Outdoor Catholic weddings?
I have always thought outdoor weddings were quite secular in nature despite a "minister" or whoever presiding over the ceremony. 9/10 times the couple has chosen the outdoor location because "it looks pretty" (or "it's special place to us") with no hint of anything transcendent; I also don't buy the "getting married in God's creation" line either. Might as well get married at the corner of the street or let Queen Latifah be the MoC.
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.
(06-20-2018, 05:22 PM)GRA Wrote: I have always thought outdoor weddings were quite secular in nature despite a "minister" or whoever presiding over the ceremony. 9/10 times the couple has chosen the outdoor location because "it looks pretty" (or "it's special place to us") with no hint of anything transcendent; I also don't buy the "getting married in God's creation" line either. Might as well get married at the corner of the street or let Queen Latifah be the MoC.

Agree. 

Additionally, I don't understand the desire for an outdoor wedding. Planning weddings is stressful enough, without also having to worry about the inclement weather, dirt, sand, wind, glare, and bugs. 

I suspect for a lot of people it has to do with being spiritually clueless/not wanting to "submit" to whatever their conception of God/rules may be. 

Three of my relatives had outdoor weddings. One of them had an outdoor wedding twice - the first was officiated by a Catholic priest by some finagling or other by the parents, their second outdoor wedding to a new spouse was because they were entering into an irregular marriage -- they had a friend officiate and a dog as the ring bearer...  :dodgy:  

My "wedding" (since annulled, due to lack of form) was on a beach (highly forgettable) -- I wasn't yet a Catholic (hadn't even occurred to me at that point; the groom was a lapsed Catholic who had been married before and hadn't sought an annullment). The JP delivered the most cringe-worthy schlock of a sermon, complete with vague, non-committal "vows." That's another thing I can't understand people wanting at weddings -- these smarmy pseudo-vows and the corny put-ons given by whatever stripe of "minister" (or whomever) so common at outdoor weddings.  :huh:
(06-20-2018, 07:40 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 05:22 PM)GRA Wrote: I have always thought outdoor weddings were quite secular in nature despite a "minister" or whoever presiding over the ceremony. 9/10 times the couple has chosen the outdoor location because "it looks pretty" (or "it's special place to us") with no hint of anything transcendent; I also don't buy the "getting married in God's creation" line either. Might as well get married at the corner of the street or let Queen Latifah be the MoC.

Agree. 

Additionally, I don't understand the desire for an outdoor wedding. Planning weddings is stressful enough, without also having to worry about the inclement weather, dirt, sand, wind, glare, and bugs. 

I suspect for a lot of people it has to do with being spiritually clueless/not wanting to "submit" to whatever their conception of God/rules may be. 

Three of my relatives had outdoor weddings. One of them had an outdoor wedding twice - the first was officiated by a Catholic priest by some finagling or other by the parents, their second outdoor wedding to a new spouse was because they were entering into an irregular marriage -- they had a friend officiate and a dog as the ring bearer...  :dodgy:  

My "wedding" (since annulled, due to lack of form) was on a beach (highly forgettable) -- I wasn't yet a Catholic (hadn't even occurred to me at that point; the groom was a lapsed Catholic who had been married before and hadn't sought an annullment). The JP delivered the most cringe-worthy schlock of a sermon, complete with vague, non-committal "vows." That's another thing I can't understand people wanting at weddings -- these smarmy pseudo-vows and the corny put-ons given by whatever stripe of "minister" (or whomever) so common at outdoor weddings.  :huh:
Peace.....on a happier note, I heard of a young couple married inside the Catholic Church and before they left after their vows - they went over together to the statue of the Blessed Mother and prayed the Hail Mary and invited all their guests to participate - then they left down the aisle.....good plan??  God bless, angeltime :heart:
They aren't weddings. (Solemn occasion with a commitment until death.)

They are costume balls!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • GRA