Interesting Comment
(06-27-2018, 12:47 AM)yablabo Wrote: The primary purpose of the female breast is to provide sustenance to the infant-kind.

Judging morality from the subjective will also not suffice as what sexually arouses men is various, from feminine beauty, to male body parts, to animals.  None of which classes those as intimate per se.

So women should go topless?   :huh:
(06-27-2018, 12:49 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 12:47 AM)yablabo Wrote: The primary purpose of the female breast is to provide sustenance to the infant-kind.

Judging morality from the subjective will also not suffice as what sexually arouses men is various, from feminine beauty, to male body parts, to animals.  None of which classes those as intimate per se.

So women should go topless?   :huh:

Is it proper for women to expose their breasts and other private parts in public?
Quote:Yablabo
Is it proper for women to expose their breasts and other private parts in public?

I don't think I'm understanding you.

What is your argument?  

That a woman covering her head is just as important as covering her breasts?
(06-27-2018, 09:32 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:

What is your argument?  

The question I asked is meant to point out the hypocrisy: modesty treated as a dress code rather than a virtue.  There is so much concern about T & A because of their passionate effect, but little to no concern about divine law where it has no passionate effect and goes against local custom.
Quote:The question I asked is meant to point out the hypocrisy: modesty treated as a dress code rather than a virtue.  There is so much concern about T & A because of their passionate effect, but little to no concern about divine law where it has no passionate effect and goes against local custom.

Divine law?  Local custom?

Are you referring to head covering in Church?

You're not being very clear.

I don't see anyone treating modesty as a dress code rather than a virtue.  

It is virtuous to consider how what you wear affects your brothers in Christ.
(06-27-2018, 10:00 AM)yablabo Wrote:

What is your argument?  

The question I asked is meant to point out the hypocrisy: modesty treated as a dress code rather than a virtue.  There is so much concern about T & A because of their passionate effect, but little to no concern about divine law where it has no passionate effect and goes against local custom.

I'm confused too.  I think I get what you're saying to a degree; the breast has a dual purpose, although the primary purpose and design is as an infant replenishment device.  Hence a wife exposing her breast to feed her child has a different effect than exposing it to her husband during intimacy. 

Local custom is where you lost me.  You asked previously if it's proper for women to expose their breasts in public, but in some regions, topless beaches are the custom.  In some remote regions, it's acceptable for women to go topless.  It would seem these cultures place more emphasis on the feeding, rather that sensual, aspects of the breast.  Thoughts?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(06-27-2018, 11:05 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:00 AM)yablabo Wrote:

What is your argument?  

I'm confused too.  I think I get what you're saying to a degree; the breast has a dual purpose, although the primary purpose and design is as an infant replenishment device.  Hence a wife exposing her breast to feed her child has a different effect than exposing it to her husband during intimacy. 

Local custom is where you lost me.  You asked previously if it's proper for women to expose their breasts in public, but in some regions, topless beaches are the custom.  In some remote regions, it's acceptable for women to go topless.  It would seem these cultures place more emphasis on the feeding, rather that sensual, aspects of the breast.  Thoughts?

It's a divine law (found in scripture and tradition) that women are to cover their head during prayer and prophecy.  That is opposed to local custom in the USA, Canada, and most of Western Europe.  That divine law does not refer only a woman's presence at sacred services.  Also, it is a natural moral precept, that a woman is to cover her hair in public (found also in scripture and tradition, as well as taught most vehemently by St. John Chrysostom).  That is also opposed to local custom in the USA, Canada, and most of Western Europe.  All that pretty much adds up to a woman covering her head in public.

My point is, if she doesn't do even that (i.e., cover her head) where no passion would drive or effect one way or another, then why should anyone expect her to be moral in another regard and cover her breasts when passion can so reward such an exposure?
(06-27-2018, 11:20 AM)yablabo Wrote: My point is, if she doesn't do even that (i.e., cover her head) where no passion would drive or effect one way or another, then why should anyone expect her to be moral in another regard and cover her breasts when passion can so reward such an exposure?

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation! :)
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Regarding the "intimate" nature of breasts. I think there's something of a scale. I mean there are plenty of Maria Lactans images which are not intended to be sexual in the slightest, rather they seem to magnify Mary's chastity.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!