Help!
One of the Popes, probably Leo XIII, St Pius X, or Pius XI, made a statement in an Encyclical that social classes are natural and necessary to a well ordered society. Can someone help me with a reference? I need it for an article I'm writing, and a Google search for 'Papal quotes on social classes' brings up a lot of Francis' quotes.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-31-2018, 01:21 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: One of the Popes, probably Leo XIII, St Pius X, or Pius XI, made a statement in an Encyclical that social classes are natural and necessary to a well ordered society. Can someone help me with a reference? I need it for an article I'm writing, and a Google search for 'Papal quotes on social classes' brings up a lot of Francis' quotes.

Try putting a minus sign before Francis in the search bar. Sounds like a Leo XIII idea, but I’m not sure. I can look into it further later.
Is it Rerum Novarum by Pope Leo XIII?

http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en...varum.html
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
I don't have a source off hand for you, Jovan, but it is a philosophical truth that the imperfection of individuals is necessary for the perfection of the whole ... not every organ can be an eye.
This is the closest thing I know off-hand from Rerum Novarum, which opposes the Marxist idea that the capital owning and labor classes are naturally or destined to be in conflict--rather they can and should be in harmony:  

Quote:19. The great mistake made in regard to the matter now under consideration is to take up with the notion that class is naturally hostile to class, and that the wealthy and the working men are intended by nature to live in mutual conflict. So irrational and so false is this view that the direct contrary is the truth. Just as the symmetry of the human frame is the result of the suitable arrangement of the different parts of the body, so in a State is it ordained by nature that these two classes should dwell in harmony and agreement, so as to maintain the balance of the body politic. Each needs the other: capital cannot do without labor, nor labor without capital. Mutual agreement results in the beauty of good order, while perpetual conflict necessarily produces confusion and savage barbarity. Now, in preventing such strife as this, and in uprooting it, the efficacy of Christian institutions is marvellous and manifold. First of all, there is no intermediary more powerful than religion (whereof the Church is the interpreter and guardian) in drawing the rich and the working class together, by reminding each of its duties to the other, and especially of the obligations of justice.

This does not mean conflict is never justified, but only if based on class enmity--conflict, if carried out rightly, can be necessary to get us to that just and harmonious result.  I think in Laborem Exercens 20 (discussing the role of unions), while also noting like Leo XIII that capital and labor need each other and should be united rather than at enmity, St. John Paul II explained the distinction well in that any struggle should be a struggle for justice "for the good" and "not a struggle 'against' others." As he sums it up, "it aims at the good of social justice, not for the sake of 'struggle' or in order to eliminate the opponent." 

I think that goes to your point of the goal being not to eliminate one class or the other, but to have them work in harmony.

This same point was summed up earlier by Pius XI in Quadragesimo Anno:

Quote: 114. For if the class struggle abstains from enmities and mutual hatred, it gradually changes into an honest discussion of differences founded on a desire for justice, and if this is not that blessed social peace which we all seek, it can and ought to be the point of departure from which to move forward to the mutual cooperation of the Industries and Professions.
[Image: catherinesiena-1.jpg]