Is reading erotic literature mortally sinful
 I read quite a bit, and read mostly classical and medieval literature. On  occasion however, I read some modern literature. More often than not, the modern lit has    some pretty sketchy scenes in it ( erotic  in nature) It seems like almost all modern literature is polluted with this stuff, so I've more or less abstained from reading modern lit. At what point does reading something with bad scenes become Mortal  sin? 
Oh my . . .  I will confess to having read quite a few racy novels in my past.  :blush: I really liked the plot line and writing of a particular author, but the books got so smutty that I stopped reading her work altogether.  I found it sinful because it created fantasies for me that were shall we say stimulating in nature - even if I did not act on them.  That was my personal experience.  

I think that if you find such things arousing, or perhaps titillating, then it would be best to discontinue reading them.  If, however, you just naturally skip over those bits, then it might be OK.  Then again, your purchase of such a book supports an author who writes something smutty, so that is another reason to skip the trashier novels.  

Just my 2 cents . . . 
F
Adoption, Home School, and Catholic Family Life:  StolenPears.com
There’s a difference between erotic literature and smut. If you are intentionally causing yourself to become aroused at an inappropriate time, that is sinful.
If we are talking modern novels, we are probably talking about smut.   :D
Adoption, Home School, and Catholic Family Life:  StolenPears.com
I would say yes, just because my most recent confession I confessed reading literature that made me aroused, hopefully i'll never do it again.  :(
Are you reading this with your spouse?