I thought the Feast of the Visitation is on July 2
My calendar states that the 2nd of July is the feast of the Visitation. I've been seeing a number of blog posts yesterday (May 31) talking about the Visitation. But yesterday, May 31 is Corpus Christi. Or is it not?
Well, normally, in the 1955 and 1960 Calendars, it's the Queenship of Mary, but this year Corpus Christi takes precedence.

***ETA*** In the New Calendar the 31st is indeed the Visitation. I'll let one of the rubrics expert explain what is done since in the US the celebration of Corpus Christi has been moved to next Sunday.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

The Visitation was placed on 2 July so it would immediately follow the Octave of the Nativity of St John the Baptist. The 1970 calendar moved it to better reflect the chronology in the Gospel, as it occurred prior to St John's birth. The Queenship was moved to 22 August, the former Octave day of the Assumption, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary was moved from 22 August to the Saturday after the Sacred Heart.

In the new calendar, where Corpus Christi is moved to Sunday, the previous Thursday is a feria in that week of Ordinary Time (this year, the Eighth), and that feria's Mass is celebrated unless a feast occur. Today is the Visitation, tomorrow is St Justin Martyr, Saturday is either SS Marcellinus and Peter, the feria (Saturday in the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time), or the BVM on Saturday, and Sunday is Corpus Christi.

In the pre-1955 calendar, today is Corpus Christi without Commemoration of St Petronilla, tomorrow is St Angela Merici with a Commemoration of the Octave, and Saturday is the Queenship with Commemorations of the Octave and of SS Marcellinus, Peter, and Erasmus. Sunday is the II Sunday after Pentecost with a Commemoration of the Octave.

In the 1962 calendar, today is Corpus Christi, tomorrow is St Angela Merici, and Saturday is St Mary on Saturday with a Commemoration of SS Marcellinus, Peter, and Erasmus. Sunday is the II Sunday after Pentecost, with no Commemoration, as the Octave has been suppressed. The Queenship, as a II Class Feast, is not transferred (only I Class Feasts are), so it's omitted this year, and Corpus Christi admits no Commemorations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • aquinas138
(05-31-2018, 10:17 PM)Paul Wrote: In the pre-1955 calendar, today is Corpus Christi without Commemoration of St Petronilla, tomorrow is St Angela Merici with a Commemoration of the Octave, and Saturday is the Queenship with Commemorations of the Octave and of SS Marcellinus, Peter, and Erasmus. Sunday is the II Sunday after Pentecost with a Commemoration of the Octave.

So the Queenship moves to 2nd June? Is that because SS Marcellinus, Peter, and Erasmus are just a simple, while St Angela Merici is a Double?

What would you do if you had to transfer a double of the second class, but all the remaining days in the week were doubles?

(This is the thing I still find hardest about the pre-'55 calendar).
(06-02-2018, 12:08 AM)Martinus Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 10:17 PM)Paul Wrote: In the pre-1955 calendar, today is Corpus Christi without Commemoration of St Petronilla, tomorrow is St Angela Merici with a Commemoration of the Octave, and Saturday is the Queenship with Commemorations of the Octave and of SS Marcellinus, Peter, and Erasmus. Sunday is the II Sunday after Pentecost with a Commemoration of the Octave.

So the Queenship moves to 2nd June? Is that because SS Marcellinus, Peter, and Erasmus are just a simple, while St Angela Merici is a Double?

What would you do if you had to transfer a double of the second class, but all the remaining days in the week were doubles?

(This is the thing I still find hardest about the pre-'55 calendar).

Yes. Feasts generally transfer to the next day which is not an Office of nine Lessons, except they can be transferred within certain Octaves.

If the entire week is Doubles or Semidoubles, it goes to the next free day - such as the Annunciation moving to Monday after Low Sunday and St Joseph moving to the Tuesday, since no feast can be celebrated in Holy Week or Easter Week.
Technically, I suppose, if you're keeping strictly to the pre-1955 calendar, there is no Feast of the Queenship, so you'd have St Angela Merici, the III day within the Octave of Corpus Christi, and the II Sunday after Pentecost.

The Queenship was added to the calendar in October 1954 to be first celebrated 31 May 1955; Pius XII's rubrical changes took effect 1 January 1956, so I suppose you'd be using the 1955 calendar, which also has St Joseph the Worker on 1 May and SS Philip and James on 11 May. Privately, of course, you can do what you like.
(06-02-2018, 12:27 AM)Paul Wrote: Technically, I suppose, if you're keeping strictly to the pre-1955 calendar, there is no Feast of the Queenship, so you'd have St Angela Merici, the III day within the Octave of Corpus Christi, and the II Sunday after Pentecost.

The Queenship was added to the calendar in October 1954 to be first celebrated 31 May 1955; Pius XII's rubrical changes took effect 1 January 1956, so I suppose you'd be using the 1955 calendar, which also has St Joseph the Worker on 1 May and SS Philip and James on 11 May. Privately, of course, you can do what you like.
Thanks.

You say they 'can be transferred within certain octaves'. Can you give an example of what you mean by that?
(06-02-2018, 12:38 AM)Martinus Wrote: You say they 'can be transferred within certain octaves'. Can you give an example of what you mean by that?

No Feast can be celebrated within the Octaves of Easter and Pentecost, only Doubles of the I class can be celebrated within the Octave of the Epiphany, only Doubles in the Octave of Corpus Christi, and all Feasts except Simples in other Octaves.

Looking at the Rubrics again, though, I'm not sure the Queenship would be transferred to 2 June - it might be 9 June. Title VII of the General Rubrics, on Octaves, says 'Infra Octavam Corporis Christi fit tantum de Duplicibus, non tamen translatis, nisi fuerint primæ vel secundæ classis, cum Commemoratione Octavæ.' But Title III of the Additions and Variations says the Octave of Corpus Christi enjoys the same privileges as the Octave of the Epiphany, which only allows Doubles of the I class, and the same is said in the Duæ Tabellæ section.

The Octave of the Sacred Heart is a III class Octave, which allows all Feasts except Simples, so I'd transfer the Queenship to 9 June.
(06-02-2018, 02:23 AM)Paul Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 12:38 AM)Martinus Wrote: You say they 'can be transferred within certain octaves'. Can you give an example of what you mean by that?

No Feast can be celebrated within the Octaves of Easter and Pentecost, only Doubles of the I class can be celebrated within the Octave of the Epiphany, only Doubles in the Octave of Corpus Christi, and all Feasts except Simples in other Octaves.

Looking at the Rubrics again, though, I'm not sure the Queenship would be transferred to 2 June - it might be 9 June. Title VII of the General Rubrics, on Octaves, says 'Infra Octavam Corporis Christi fit tantum de Duplicibus, non tamen translatis, nisi fuerint primæ vel secundæ classis, cum Commemoratione Octavæ.' But Title III of the Additions and Variations says the Octave of Corpus Christi enjoys the same privileges as the Octave of the Epiphany, which only allows Doubles of the I class, and the same is said in the Duæ Tabellæ section.

The Octave of the Sacred Heart is a III class Octave, which allows all Feasts except Simples, so I'd transfer the Queenship to 9 June.
Okay, thanks.

One more question, sorry. You said feasts normally transfer to the first day without nine lessons. But the Annunciation and St Joseph, when they are transferred to after Low Sunday, don't seem to be affected by that (do they?). I mean, even if the Monday after Low Sunday is a double or semidouble, the transferred feast of the Annunciation still falls on that day, doesn't it? Are doubles of the first class immune to that restriction?
I’ve been using the pre-1911 Breviary for a while - looks like I got the two confused again. In the pre-1955: Doubles of the I and II class are transferred to the next day free of that rank of feast, or of a day which excludes them, such as the Féria’s of Holy Week. The Queenship would be transferred to 1 June, but the Octave of Corpus Christi doesn’t allow that, so it goes to 9 June.