Single child and Traditional Catholic Priesthood ?
+PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM+

I had announced on this forum that I have re-started my vocation discernment this April. However, I withheld this fact that I am the single child of my parents (Wish I had disclosed this earlier ! Undecided ). I was and am the only hope my parents have ever had in their marriage. As I officially disclosed my intentions to join the FSSP this July, my parents are hesitant to give their approval to me joining the priesthood in the FSSP and are taking time to arrive at a decision as well as suggesting me to reconsider my decision to join the FSSP. The FSSP vocations director for my region suggested that mine is a difficult case, considering the fact that should I become a priest in the Fraternity, I would be posted overseas in countries far away from India (not even in South Asia) and away from my parents such that it would be difficult to support my parents during their old age - but not impossible  Smile !

My father is a practicing Catholic, albeit not a devout one. My mother is a devout Catholic like me but she doesn't trust conservatives or traditionalists. Also, the recent sexual abuse scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church flood the daily newspapers in India and have created a negative, sinister image about Catholicism and Christianity among people of other religions and this is the biggest concern of my parents ! Confused Confused

Does being a single child cause it become an impediment to the Catholic priesthood ? I am neither trying to escape poverty nor responsibilities towards my parents as a son but I immensely desire to join a Traditional Catholic Order. Although, there is a local seminary in a different suburban section of Mumbai (Bombay) where I reside, I don't feel convinced to join the seminary because it reeks of modernism and heterodoxy (as some people on this forum have assessed in a previous thread of mine titled,"Is scrupulosity bad?") and I will feel a complete mismatch in that type of "liberalism-infused" environment.

I have opened my heart to make sacrifices and continuing to march on towards my vocation irrespective of all obstacles in the way and I pray for all the people who assist in me in the journey as well as those who act as an obstacle. Smile  Just this valid concern keeps popping up in my head ! Huh

Seeking opinions as well as prayers from your end ! Thanks in advance..! Smile
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
While the Church recognizes that an only child might one day have to care for aging parents, and so would probably ask about it during the discernment process, this is ultimately your vocation, not your parents’.
In itself, traditionally being the only means of support for another would be an impediment to Orders, the spirit of what the Church requires is that the third party accept that if ordained, the priest will not be able to be that support, so in a certain way "absolves" the priest of his duty in piety.

It is not an absolute prohibition, since you are not now supporting your parents, but assurances should be made that they can care for themselves in their old age. It is then for the superiors of the order to determine.

So, don't worry about it, but inform the seminary when you apply, and if possible when talking with a priest in preparation for this, discuss this matter and what should be done.
(07-08-2018, 10:47 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: +PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM+

I had announced on this forum that I have re-started my vocation discernment this April. However, I withheld this fact that I am the single child of my parents (Wish I had disclosed this earlier ! Undecided ). I was and am the only hope my parents have ever had in their marriage. As I officially disclosed my intentions to join the FSSP this July, my parents are hesitant to give their approval to me joining the priesthood in the FSSP and are taking time to arrive at a decision as well as suggesting me to reconsider my decision to join the FSSP. The FSSP vocations director for my region suggested that mine is a difficult case, considering the fact that should I become a priest in the Fraternity, I would be posted overseas in countries far away from India (not even in South Asia) and away from my parents such that it would be difficult to support my parents during their old age - but not impossible  Smile !

My father is a practicing Catholic, albeit not a devout one. My mother is a devout Catholic like me but she doesn't trust conservatives or traditionalists. Also, the recent sexual abuse scandals that have rocked the Catholic Church flood the daily newspapers in India and have created a negative, sinister image about Catholicism and Christianity among people of other religions and this is the biggest concern of my parents ! Confused Confused

Does being a single child cause it become an impediment to the Catholic priesthood ? I am neither trying to escape poverty nor responsibilities towards my parents as a son but I immensely desire to join a Traditional Catholic Order. Although, there is a local seminary in a different suburban section of Mumbai (Bombay) where I reside, I don't feel convinced to join the seminary because it reeks of modernism and heterodoxy (as some people on this forum have assessed in a previous thread of mine titled,"Is scrupulosity bad?") and I will feel a complete mismatch in that type of "liberalism-infused" environment.

