When to pray Matins??
Pax et Bonum!  I just wondered what time people are praying Matins?  I know even in Monasteries (some) that they are now working it in at an easier time to get a good night's sleep!  One I know of, is praying Matins before Mid-day prayer, so both Offices are over by 12:30 noon.  Any suggestions?  tks!
God bless, angeltime :heart:
Traditionally, it's prayed at midnight, and, in choir, is never separated from Lauds (except on Christmas, when Midnight Mass is between the two). In the 1960 Rubrics, it's permitted to anticipate Matins (but not Lauds) on the previous day. Before then, you could anticipate both any time after 2 PM. In the Liturgy of the Hours, Matins (the Office of Readings) can be said at any time during the day, but never anticipated.

Privately you can do what you like. One option is to say tomorrow's Matins after Compline, to keep the entire day intact instead of interrupting it with part of tomorrow's Office. Since you're not bound to say the Office, you could say that day's Matins later in the day; I'd keep it at least before Vespers if not earlier.
(06-19-2018, 05:29 PM)Paul Wrote: Traditionally, it's prayed at midnight, and, in choir, is never separated from Lauds (except on Christmas, when Midnight Mass is between the two). In the 1960 Rubrics, it's permitted to anticipate Matins (but not Lauds) on the previous day. Before then, you could anticipate both any time after 2 PM. In the Liturgy of the Hours, Matins (the Office of Readings) can be said at any time during the day, but never anticipated.

Privately you can do what you like. One option is to say tomorrow's Matins after Compline, to keep the entire day intact instead of interrupting it with part of tomorrow's Office. Since you're not bound to say the Office, you could say that day's Matins later in the day; I'd keep it at least before Vespers if not earlier.
Peace.....tks!  It sounds like a good plan to do it right after compline or early in the day - not take on a larger office when fatigue is setting in.....it's more difficult to absorb and contemplate the words if too tired.  Tks again and God bless, angeltime :heart:
I would suggest that someone who is not in a monastery pray Matins, Prime, and Lauds when they wake up. Terce, Sext, and None should probably be said around lunchtime. They may all be done together, done two together and one alone, or all three staggered throughout midday. It just depends on the person’s needs and preferences. A good time for Vespers would be in the evening, before beginning the evening activities. Compline should probably be prayed just before bed.
(06-19-2018, 06:35 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I would suggest that someone who is not in a monastery pray Matins, Prime, and Lauds when they wake up. Terce, Sext, and None should probably be said around lunchtime. They may all be done together, done two together and one alone, or all three staggered throughout midday. It just depends on the person’s needs and preferences. A good time for Vespers would be in the evening, before beginning the evening activities. Compline should probably be prayed just before bed.
Peace.....I can understand one who has a busy family schedule or work schedule doing a few offices together, however I really like to pray them independently if possible and when I am awake enough to absorb the words.....prayer really shouldn't become just "getting them done" although I can see that happening easily according to one's schedule.  Tks and God bless, angeltime :heart:
Given work, and the fact I'm not a morning person, I usually anticipate Matins right before Compline the night before.
(06-19-2018, 09:10 PM)karl Wrote: Given work, and the fact I'm not a morning person, I usually anticipate Matins right before Compline the night before.
Peace.....that sounds good!  I just completed Compline and Matins in that order & it seems to work fine.....God bless, angeltime :heart:
I like to pray it sometime between 415 and 6am. If i miss that range i skip it,or just read the lessons. As a layman you can do what you want. Some folks even say it the night before. In my LAP Matins book there is even a hymn that you can use if you pray Matins the night before.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • angeltime
(06-19-2018, 09:10 PM)karl Wrote: Given work, and the fact I'm not a morning person, I usually anticipate Matins right before Compline the night before.

I understand that lay use is not held to the same rules as in the monasteries, but why would Matins come before Compline?  That seems a little bit like having tomorrow morning's breakfast before this evening's dinner.
(06-20-2018, 09:12 AM)Melkite Wrote:

I understand that lay use is not held to the same rules as in the monasteries, but why would Matins come before Compline?  That seems a little bit like having tomorrow morning's breakfast before this evening's dinner.

Matins can be anticipated after 2 PM, and this way ends the day with Compline and keeps Matins after first Vespers of the following feast, if it occur. I agree it seems a bit odd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • karl