Cannabis Act Legal in Ontario
(06-20-2018, 05:16 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Marijuana in and of itself is pretty harmless,but one must take care because marijuana magnifies your personality and thought processes and for those with prexisting mental issues that can be bad. That being said there is an ABYSS of difference in effects between strains,with Indica varieties being less of a mind race type of high than a Sativa. 

I smoke a decent indica daily and it helps calm my nerves,relax and focus. I dont feel like it's leading me to the loony bin anytime soon and I've been a pot smoker on and off since the mid 90s.

I rarely smoke it anymore because it usually causes me to be paranoid, and I don't like the way it makes my body feel.  I tried a sativa strain in Colorado that was high CBD, low THC, and I thought that was great.  No mind high or alteration of perception.  Just a very mellow, relaxing, anti-anxiety mood for a few hours.  It's nice in the states that have legalized it too because you know what you're getting.  You know it won't have any additives in it that you aren't aware about, which I think is usually the cause of the problems Cecilia's referencing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • formerbuddhist
(06-20-2018, 06:58 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: Marijuana is much, much stronger than alcohol so I am inclined to think that it is a mortal sin most of the time. Now, even if I am wrong and sometimes it is not so strong, you are still consciously choosing to harm your god-given body with it. But, really now, it is not the same thing as having a beer. And, I have a lot of negative associations with alcohol but I'm still going to be fair about this. Prostitution is a very big mortal sin and it is worse than marijuana in a lot of ways but that's not the point. This is about marijuana's effect on society at large. I feel like you're leading me on a cat-chase here.

Ok, there are a LOT of things that cause minor harm to our God-given bodies that no one considers sinful.  If your moral argument against marijuana is the bodily harm it can cause to your God-given body, then I hope you always choose to put down that Big Mac.  I hope you have never gotten a tattoo.  I hope you have never relaxed on a beach for more than 30 minutes a day.  I hope you've never had your sons circumcised.  I hope you didn't pierce your ears.  I hope you always turn away from the box of ho-hos, or pass up Mrs. Butterworth's on your buckwheat-bran pancakes.  And don't even think of touching that bacon!

In short, if you've done anything that can be remotely harmful to your God-given body, that's a mighty high horse for a hypocrite to sit upon so confidently.
Okay, so I really think that I've said everything I could say already. There are some former and current pot smokers who refuse to believe that this does major damage to the brain. I accept that and I don't think I can debate you into looking at the facts. People don't like hearing the truth and I get that.

Melkite why are you being so rude about this? No I won't circumcise my sons and I don't eat fast food. What a bizarre thing to say? Those are silly arguments you're throwing at me. Do you feel personally attacked or something? I'm not trying to offend anyone. This is just too important to tiptoe around feelings. Total families have been and will be destroyed by this thing. I have talked to them and seen way too many cases. Go to a place where it is practically legal and you will be able to see the evidence. Look up the evidence yourself even. But you probably won't because you've already reacted pretty strongly to this. I would examine my conscience to see where that's coming from.

My husband has smoked pot before and was also shocked that anyone who is Catholic could defend it. He said that it was practically impossible for it to not be a mortal sin most of the time unless you took the tiniest bit which most don't. You basically lose your judgement and senses every time. Honesty is his best quality so I believe him.

So there's nothing more to say really. Thank you for being polite and debating with me Paul. I appreciate your point of view even if I don't agree.
P.S I have done nothing on that list except be on a beach haha
(06-21-2018, 02:47 AM)MaryTN Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 12:59 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Legalize all of it.
Who takes care of the unintended consequences?

People would. That's how life works.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(06-21-2018, 12:14 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: My husband has smoked pot before and was also shocked that anyone who is Catholic could defend it. 

[Image: popeleococaine.jpg]

Vin Mariani was full of cocaine. Pope St. Pius X loved and endorsed it as well.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(06-21-2018, 12:14 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: Okay, so I really think that I've said everything I could say already. There are some former and current pot smokers who refuse to believe that this does major damage to the brain. I accept that and I don't think I can debate you into looking at the facts. People don't like hearing the truth and I get that.

