, then great, otherwise use Psalm 127 for the responsorial as that goes with the traditional Nuptial Mass.

I wasn't able to get the whole Mass in Latin nor Ad Orientem as the pastor shut down the priest, but I got the music all in Latin so it worked out in that respect. Most people said it was the most beautiful wedding Mass that they've been to, so I'll take it.

BTW, the sung propers would be

Introit - Deus Israel Conjugat Vos

Offertory - In Te Speravi

Communion - Ecce Sic Benedicetur

Gradual - Uxor Tua

Alleluia - Mittat Vobis
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
With regards to having the nuptials prior to the Mass, I believe that it is an option to have a Marriage Service without Mass. What we might, then, do is to have the Marriage Service without the Mass first, and then have a separate Mass immediately after. This may require us to use the readings of the day and to add a reading of Ephesians and Matthew to the Sermon. This way, we can omit the First Reading and the Psalm, since that is allowed for daily Mass, and the omission of the Gloria is fine because in the Old Rite, Nuptial Masses omitted both the Gloria and the Credo.

Likewise, under this option, and since the procession is extra-liturgical to the nuptial rite, we can have the prayers at the foot of the altar said "privately" following the procession and prior to the actual nuptial rite or following the nuptial rite but before the start of the Mass' liturgy.

We do have a "schola" to chant the propers of the Mass (and Father will just wait while the chants are going on if the timing is weird). We are working with them to devise the chants which will be sung throughout the other parts of the Liturgy (e.g.: processional, communion, recessional). I think it would also be nice to find a chanted version of the Leonine Prayers and the prayer for Her Majesty. If not, those can be said.
  • Becky
(05-29-2018, 10:06 AM)RyanPatrick Wrote: God's blessings be on all of you!

I am preparing to get married (Deo Gratis!) on August 11 of this year. While my fiancée and I had made arrangements to bring a Priest from another diocese to say the Mass of Ages and do the Rite of Marriage accordingly, our Bishop had other ideas and expressly forbid the Priest from saying the Tridentine Mass here. Of course, this is outside of His Grace's office and entirely illicit,
Actually, it is totally within His Grace's competence to forbid any Priest from outside his jurisdiction from saying Mass in one of his Churches. Tho', I agree that if he is just directing the prohibition of the TLM it is illicit.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-29-2018, 11:24 AM)RyanPatrick Wrote: With regards to having the nuptials prior to the Mass, I believe that it is an option to have a Marriage Service without Mass. What we might, then, do is to have the Marriage Service without the Mass first, and then have a separate Mass immediately after. This may require us to use the readings of the day and to add a reading of Ephesians and Matthew to the Sermon. This way, we can omit the First Reading and the Psalm, since that is allowed for daily Mass, and the omission of the Gloria is fine because in the Old Rite, Nuptial Masses omitted both the Gloria and the Credo.

Likewise, under this option, and since the procession is extra-liturgical to the nuptial rite, we can have the prayers at the foot of the altar said "privately" following the procession and prior to the actual nuptial rite or following the nuptial rite but before the start of the Mass' liturgy.

We do have a "schola" to chant the propers of the Mass (and Father will just wait while the chants are going on if the timing is weird). We are working with them to devise the chants which will be sung throughout the other parts of the Liturgy (e.g.: processional, communion, recessional). I think it would also be nice to find a chanted version of the Leonine Prayers and the prayer for Her Majesty. If not, those can be said.

Not sure. The only non-Mass Catholic weddings I've been to were just the Liturgy of the Word followed by the Rite of Marriage and then ending there. I've never seen anything other than that. Hopefully it would be possible for them to exclude the Liturgy of the Word since you're having the full Mass afterwards.

You could throw in the Marian Antiphon of the season (which for August would be Salve Regina) prior to the recessional, some people also use this time to present a bouquet of flowers to a statue of Our Lady.

For a wedding you may want more organ based music for the recessional, but maybe there's something that would go well with the Mass.

Just be aware of the singing skill and the amount of time your schola will be able to have to prepare for your Mass. Mine was just a few people from the parish. The music director knew Gregorian chant at a basic level having taken classes, but she and the people who sung for the Mass certainly didn't have any real experience with it. They also didn't really prepare to sing for the Mass until a maybe a couple weeks prior to the wedding, so I had to cut a lot of the songs that I wanted in favor of things that they already knew or were easier for them to sing. All-in-all they did a good job with the time they had, so I can't complain. Don't go in expecting them to do Mass IX or some other Kyriale and expect it to happen. Most people know VIII pretty well, so that's probably what you'll end up getting. Also, don't get your hopes up in having extremely complex polyphonic settings. If you have an experienced schola, then go for it. If they're willing to try it, then great. Otherwise try to stick with easier pieces.

For Communion, after the propers you can't go wrong with the various well known Communion hymns such as Adore Te Devote, Ave, verum Corpus (there's a pretty version that mixes English & Latin called In Memory Of You that the music director recommended for our wedding that we used), Panis Angelicus, O sacrum convivium, among others.

Also depending on how quickly the schola sings the Proper, you could have them sing a hymn during the offertory as well. Since the priest will incense the altar and such, it'll buy you a bit more time to add in extra music. I believe we had Arcadelt's Ave Maria sung during this time.

Also, I'd recommend putting together a word document with the text of the Mass and printing it for the people who will attend. I made a version that explained all of the bits of the Mass to a certain degree. I have no idea if people read it all, but it looked nice at least. I did this with an English Mass. If you're doing a Latin Mass, you'll at the very least want an English/Latin side-by-side booklet.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(05-29-2018, 03:58 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I am preparing to get married (Deo Gratis!) on August 11 of this year. While my fiancée and I had made arrangements to bring a Priest from another diocese to say the Mass of Ages and do the Rite of Marriage accordingly, our Bishop had other ideas and expressly forbid the Priest from saying the Tridentine Mass here. Of course, this is outside of His Grace's office and entirely illicit,
Actually, it is totally within His Grace's competence to forbid any Priest from outside his jurisdiction from saying Mass in one of his Churches. Tho', I agree that if he is just directing the prohibition of the TLM it is illicit.

A bishop has every right, if there is a just cause, to prohibit a priest from offering Mass publicly in his diocese. He has no right to prohibit the priest from offering a totally private Mass if he has faculties in another diocese and goes through the normal procedures, nor can he prohibit him from offering the Extraordinary Form. Faculties are faculties.

This is a lesson in being careful not to say too much.

If a Canadian citizen volunteers when he is crossing the border into the US that he came there to volunteer to help his priest friend run a summer camp, he risks being forbidden because he would be "working" and needs a permit, even if it is work for free. Instead he says correctly, but reservedly "I'm going camping with my friend." Totally true, yet also it protects him.

Similarly a priest going into a diocese for a marriage should just apply for the delegation from the pastor and have his bishop send the paperwork in so he can publicly say Mass (if this is even necessary). If he volunteers that it will be an Extraordinary Form Mass, he risks being shut down. He needs no permission to say the Extraordinary Form. If he asks for it, he is making an offer to the bishop to shut him down.

You can never lie. You don't always have to tell the whole truth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • RyanPatrick
(05-29-2018, 03:58 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

The Priest is welcome to say Mass here, he is just forbidden to say the Tridentine Use of the Mass.