How I’m dealin pg with the latest scandals in the church
Dear Catholic friends,

I’m on holiday on a remote Greek island and when I checked my Feedly feeds, low and behold, another scandal in the church concerning Card. McCarrick, and of course, more airplane theology from the Holy Father. 

Here is a blog post on how I deal with these things:

https://lapsedcatholicreturns.wordpress....-scandals/

Summer is a really lovely season. June is the month of the Sacred Heart. Let’s enjoy it in a truly Catholic way. These guys who trample on the sacred teachings of the Church are going to get what they deserve. Question is: what do YOU deserve? 

Work on that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Julia Augusta's post:
  • kunoichi
(06-22-2018, 04:44 PM)Julia Augusta Wrote: Dear Catholic friends,

I’m on holiday on a remote Greek island and when I checked my Feedly feeds, low and behold, another scandal in the church concerning Card. McCarrick, and of course, more airplane theology from the Holy Father. 

Here is a blog post on how I deal with these things:

https://lapsedcatholicreturns.wordpress....-scandals/

Summer is a really lovely season. June is the month of the Sacred Heart. Let’s enjoy it in a truly Catholic way. These guys who trample on the sacred teachings of the Church are going to get what they deserve. Question is: what do YOU deserve? 

Work on that.

I read your blog and it looks like you are doing all the right things! One comment I would make is that Pope Francis is not off the hook just because he preaches errors on airplanes; the Vatican has printed all of his airplane theology on the Vatican website. This is the primary vehicle used by the Vatican to teach the faithful of the world, so they have assumed ownership of these erroneous teachings, and Pope Francis is not making public corrections - he's leaving the errors out there over and over and over.

It's impossible for a pope to do such things and it's important to know what the Church teaches in this regard:

"The question was also raised (at the First Vatican Council) by a Cardinal, “What is to be done with the Pope if he becomes a heretic?” It was answered that there has never been such a case; the Council of Bishops could depose him for heresy, for from the moment he becomes a heretic he is not the head or even a member of the Church. The Church would not be, for a moment, obliged to listen to him when he begins to teach a doctrine the Church knows to be a false doctrine, and he would cease to be Pope, being deposed by God Himself. If the Pope, for instance, were to say that the belief in God is false, you would not be obliged to believe him, or if he were to deny the rest of the creed, “I believe in Christ,” etc. The supposition is injurious to the Holy Father in the very idea, but serves to show you the fullness with which the subject has been considered and the ample thought given to every possibility. If he denies any dogma of the Church held by every true believer, he is no more Pope than either you or I; and so in this respect the dogma of infallibility amounts to nothing as an article of temporal government or cover for heresy." Abp. John B. Purcell, quoted in Rev. James J. McGovern, Life and Life Work of Pope Leo XIII, imprimatur 1903

[-] The following 1 user Likes pabbie's post:
  • Julia Augusta
Just want to say "Welcome Home"!  Am looking at your website now.  I like it so far.  I also am hoping to grow ever stronger in my faith and know that an intensive sacramental and prayer life--with some penance thrown in--is key to fighting the spiritual battle we are facing in the growing evils of our world.  And, yes, we need to stick to what the Church has always taught and read edifying things from the Saints, etc.

The scandals are nonstop these days in the Church but a certain detachment must be sought.  I am speaking to myself there.

Ave Maria!
Ave Maria!
I like your blog. You mentioned you like to read books prior to 1960. Some one suggested I read the Spirago Catechism Explained it's an interesting read. It was published in 1899.
https://archive.org/stream/catechismexpl...5/mode/1up
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
(06-23-2018, 07:56 AM)BobR67 Wrote: I like your blog. You mentioned you like to read books prior to 1960. Some one suggested I read the Spirago Catechism Explained it's an interesting read. It was published in 1899.
https://archive.org/stream/catechismexpl...5/mode/1up

I ordered Catechism Explained by Spirago (published by TAN books, and leather bound) from St. Bonaventure Publications. It is now out of print. TAN no longer publishes it. But you can find it online for free. I read the online version when traveling.