Melkite why are you being so rude about this? No I won't circumcise my sons and I don't eat fast food. What a bizarre thing to say? Those are silly arguments you're throwing at me. Do you feel personally attacked or something? I'm not trying to offend anyone. This is just too important to tiptoe around feelings. Total families have been and will be destroyed by this thing. I have talked to them and seen way too many cases. Go to a place where it is practically legal and you will be able to see the evidence. Look up the evidence yourself even. But you probably won't because you've already reacted pretty strongly to this. I would examine my conscience to see where that's coming from.

My husband has smoked pot before and was also shocked that anyone who is Catholic could defend it. He said that it was practically impossible for it to not be a mortal sin most of the time unless you took the tiniest bit which most don't. You basically lose your judgement and senses every time. Honesty is his best quality so I believe him.

So there's nothing more to say really. Thank you for being polite and debating with me Paul. I appreciate your point of view even if I don't agree.

I'm glad to hear you don't do most of those things.  My point was, it is not a mortal sin to do things for moderate enjoyment, even if there is sometimes a small risk of personal harm.  You are grossly exaggerating the harm that comes from smoking marijuana, and some of the things you've stated as consequences are flat out wrong.  I don't feel like you were personally attacking me, but I think you are perpetuating myths about marijuana usage that are largely untrue based on your personal, anecdotal, experience.

My anecdotal experience is that some people who smoke marijuana go way too far with it, while most use it in moderation and are not affected negatively in the long term by their use of it.  Those people who go way too far with it, in my experience, have addictive personalities.  It's not the marijuana that is the problem; it is that they are predisposed to become addicted to something.  If it wasn't marijuana, it would have been something else.  Most of the people I know who have smoked marijuana have never used anything else.  So that it is a gateway drug is a myth.

You also stated (I think it was you; forgive me if it was someone else) that violent crime has increased with marijuana use.  Violent crime rates went down in Colorado and Washington state after the introduction of recreational marijuana.  Car accidents went up marginally in Colorado, and then fell back to pre-legalisation rates.  The first thing that surprised me when I went to Colorado is how responsible people are who use marijuana.  You would think the majority of people are refusing to touch the stuff - and that may be true.  But the dispensaries are always busy.  And they are taking the regulations seriously.  They want to be known as a state of responsible usage, a notion you would have us believe is impossible.

As far as your husband's experience goes, I can't argue with it.  I can just give you my own.  I have never felt like I have lost my use of reason.  I have been able, while under the influence of cannabis, to avoid sins as easily as I would when sober - something I cannot do when I have had more than two or three drinks.  Even after two I get a little looser with saying what I'm thinking, which isn't always a good thing.  While my bodily sensations are off in some ways, my thoughts are clear enough to recognize, while it is happening, that those bodily sensations aren't an accurate representation of what is happening to me.  What other drug allows you that level of mental clarity while you are under its influence?  In my experience, due to the anxiety I usually experience with most strains of marijuana that I've tried, I usually pray more than regularly (although, I'll be the first to admit that that is not a justifiable reason to start smoking marijuana).  You're painting a broad picture where virtually everybody who uses marijuana is effected as severely as those with addictive or other personality disorders are by it, and that is very, very far from the truth.
Anyone who thinks pot is worse than booze is living under a rock. I've used everything under the sun, I currently smoke daily and there's no comparison between pot and alcohol and other drugs.

Don't take my word for it, just look up the statistics for yourself. Pot has killed zero people and has a negligible effect on society when legalized. Alcohol and cigarettes? Not so much...
[-] The following 2 users Like seanipie's post:
  • formerbuddhist, Melkite
I don't know why I am still here. Maybe because you are all just trolling me now. It's not about addiction and it never was. Mental illnesses and brain damage are the topics here. I'm not talking about anecdotal stories either. I sense a huge bias in your arguments melkite with your friends so I won't push further there.

I am leaving a link for you to read and that's it. I cannot do it with my stupid phone so type peterhitchens. Daily mail arguments for drug legislation into Google. Read it and you will see the links for all of the evidence. I am too lazy to post it here.

Voxclamantis, the only thing I can say is, 'really?' I guess I should start taking cocaine now. I'll inform everyone I know. If the pope says so, it must be fine.

Please stop trolling me. I'm just a young twenty something concerned about the world my children will live in.
Why is everyone on this website smoking pot?? This is just a joke now, seriously. How many more of you are going to come out of the floorboards? I'm actually laughing now. This is so ridiculous. Stop it, people! You're catholics!

My husband just came home and is laughing at me too. He says that you're probably making fun of me. I think I've had enough now. Peace out!