Cannabis Act Legal in Ontario
(06-20-2018, 04:59 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: Yes, alcohol is fine. I'm not saying it isn't. I've just noticed that there are a lot of people who get into this cannabis versus alcohol rut when they discuss this issue and I wanted to get it out of the way that alcohol can also be bad for you but you would have to use much more.

Peace.....and there are those who have taken one drink and become a lifetime alcoholic!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
[-] The following 1 user Likes angeltime's post:
  • Melkite
NBut, I don't think that a lot of people in this society understand what moderate drinking us anymore so there's that. Lots of functional people with alcohol dependency and they don't realize. Like the wine mom jokes of today aren't very funny - there are alot of women who use alcohol as an emotional crutch and that's not good. I can't count how many mother's I've met who obviously have a problem but lean on the happy hour/wine mom joke.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cecilia9's post:
  • angeltime
The issue of becoming dependent on alcohol after one drink and becoming dependent on cannabis after one use are not comparable. I feel like you're saying they're the same risk. It's not.

Even without cannabis dependence it is still a much bigger issue in terms of life consequences. It's not just a 'some people become crazy and that's sad' issue. All cannabis use is bad for you whether you see the effects in your brain or not. It has been proven. Not all alcohol use will be bad for you. There's the difference.
Marijuana in and of itself is pretty harmless,but one must take care because marijuana magnifies your personality and thought processes and for those with prexisting mental issues that can be bad. That being said there is an ABYSS of difference in effects between strains,with Indica varieties being less of a mind race type of high than a Sativa. 

I smoke a decent indica daily and it helps calm my nerves,relax and focus. I dont feel like it's leading me to the loony bin anytime soon and I've been a pot smoker on and off since the mid 90s.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • Melkite
(06-20-2018, 03:41 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: It's not a coincidence that most criminals were using cannabis when they commited their worst crimes such as mass shootings etc. And, cigarettes are a big deal. They slowly destroy your body over time so no, I really don't agree. Alcohol is the only thing on this list that is only bad with over-use.

Most people who want to smoke pot are going to do so whether it's illegal or not. But marijuana prohibition costs society huge amounts of money, money which could be going to other things, and makes far too many people criminals just for wanting to get high.

I've never heard of people committing mass shootings while high on pot. Meth, maybe. Or some of these new drugs that are only around to attempt to get around the marijuana laws. But not pot. But maybe some of the effects are because it's grown illegally and intentionally made more harmful.

Even if they do, drug prohibition clearly hasn't worked. St Thomas Aquinas believed prostitution should be tolerated by the state, and I'm sure he knew of the harmful effects of prostitution on both body and soul. There are good reasons for toleration of drugs, too, as was the case everywhere until not too long ago.

But we'll see what the effects of this are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Melkite
You may have a higher resistance to the consequences and you have been very lucky. Again, you are an exception, but you have harmed your brain even if you are not going to the 'loony bin'. Iwould respectfully caution you against spreading the dangerous belief that it is harmless and do some research. There are impressionable people who read this forum but are not members and saying that can have consequences that we will never know about.

I would also encourage you to stop using. Why do you need it? Why don't you pray instead to focus your mind?
I personally don't see where "well it's about time" people are coming from unless they need it for medicinal purposes. Since I don't smoke weed for rec I don't see the reason to rejoice over this. If anything I'm rather amused by the fanfare and lean on the side of indifference. Let's face it: people who treat this like it's the 2nd Prohibition are delusional.

Decent read: https://www.socialmatter.net/2018/02/22/...n-immoral/
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.
(06-20-2018, 05:25 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: You may have a higher resistance to the consequences and you have been very lucky. Again, you are an exception, but you have harmed your brain even if  you are not going to the 'loony bin'. Iwould respectfully caution you against spreading the dangerous belief that it is harmless and do some research. There are impressionable people who read this forum but are not members and saying that can have consequences that we will never know about.

It can't be that harmful to someone if he's been using it for 20 years and can function normally. Maybe it's relatively harmless for some people and very dangerous for others. One problem is that nobody's allowed to study this sort of thing in a controlled manner since marijuana's deemed to have no medical use - even though there's evidence it does. It's never as simple as 'it's safe for everyone' versus 'it'll destroy everyone's brains'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Jeeter
(06-20-2018, 05:15 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: The issue of becoming dependent on alcohol after one drink and becoming dependent on cannabis after one use are not comparable. I feel like you're saying they're the same risk. It's not.

Even without cannabis dependence it is still a much bigger issue in terms of life consequences. It's not just a 'some people become crazy and that's sad' issue. All cannabis use is bad for you whether you see the effects in your brain or not. It has been proven. Not all alcohol use will be bad for you. There's the difference.
Peace.....no I am not saying it is the same risk at all.  I am very aware of the mental state that pot can put one in permanently - it is brain damage and damage to thought process.  I have had severe alcoholics in my family who suffered through hell trying to put the last drink down forever.  BUT their thinking was not impaired - only their liver.   It did do a lot of damage and both of these came back from the war in this condition that grew worse as the years went by.  While it can deteriorate minds too, I would have to say what I saw from the pot damages was worse. I believe pot opens the door to a need for harder and more dangerous drugs to get higher and higher.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
[-] The following 1 user Likes angeltime's post:
  • Cecilia9
It just baffles me how traditional Catholics can be okay with this. This will affect society as a whole.

No, they weren't high on pot at the time but they were long history users and that affects things. Prostitution is one thing and cannabis is another as I'm sure you know. One is affecting the mental health of a nation and one is a mortal sin to be engaged in from time to time. Thomas Aquinas said that to protect virgins from being raped and moral women from being debauched.

People will murder without the law too. Does that mean that we legalize it? Come on now, why do we have laws? That's silly reasoning. Do you want a bunch of teenagers to be told by the government that it's a-okay? I will let you comfort their grieving families. I'm sorry to be so harsh about this but it's such an important topic.

I've seen so many people destroyed by this awful evil thing that I can't see how anyone can justify it. Parents who thought they could do it around their kids, daughters, sons etc. If you think it's okay, that's because the drug lobbies have invested so much in this think-tank for this to go through. Guess who is going to be rolling in money.