Cannabis Act Legal in Ontario
(06-22-2018, 02:25 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I'm sure eventually the feds will figure out some THC equivalent of the blood alcohol level as well as a test to bust drivers. It is probably a good idea to deter people from stupidly going on a gravity bong binge and trying to weave through rush hour or whatever.

DUIs in the US are state laws, not federal, although they are in Canada since criminal law there is a federal responsibility. People already get arrested for driving under the influence of marijuana, and it depends on how bad your driving is and how badly you do on the tests. And it depends on how the law's written, which often makes it illegal to drive with any sort of substance in your body that impairs your ability to drive. Without a set level, it's sometimes harder to prove, but it's already illegal.
(06-22-2018, 02:49 PM)Paul Wrote:
(06-22-2018, 09:37 AM)Zubr Wrote: Another issue that is causing serious questions is how do workplaces handle legalization now? Smoke break has a whole new meaning.

I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but I don't see why this would affect anything. Show up drunk to work, and get fired. There's no reason employers have to allow employees to smoke during work hours any more than they have to allow drinking at work. Just because you can't go to jail for something doesn't mean you can do it on company time. Unless Canada has laws restricting the ability of an employer to fire someone, this seems like a non-issue to me.
Peace.....there are labor laws that provide a 15 min break twice a day/shift and 30 mins-1hr for lunch.  During that time, many people who smoke go outside to a designated area or for a walk to have their smoke.  Others may go out for lunch a include "a" drink with it.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(06-22-2018, 02:49 PM)Paul Wrote: I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but I don't see why this would affect anything. Show up drunk to work, and get fired. There's no reason employers have to allow employees to smoke during work hours any more than they have to allow drinking at work. Just because you can't go to jail for something doesn't mean you can do it on company time. Unless Canada has laws restricting the ability of an employer to fire someone, this seems like a non-issue to me.
It’s not just the issue of “show up high, get fired” which employers do have the right to enforce. Federal employment legislation (Employment Standards Act) already states that employees cannot come to work impaired. However, a zero-tolerance policy may be too difficult to implement as well. But that’s not the big issue…

The issue is that organizations have to revise their workplace policies and the government isn't providing much time or guidance. One area of this is accommodation. When medicinal marijuana was legalized years ago, workplaces had to accommodate those with disabilities and ensure they could fulfill the tasks of their job while medicated/medicating. There are concerns that some employees may develop substance abuse problems with easier access to a legal drug now. (Again, theoretical.) Since substance abuse is considered mental illness, it qualifies as an area that can receive accommodation. If a manager sees a reduction of production or just signs of withdrawal at work, as a result of substance abuse, and outright terminates them, the employer can be found in violation of “human rights” by the Human Rights Commission. Has there been case law on this yet? No, but the legal eagles expect them to roll in.

So, there is a push for more “progressive policies” in relation to workers who use. This causes more bureaucracy because advocates suggest listing who receives medicinal versus recreational drug use, and then, different accommodations. From there, workplaces are being urged to redefine or examine what is “intoxication” or “impairment” in that particular workplace. This would apply to someone who used whatever during work hours since work lunches do involve booze. There are concerns over what is acceptable at company parties too.

As you know, some occupations require drug testing in order to be considered competent to fulfill one’s work requirements. There are times drug tests are requested if an employee is suspected of showing up high or there was a workplace accident. Then, some occupations require drug testing for reasons of public safety. (Some long-haul truckers or anyone with an A-Z license, heavy equipment operators, military, etc) and work place drug testing was already a contentious issue. With more people probably using or experimenting, some have called for random drug testing in workplaces. Obviously, this doesn’t fly with a lot of people who are entitled to privacy. It’s too early to say what exactly will happen yet but again, it’s leaving employers out in the cold concerning workplace policy.

I'm not against legalization but I just think the Trudeau government handled this, and other issues, very sloppily.

So that I don't look like a loon that pulled up employer concerns out of the sky, some links:
High Time to Review Workplace Policies
Over Half of Canadian Workplaces Concerned Over Legalization
Canadian Workplaces Unready for Legal Pot

(06-20-2018, 04:25 PM)Paradosiakos Wrote: Alcohol can’t be all bad. Jesus made the best wine ever at the wedding feast at Cana. :cheers:

Peace.....I don't know much about pot, and wondered if one has a hangover after over-indulging like there can be with alcohol??  I did hear someone say once, that one gets very hungry after smoking pot. ??  Why would that be - does it burn up the food in your stomach?  Couldn't this cause ulcers? (if over-indulging)  Tks and God bless, angeltime :heart:
At least here where I live you can't even smoke cigarettes almost anywhere outside any workplace unless it's in designated areas. Even if they did legalize marijuana here,the likelihood that it would even be feasible to smoke on ones lunch break is questionable. Personally i wouldn't have a desire to smoke weed on my lunch break. Theres still kind of a stigma associated with it.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon