Discussing Fish Eaters
(07-11-2018, 01:45 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Another thing is that people on here, for the most part, seem like real regular people who are just trying to get through their daily lives as good practicing Catholics. There are good days and bad days and we're not perfect, but we keep trying to improve ourselves and increase our love for God. When someone falls, people here will council and help the person pick themselves up rather than attacking the person and putting themselves as some sort of paragon of virtue and perfection... an attitude that you tend to see in many Catholic forums. It's why I tend to like it here better than elsewhere.

Glad the place has this "feel" about it. I can't stand fake "why I nevah!" attitudes, coyness, puritanical attitudes, and other forms of persona put-ons -- when people pretend -- apparently even to themselves -- that they're something they're not, when they basically go through life like perpetual actors on a stage. Drives me nuts. I mean, everyone has a face they put out there in the world, but some are so disinengenuous, it makes me pazz'. The trad Catholic style of the bogus persona is extra-annoying because it tends to be really boring, critical, pretentious, and un-fun. Bugs me when some people talk about everything they personally dislike (or don't understand) as demonic or "against Church teaching" or something. One giveaway is the use of "we" language, as in "what should we think about this TV show?", as if we all have to have the same opinion, as if everything that's a problem for one is a problem for all, etc.

Another giveaway (these are rules of thumb, of course) is the use of archaic language. When a 19-yr old boy refers to girls as "maidens," I tend to think he's not being genuine, or that he's sort of living "in a dream" of sorts. 

I like that people around here tend to be "real." Refreshing.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 6 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, Dominicus, Fionnchu, Florus, Mark Williams, Roger Buck
(07-11-2018, 02:14 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: One giveaway is the use of "we" language, as in "what should we think about this TV show?", as if we all have to have the same opinion, as if everything that's a problem for one is a problem for all, etc.

Another giveaway (these are rules of thumb, of course) is the use of archaic language. When a 19-yr old boy refers to girls as "maidens," I tend to think he's not being genuine, or that he's sort of living "in a dream" of sorts. 

Verily, thou speakest words of unfailing wisdom, fair Dudette!  : - )

Seriously, your point about "what should we think" etc is especially well-taken. Relief!
Click to see at Amazon
[Image: charles-coulombe-120h.png]

Hear the FIRST CHAPTER on my YouTube Channel:

See my Three Books here at Amazon: viewauthor.at/RogerBuck
(07-11-2018, 02:14 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 01:45 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Another thing is that people on here, for the most part, seem like real regular people who are just trying to get through their daily lives as good practicing Catholics. There are good days and bad days and we're not perfect, but we keep trying to improve ourselves and increase our love for God. When someone falls, people here will council and help the person pick themselves up rather than attacking the person and putting themselves as some sort of paragon of virtue and perfection... an attitude that you tend to see in many Catholic forums. It's why I tend to like it here better than elsewhere.

Glad the place has this "feel" about it. I can't stand fake "why I nevah!" attitudes, coyness, puritanical attitudes, and other forms of persona put-ons -- when people pretend -- apparently even to themselves -- that they're something they're not, when they basically go through life like perpetual actors on a stage. Drives me nuts. I mean, everyone has a face they put out there in the world, but some are so disinengenuous, it makes me pazz'. The trad Catholic style of the bogus persona is extra-annoying because it tends to be really boring, critical, pretentious, and un-fun. Bugs me when some people talk about everything they personally dislike (or don't understand) as demonic or "against Church teaching" or something. One giveaway is the use of "we" language, as in "what should we think about this TV show?", as if we all have to have the same opinion, as if everything that's a problem for one is a problem for all, etc.

Precisely why I like this place over places such as Tradition In Action. While they may have some good articles I find that for whatever reason it feels very false and disingenuine. Its hardly comforting and moreso feels rather judgmental.

Fisheaters on the other hand, is much more like a community. We have members who represent all kinds of traditional Catholicism. Most other Trad sites lack the same down to earth attitude instead worrying about ruffling their petticoats.

Fisheaters is also very practical rather than focusing on unrealistic goals. The articles on the main site are very informative and are part of what helped me first learn about Catholicism.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominicus's post:
  • Roger Buck
I also really appreciate the real, down to earth feeling here. I am quite put off when I encounter any one of Vox's examples above.

I like the non-apologetical, more discussion based tone of this forum. This isn't a hive mind that shuns all with different views, which is very important for any community.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • Roger Buck
(07-08-2018, 09:53 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: Back to FE, the more Pope Francis and his cohorts tamp down traditional Catholicism and orthodoxy FE is turning into the equivalent of the World War II French Resistance.

Since the World War II French Resistance was mostly communist controlled, I like to think of us as the Armées catholique et royale in the Vendée or the Chouannerie in Brittany fighting against the Revolution in the northwest of France in the 1790s. 

Of course, the Vendéens were also called L'armée rouge (the Red Army) because this was their emblem:

[Image: serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2...d8a05c505e]

And we don't have powerful allies sending us supplies like the resistance did unlike the Catholic Counter-Revolutionaries.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, Roger Buck
When I first converted, I looked around the 'net for some Catholic info, and found a forum, and I stayed at that one and only that one for quite a while. 

After a time I noticed that certain topics there were off limits, there wasn't freedom to ask real questions. It was super over-moderated, especially when it came to "traditionalism." 

Then someone who was only very briefly there (they did nothing wrong in my eyes, but were quickly banned) said something that caught my attention, and he was getting a lot of flack on the forum for it -- but I pm'ed him my support for his opinion, and he linked me to Rorate Caeli blog -- this was at the time of Francis' trip to America. Phew, my eyes were really being opened at that time -- it coincided with my tolerance for the NO wearing very thin. 

Soon after that, I came back to FE (I'd registered long ago but never participated, that I recall) and what was so great was that people could be honest about their misgivings and doubts, didn't have to tip-toe on eggshells, and could actually get somewhere in seeking certain answers without all the pussyfooting around. And all of the info about the Church is a treasure trove. So thankful to have found it, even though sometimes there's discussion I don't care for or agree with -- but I think that's one of the positive things about FE, actually. 

P.S. Back at that original forum I used to go on: I once linked to something from FE there, and my post was quickly deleted, and I was chastised for copying and pasting "from a forbidden website." I replied, "Seems like a perfectly respectable website to me." I've rarely gone back there, but when I have, my posts are usually deleted. I've been tarred and feathered there for having the gall to compare/contrast the TLM with the NO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Margaret-Mary's post:
  • Roger Buck
Quote:Would also like to hear from individuals what FE means to you personally ...

Personally, this place feels mostly like a way to kill the time for me, and it is something that I have been pondering giving up.  I used to be interested in a lot of the things that people would post here.  I really enjoyed the liturgical and theological discussions, and the political commentary was interesting and something that I had not really ever been exposed to at the time.  Also, this site really helped introduce me to the Catholic traditions that bring the faith alive, and for that I am eternally indebted to Vox (the whole section of this website devoted to articles discussing the faith, history and tradition is pure gold and is what hooked me).  There were some really interesting discussions a couple of years ago.  I think I remember that one of the posters who went dark mentioned that the place just had a different feel to him.  It seems the same to me now, too.

This is not to say that the concept for this site isn't an interesting one.  After all, how many traditional Catholic chat boards exist, and that allow you to have a dissenting opinion?  But, overall, I just feel like it is getting away from that.  On top of it, I really don't like the anonymity of the internet.  It is all well and good to have discussions, but I cannot develop any form of real friendship with any of the people on this forum.  

Also, this is my own personal complaint, so hate on me if you want;  this forum really just seems (to me) to be morphing into a chat room for conspiracy theorists, people dropping links to their blogs, women with personal issues (sort of like a Catholic Dear Abby).  I am not saying that these things are bad or problematic in se, but when the whole forum starts to become that... you just get bored with it to be frank.

Anyhow, you asked my opinion so there she be.
[-] The following 3 users Like Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • Fionnchu, Roger Buck, VoxClamantis
(07-11-2018, 09:46 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: ... this forum really just seems (to me) to be morphing into a chat room for conspiracy theorists, people dropping links to their blogs, women with personal issues...

Agree, and would add, "men (maybe women too?) going into far more sexual detail than necessary." 

Also, it seems that online forums in general just don't have the same kind of intense discussion and involvement they did several years ago.
(07-11-2018, 09:46 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: Also, this is my own personal complaint, so hate on me if you want;  this forum really just seems (to me) to be morphing into a chat room for conspiracy theorists, people dropping links to their blogs, women with personal issues (sort of like a Catholic Dear Abby).  I am not saying that these things are bad or problematic in se, but when the whole forum starts to become that... you just get bored with it to be frank.

I didn't bother listing the negatives but I wholeheartedly agree.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
I can't help but agree with you in some aspects, JA. It's too bad the forum's not nearly as active as it once was. I blame all the confusion mostly surrounding Pope Francis, it seems to me that his main accomplishment so far is making trads feel even more alienated than usual.

But at the same time, this place is one of the few places on the web trads can discuss things like this. I'm hoping that sometime soon more people will come on this forum, or better yet there's some actual changes in the Church and we become able to speak our minds without fear of upsetting NO folk without needing recourse to internet fora.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 2 users Like Dominicus's post:
  • Fionnchu, Roger Buck