Episcopalians
Would it be appropriate to give a prayer card with a saint's image to a practicing Episcopalian?

A friend, an Episcopalian married to a Catholic, is going through a very rough time, with lots of trial.   Today I am meeting with her, and will be bringing her a small gift.  I was thinking of also giving her a prayer card, one of St. Benedict.

We've had a lot of discussions, and she is adamant that she will never be Catholic.  She is not wholly hostile to the Catholic church, as her children have been raised in the Church,  In fact,  the reason I am meeting her today is to celebrate her son's recent Confirmation.

Thoughts?
I ask Jesus to cover me and my family in His most Precious Blood against any and all incursions of the evil one, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SEDLIBERANOSAMALO's post:
  • dallas_r
It depends on what sort of an Episcopalian she is. Some are radically protestant, and might be offended. Others are 'High Church' Anglo-Catholics to whom Saint's holy cards are a fact of life. I used to be one of them, and the joke was that we were just Catholics who failed Latin.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • dallas_r, SEDLIBERANOSAMALO
(06-03-2018, 02:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I used to be one of them, and the joke was that we were just Catholics who failed Latin.

I thought it was chess they were bad at, since they can't tell the difference between a queen and a bishop.
[-] The following 6 users Like Paul's post:
  • aquinas138, dahveed, dallas_r, LaudeturIesus, MaryTN, SEDLIBERANOSAMALO
Yes, it is ok. It is the thought that counts, plus it's evangelization.

The 2 posters above me just flamed the Anglicans lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dallas_r's post:
  • SEDLIBERANOSAMALO
I didn't. :LOL: it was the Anglicans telling the joke!

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(06-03-2018, 05:53 PM)dallas_r Wrote: The 2 posters above me just flamed the Anglicans lol.

No, that would be Pope Pius IX, who was asked for a blessing by a group of Anglicans, and gave them one from the Mass: 'Ab illo benedicaris, in cujus honore cremaberis. Amen.' :)

I think it's fine to give her the holy card, and to continue praying for her - maybe she'll convert eventually through the intercession of St Benedict, even if she thinks she won't now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • LaudeturIesus
Technically Episcopalians are just American Anglicans. I don't know a ton about them, but I'd imagine that some are closer to Anglicanism and others are far out liberal prots. It's funny to walk past some historical Episcopalian churches on the east coast and see statues of at least OT & NT saints as if you're passing a Catholic church.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
Giving an Episcopalians a holy card is fine. I recommend one of St. Thomas More.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • MaryTN
(06-03-2018, 09:57 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: Giving an Episcopalians a holy card is fine. I recommend one of St. Thomas More.

Well, the Anglican Church of Canada keeps the Feast of Thomas More on 6 July, and the Church of England keeps Thomas More, Scholar, and John Fisher, Bishop of Rochester as 'Reformation Martyrs' on the same day.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(06-03-2018, 10:38 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Well, the Anglican Church of Canada keeps the Feast of Thomas More on 6 July, and the Church of England keeps Thomas More, Scholar, and John Fisher, Bishop of Rochester as 'Reformation Martyrs' on the same day.

And the English martyrs of the Reformation on 4 May. Pretty sure that includes the Catholic martyrs.