I have opened my heart to make sacrifices and continuing to march on towards my vocation irrespective of all obstacles in the way and I pray for all the people who assist in me in the journey as well as those who act as an obstacle. Smile  Just this valid concern keeps popping up in my head ! Huh

Seeking opinions as well as prayers from your end ! Thanks in advance..! Smile
Peace.....I believe you will receive the graces necessary to respond to your calling if God is calling you there.  True, there are many obstacles in the Church these days - scandal, heresy etc.  And yet, God could still be calling you!  Your parents will fit into the picture if that is what God wants - if he wants you with them, it will become more apparent.  If you become a priest, your parents too will receive many graces and blessings from your calling and the sacrifice they made.  In addition, St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross/Edith Stein was an only child & others! (I am an only child too.....) Pray for direction.....God bless, angeltime Heart
Is it possible that you could consider a vocation in a community that is based in India or maybe with the diocese?
Please consider contacting the SSPX. They faithfully serve in India. The FSSP is actually a breakaway order from the SSPX. Stick with the original.  They have valid orders and sacraments and maintain close relations with Rome to maintain their Catholicity, but not so close that they become Modernists.

http://sspxasia.com/India/index.html
(07-09-2018, 11:24 PM)restoration Wrote: Please consider contacting the SSPX. They faithfully serve in India. The FSSP is actually a breakaway order from the SSPX. Stick with the original.  They have valid orders and sacraments and maintain close relations with Rome to maintain their Catholicity, but not so close that they become Modernists.

I am supportive of the SSPX (in spirit anyway, I don't donate to them) but the FSSP are not modernists. Your lack of ability to make philosophical distinctions between the level of modern influence in different parts of the Church is incredibly uncharitable and disingenuous.
(07-10-2018, 08:53 AM)Some Guy Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 11:24 PM)restoration Wrote: Please consider contacting the SSPX. They faithfully serve in India. The FSSP is actually a breakaway order from the SSPX. Stick with the original.  They have valid orders and sacraments and maintain close relations with Rome to maintain their Catholicity, but not so close that they become Modernists.

I am supportive of the SSPX (in spirit anyway, I don't donate to them) but the FSSP are not modernists. Your lack of ability to make philosophical distinctions between the level of modern influence in different parts of the Church is incredibly uncharitable and disingenuous.

Modernism (and thus Modernists) are pretty clearly defined. 

St. Pius X tells us that it is two principles Agnosticism + Vital Immanence applied to theology, history, philosophy or the like. In the case of Neo-Modernism Agnosticism is replaced with Existentialism, as it allows for a much better foundation for knowledge if you can know something beyond just the material aspect of things.

The FSSP may have some disadvantages as regards their situation vis-à-vis the local dioceses and what some might consider an inconsistent position as regards the questions of the modern problems, but none of those I know are Modernists by any analogy of the definition of Modernism or Neo-Modernism.

It is silly to throw around the term like it has some meaning in places where it is totally inappropriate. It is the traddie equivalent of the SJW "Fascist" label.

A bit more charity, as you suggest, is due. We can disagree and even vehemently, but our issues should concern the point of disagreement, not hyperbole.
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • AndreasIosephus, jovan66102, Some Guy
Pax et Bonum!  After reading the many responses to your questions and concerns, my mind keeps coming back to the point that you are called not only to a specific Order, but a specific community.  This you need to know in your own heart and prayer life - sometimes it can just be a leap of faith!  Nobody can tell you where you are called and if you should or should not go.  I have known priests in USA who were living in rectories with their ill elderly mother, so homecare could visit while the priest continued with his duties.  Years ago, a priest wasn't even permitted to drive in a car with his mother sitting beside him.  I also knew another priest who was a late vocation because he took care of his mother until she passed away and then entered the seminary.   
I'm certain you would not end up in either situation, but the point you need to focus on, is what God is asking of YOU - in either place, he still loves you and has a plan for you and has prepared a place for you.  Doing God's will is what is important - not so much weighing out one situation over the other - but responding to God's call - whatever that may be.
It would be wonderful if God would just send us a letter saying what He wants from us - but this is not going to happen, so prayer, making decisions and following through is a good place to begin to plan - and hope.
Heart God bless, angeltime
Thank you for your responses ! Please continue to keep me in your prayers ! God Bless...!  Smile
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]