When to pray Matins??
(06-20-2018, 10:30 AM)Paul Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:12 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 09:10 PM)karl Wrote: Given work, and the fact I'm not a morning person, I usually anticipate Matins right before Compline the night before.

I understand that lay use is not held to the same rules as in the monasteries, but why would Matins come before Compline?  That seems a little bit like having tomorrow morning's breakfast before this evening's dinner.

Matins can be anticipated after 2 PM, and this way ends the day with Compline and keeps Matins after first Vespers of the following feast, if it occur. I agree it seems a bit odd.
Peace.....I realize that there is more flexibility for laity, than those in a structured prayer life in the monastery, however it does seem better if one is striving to stay close to the structure of the timing, to pray Matins after Compline since after that we are approaching midnight hours which is the former way of doing it and only by some today even in monasteries.  As I mentioned, I know a monastery that prays Matins at about 11:30 am then mid-day prayer and then off to lunch!  Compline is 8:00 pm and then the grand silence!  Sounds nice, doesnt it??  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(06-19-2018, 09:10 PM)karl Wrote: Given work, and the fact I'm not a morning person, I usually anticipate Matins right before Compline the night before.

I understand that lay use is not held to the same rules as in the monasteries, but why would Matins come before Compline?  That seems a little bit like having tomorrow morning's breakfast before this evening's dinner.

Matins can be anticipated after 2 PM, and this way ends the day with Compline and keeps Matins after first Vespers of the following feast, if it occur. I agree it seems a bit odd.
Peace.....I realize that there is more flexibility for laity, than those in a structured prayer life in the monastery, however it does seem better if one is striving to stay close to the structure of the timing, to pray Matins after Compline since after that we are approaching midnight hours which is the former way of doing it and only by some today even in monasteries.  As I mentioned, I know a monastery that prays Matins at about 11:30 am then mid-day prayer and then off to lunch!  Compline is 8:00 pm and then the grand silence!  Sounds nice, doesnt it??  God bless, angeltime :heart:

I don't have my Breviary in front of me right now so I can't give an exact reference, but the instructions in the front say that if you anticipate Matins it should be before Compline.  As mentioned above, I think it is so the day ends with Compline.
(06-20-2018, 09:28 PM)karl Wrote: I don't have my Breviary in front of me right now so I can't give an exact reference, but the instructions in the front say that if you anticipate Matins it should be before Compline.  As mentioned above, I think it is so the day ends with Compline.

Not sure about the '62 version, but there's a Rubric in the older Breviary that says if Matins follows Compline, the Pater, Ave, and Credo are said twice, once at the end of Compline and again for the beginning of Matins. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't allowed.
(06-20-2018, 10:11 PM)Paul Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:28 PM)karl Wrote: I don't have my Breviary in front of me right now so I can't give an exact reference, but the instructions in the front say that if you anticipate Matins it should be before Compline.  As mentioned above, I think it is so the day ends with Compline.

Not sure about the '62 version, but there's a Rubric in the older Breviary that says if Matins follows Compline, the Pater, Ave, and Credo are said twice, once at the end of Compline and again for the beginning of Matins. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't allowed.

Peace.....thanks for all the detailed information!  God bless, angeltime :heart: