Discussing Fish Eaters
(07-11-2018, 09:46 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: this forum really just seems (to me) to be morphing into a chat room for conspiracy theorists,

This has been a concern of mine, as well. There have been threads to which my reaction has been, 'My God, how many people, prospective converts and NO 'conservatives' interested in Tradition, are we driving away?' If I were a seeker and I ran across some of the threads over the last year or so, I would run, not walk, as far away from Traditional Catholicism as I could get.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 6 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Dominicus, Fionnchu, Florus, OldRightGeorge, Roger Buck, VoxClamantis
(07-11-2018, 11:15 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 09:46 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: this forum really just seems (to me) to be morphing into a chat room for conspiracy theorists,

This has been a concern of mine, as well. There have been threads to which my reaction has been, 'My God, how many people, prospective converts and NO 'conservatives' interested in Tradition, are we driving away?' If I were a seeker and I ran across some of the threads over the last year or so, I would run, not walk, as far away from Traditional Catholicism as I could get.

Yep
(07-11-2018, 11:15 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I agree. But at least the flat earth thread is dead.  :D
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
I agree with a lot of negatives people are commenting on (and I apologize if I have personally encouraged any of it). I'll admit imbibing conspiracies can be addicting. But if we want more theological or political or philosophical discussions, shouldn't those who feel most strongly about this try to start more threads? And do more than just post a link to a news article, but open up discussion with a quality opening post.
Ave Christus Rex!
(07-11-2018, 10:17 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote: Also, it seems that online forums in general just don't have the same kind of intense discussion and involvement they did several years ago.

(07-11-2018, 11:08 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I can't help but agree with you in some aspects, JA. It's too bad the forum's not nearly as active as it once was. I blame all the confusion mostly surrounding Pope Francis, it seems to me that his main accomplishment so far is making trads feel even more alienated than usual.

I would say that a big part of it is that traditional internet forums aren't a thing anymore. In general across the internet, participation in traditional forums are on the downswing. Sure, long standing super popular forums are still doing fine, but smaller forums aren't really exploding anymore. Most participation that you find is on social media and Reddit.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • Roger Buck
Back in the late 80's/early 90's, Jim Beam ran a very successful advertising campaign called "Back to the Basics."  Below is an exemplary advert:

[Image: JimBeamBackToBasics1991.jpg]

I've always liked this slogan, because it is very true.  Following the above advert, one could create a similar meme, starting at the same time frame and continuing to the present day, which would start with TLM, continue with all the zany creations and improvisations, and conclude back at the TLM wherein (at least some of us) have come complete circle and are again 'back to the basics.'  If anything Fisheaters has taught me, including this forum, it's that we need to get 'back to the basics.'
[-] The following 5 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • Fionnchu, jovan66102, Roger Buck, Some Guy, VoxClamantis
(07-12-2018, 09:23 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I would say that a big part of it is that traditional internet forums aren't a thing anymore. In general across the internet, participation in traditional forums are on the downswing. Sure, long standing super popular forums are still doing fine, but smaller forums aren't really exploding anymore. Most participation that you find is on social media and Reddit.

The super forums have money (guess where they get it!) and can advertise and all that, and they can squash smaller places like bugs, like Catholic Culture did to me. It's disgusting what they (and Catholic Answers forum moderators) did to FishEaters. If I had money, I'd have sued them.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Bonaventure, Roger Buck
I know lot's of people who think CAF is a joke. Due to the Francis effect, it's gotten alot more liberal than it was over 5 yrs ago.
(07-12-2018, 01:41 PM)Eric F Wrote: I know lot's of people who think CAF is a joke. Due to the Francis effect, it's gotten alot more liberal than it was over 5 yrs ago.

I went there a while back and thought that their forum redesign was hideous. I'm not sure who decided on that, must have been a way to try to compete with Reddit, who, while their Catholicism subreddit isn't the greatest, still probably pulls away lots of potential visitors from CAF.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
This is an interesting discussion and everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but I see some inconsistency here.

On the one hand, we have statements such as this:

Quote:One giveaway is the use of "we" language, as in "what should we think about this TV show?", as if we all have to have the same opinion, as if everything that's a problem for one is a problem for all, etc.

Quote:This isn't a hive mind that shuns all with different views, which is very important for any community.

That's great!  Freedom of speech and freedom of thought. 

And on the other hand:

Quote:this forum really just seems (to me) to be morphing into a chat room for conspiracy theorists

Quote:I agree. But at least the flat earth thread is dead.  [Image: biggrin.png]

So which is it?

I'm sure if internet forums were available during the time of Columbus, his views would be lambasted as an outrageous conspiracy which should be squashed on an up an up traditional site which has a reputation to uphold.

Such well known traditional priests as Bishop Athanasius, Fr. Gruner, Fr. Kramer, and Fr. Ripperger have all discussed at length the reality of a Luciferian cult with a well laid out plan from over a century ago, seeking to destroy the Church and create a NWO, one world government, and religion.  Shouldn't we learn about this?  They say we should.

We are in a war, but who are we really at war with and what are their plans and objectives.  The truth is they have been writing and talking about their plans and objectives for a century now but no one paid attention, and those that did were ostracized as "crazy conspiracy theorists".

Is there a list of conspiracies (such a dirty word that is) that are "kosher" for traditional Catholic forums?

These are outrageous times, and outrageous conspiracies should only be expected.  Some true and some false.

Separating fact from fiction requires laying out all the evidence and having the freedom to discuss it without fear of snide ad hominems and ridicule which shed no light on the subject, in no way furthers the discernment of truth, and are simply uncharitable to our fellow Fishies.

In fact fear of ridicule or "what people might think" acts like a vice restricting one from thinking like an outlier, outside the box that is.  The powers that shouldn't be know this and use it to their advantage.

Why not let the evidence speak for itself and allow people to discuss what they want and come to their own conclusions.  Or are we more worried about "our image"?

Should we just blindly trust the media and government and assume the outrageous social engineering, weaponized mass migration, establishment of the panopticon police state, increasing pressures for worldwide war, and dismantling of our Church is merely an unfortunate coincidence?

Are we allowed to look at things from a macro scale?

Some folks may prefer to look at things from a micro perspective and that's fine too if that's their cup of tea.

Quote:The super forums have money (guess where they get it!) and can advertise and all that, and they can squash smaller places like bugs, like Catholic Culture did to me. It's disgusting what they (and Catholic Answers forum moderators) did to FishEaters.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me...

Quote:I agree with a lot of negatives people are commenting on (and I apologize if I have personally encouraged any of it). I'll admit imbibing conspiracies can be addicting. But if we want more theological or political or philosophical discussions, shouldn't those who feel most strongly about this try to start more threads? And do more than just post a link to a news article, but open up discussion with a quality opening post.

Yep.  

Why apologize?

It seems to me that the conspiracy threads get a lot of discussion for some reason.  If folks are interested in discussing other things then those other things will get their share of the discussion.  

Isn't that how a free market (or free discussion board) works?
[-] The following 2 users Like Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Roger Buck, Some Guy