Outdoor Catholic weddings?
This is interesting.  Poorly written drivel, imho, but interesting.  It would appear that the Archdioceses of Montana and Baltimore have given approval for people to get married in a location other than inside a Catholic church, despite canon law requiring it.  Can a locality trump canon law, or is this fake news? Or am I missing something?

https://www.brides.com/story/catholics-c...-us-cities
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(06-20-2018, 09:50 AM)Jeeter Wrote: This is interesting.  Poorly written drivel, imho, but interesting.  It would appear that the Archdioceses of Montana and Baltimore have given approval for people to get married in a location other than inside a Catholic church, despite canon law requiring it.  Can a locality trump canon law, or is this fake news?  Or am I missing something?

https://www.brides.com/story/catholics-c...-us-cities
Peace.....it wouldn't surprise me.  Some diocese are allowing anything just to keep good relations and attendance with the collections coming in during these difficult times.  Perhaps this is a special circumstance since we seem to take these into consideration and permit them also??  Best to contact the diocese and inquire if "outdoor weddings" are possible in their diocese and what is the criteria.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
It's apparently permitted if the bishop finds it suitable.

Can.  1118 §1. A marriage between Catholics or between a Catholic party and a non-Catholic baptized party is to be celebrated in a parish church. It can be celebrated in another church or oratory with the permission of the local ordinary or pastor.
§2. The local ordinary can permit a marriage to be celebrated in another suitable place.
§3. A marriage between a Catholic party and a non-baptized party can be celebrated in a church or in another suitable place.
(06-20-2018, 10:34 AM)Paul Wrote: It's apparently permitted if the bishop finds it suitable.

Can.  1118 §1. A marriage between Catholics or between a Catholic party and a non-Catholic baptized party is to be celebrated in a parish church. It can be celebrated in another church or oratory with the permission of the local ordinary or pastor.
§2. The local ordinary can permit a marriage to be celebrated in another suitable place.
§3. A marriage between a Catholic party and a non-baptized party can be celebrated in a church or in another suitable place.
Pax!  "Another suitable place" it appears to me, means Oratory or parish but nothing about outside under the oak tree....:) :heart:
Ah, thank you, Brides.com. You really opened my eyes. You speak of cannon law, eh? I am so disappointed with this development because a bombarda would have been perfect on my special day. Who would want a shotgun wedding these days when it is now acceptable to have matrimony with cannons! Those are probably reserved for royalty though.

In the future, I will definitely consult your stellar journalists and editorial crew when I have pressing matters over the sacrament of marriage, Catholicism and artillery.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Zubr's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(06-20-2018, 10:41 AM)angeltime Wrote: Pax!  "Another suitable place" it appears to me, means Oratory or parish but nothing about outside under the oak tree....:) :heart:

It's all about interpretation now. :)

I would agree, but I'm not a bishop. :shrug:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • angeltime
Somewhat related, someone told me that until the middle ages Catholic weddings were done outside the church doors, not in the sanctuary or even in the church like they are now.  Is there any truth to this and, if so, what was the reasoning? I get not having the couple in the sanctuary, but not having it in the church seems strange.
[Image: catherinesiena-1.jpg]
(06-20-2018, 10:34 AM)Paul Wrote: It's apparently permitted if the bishop finds it suitable.

Madness, I tells ya.

Will the bishop allow the wedding to be conducted by a priest dressed as Elvis?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Well, in certain circumstances it is permissible to have a marriage performed outside of a church; for example, if no church is near enough or if Catholicism is outlawed in a country.

But marriage ideally should be performed in a church, to remind the spouses that their marriage is part of something greater than themselves - God's Plan.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ServusDei's post:
  • angeltime
The Pope officiated a wedding aboard an airplane. It doesn’t seem to matter anymore.
Say no to NO.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paradosiakos's post:
  • Bonaventure, Sacred Heart lover