Catholic Parish Sued for Refusing to Host LGBT Event
https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti...osexuality
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Still not about bathrooms, weddings, cakes, or event hosting.

But not surprising this is in Oregon. Hopefully Masterpiece Cakeshop will take care of this one, but if not, maybe this will have to end up at the Supreme Court, too. Because we all know how the Ninth Circus will rule on it.
So the event center blindly signed a contract with the church forbidding them from hosting events contrary to Church teaching, now they're butt hurt about that part of the contract being enforced? What's the problem?

(06-03-2018, 03:00 AM)Paul Wrote: Still not about bathrooms, weddings, cakes, or event hosting.

No, it definitely isn't about any of those things.

Quote:But not surprising this is in Oregon. Hopefully Masterpiece Cakeshop will take care of this one, but if not, maybe this will have to end up at the Supreme Court, too. Because we all know how the Ninth Circus will rule on it.

SC just ruled on Masterpiece. The brief said Colorado was biased against the baker's faith, instead of keeping neutrality toward religion.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(06-04-2018, 01:01 PM)Jeeter Wrote: SC just ruled on Masterpiece.  The brief said Colorado was biased against the baker's faith, instead of keeping neutrality toward religion.

Unfortunately, I don't think Masterpiece Cakeshop covers this one. They're not creating anything or endorsing the event, just providing a meeting space. Maybe there's a free speech argument here, although it also seemed to say that the event centre was owned by the church, so maybe there's a freedom of religion argument. But it looks like Catholics can't own event centres anymore.
Yeah, the narrowness of the Masterpiece ruling does damn all to protect anyone else.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(06-04-2018, 05:41 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Yeah, the narrowness of the Masterpiece ruling does damn all to protect anyone else.

Not surprising, though, given that Kennedy wrote it. And with what Kennedy wrote in it, Christians lose the general argument that they don't have to provide goods for a gay 'wedding'.

I wonder if they'd force a Muslim baker to provide a cake for a First Communion. I think we all know who wins that one.