Do You Prep?
I've been living in Florida for over 40 years and been through three hurricanes. That said, you bet I prep. After the last one the generator and saved fuel came in quite handy (again) until the power came back on. If there is an extended power outage, I have contingency plans as well. I have stuff for me (I live alone with my two dogs) but I have enough in case my kids have needs and they can come up here to ride things out. Plenty of game around, deer, turkey, fish, etc.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • Some Guy
(07-10-2018, 04:25 PM)ServusDei Wrote: Lol. In the Bible it said that when He comes, nobody will be prepared, so you're preparing uselessly Smile Besides, He will take care of you.

Not the same thing.

As for Him taking care of us:

Quote:A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"
[-] The following 4 users Like Paul's post:
  • gospel654, Jeeter, jovan66102, Zedta
(07-09-2018, 10:46 AM)BobR67 Wrote: 4 weeks of food should be good. You can always stretch your food out. Water is the most important. Your supply only needs to last until things settle down, but it's hard to say how long that would be.

Good point about the need for water. We keep water in the basement, plus water filters & purifiers. We were out of town a couple years ago when a large storm hit the east coast, and when we returned home, we were under a boil advisory for 3 days. I no longer travel without a water filter and Steripen.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Paul Wrote:Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven.

I would love to die and go to heaven! Big Grin
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary
(07-11-2018, 11:16 AM)ServusDei Wrote:
Paul Wrote:Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven.

I would love to die and go to heaven! Big Grin

Unlike in jokes, in real life, we never know if we're in a state of grace or not. And the man in the joke doubted God. Don't be so quick to wish to die, because you don't know when it'll be, or if you'll go to heaven when you do.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with preparing for emergencies here on earth, and even more so for people who are responsible for others. Being unprepared and losing your own life is one thing. Being unprepared and having your children starve is very much other, and likely mortal.
[-] The following 4 users Like Paul's post:
  • Bonaventure, jovan66102, Melkite, Zedta
Paul Wrote:Unlike in jokes, in real life, we never know if we're in a state of grace or not. And the man in the joke doubted God. Don't be so quick to wish to die, because you don't know when it'll be, or if you'll go to heaven when you do.

But I meant that I would love to die if I was going to go to heaven afterwards.
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary
The idea of it appeals to me, but in reality, our grocery budget is down to the penny, and I aim to use up every bit of food in the house (I'm a scrappy New Englander, as Jacafamala would say). Also just due to finances and that my Asperger son has extremely exacting and ever-changing food needs, so it has never worked to stock up. 

But I do think about getting some blessed beeswax candles. I could fast for three days, but the pitch darkness would probably drive me out of my mind.
Being prepared for emergencies is always a good thing. But I've never heard anything about this 'three days of darkness' thing not steeped in superstition, seems to be founded on some dubious private revelations with barely any basis in revelation. Make sure ya got food and water and all that, but don't fret over your 100% beeswax old-rite blessed candles inventory.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
I'm not crazy about the term "prepping", as in our present society it seems to imply someone who is a paranoid mental case, but, um . . . yeah, I do a little bit of preparation for emergencies. Even our Government-- who many here on Fisheaters apparently view as completely evil and totally incompetent (except that, when it comes to maintaining a Shadow Government in league with the coming One World Order, our Government is completely competent and expert at deceiving the American people) --recommends, through the DHS, that every American family should have supplies to endure a three-day emergency.

I grew up in the later stages of the Cold War, and back then I worried about a worldwide nuclear holocaust, and tried to prepare a little for that, but nowadays I worry more about a worldwide economic-technological collapse (I have little faith in modern technology and believe it is extremely frail, and has, in many ways, made all of us more stupid), which could lead to a similar result: the collapse of civilization.

I should be doing more, but at present I've stored up some water, keep the bathtub clean so I can fill it up fast with more water if I'm home if/when it happens and the power hasn't gone out yet, and I also keep some water purification tablets on hand. I also live near a natural fresh water source. I keep some food in storage (MREs), as well as batteries and a collection of printed survival manuals and some other books that should come in handy. I have some outdoor survival gear/shelter materials, and a couple firearms, although I don't keep an enormous stockpile of ammunition on hand (I'm kind of skeptical of people who brag about having 5,000 rounds of ammo on hand-- what are you going to do with all that ammo if you have to move out?). I also have a basic kit of medical supplies/pharmaceuticals. I keep a small reserve of gasoline on hand for my vehicles.

I do try to keep things in perspective. If something horrible happens, it might be the end, but not necessarily The End. If you were living back during the Bubonic Plague, where one-third to one-half of your village and every surrounding village had been wiped out, and the stench of piles of burning corpses was everywhere, you indeed may have thought the world was ending. Likewise, if you were a superstitious person living in A.D. 616, or 666, or 1000, or 1616 . . not realizing that there were yet centuries and generations yet to come, you may have also thought it was The End.

In any case, everyone on this website will meet their own personal end in less than 100 years, and so, regardless of any physical "prepping" we might do, we must always keep a constant focus on the spiritual health of our souls and live a Catholic life as best we can, always begging for God's mercy and grace.

And, we must not become too confident and proud of our physical preparations here on Earth; storing up tons of supplies, like the parable of the rich foolish man (Luke 12:16 - 23 . . . "The life is more than the meat, and the body is more than the raiment."), will ultimately do us no good, if we do not realize that this world is not the final goal, but that instead a life with our Heavenly Father is, and therefore we must always strive to stay in His Love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gospel654's post:
  • Florus
(07-14-2018, 10:29 AM)gospel654 Wrote: I'm not crazy about the term "prepping", as in our present society it seems to imply someone who is a paranoid mental case, but, um . . . yeah, I do a little bit of preparation for emergencies. Even our Government-- who many here on Fisheaters apparently view as completely evil and totally incompetent (except that, when it comes to maintaining a Shadow Government in league with the coming One World Order, our Government is completely competent and expert at deceiving the American people) --recommends, through the DHS, that every American family should have supplies to endure a three-day emergency.
Well, they laughed at Noah and our times are starting to look a lot like his.  No need for paranoia but prudence is good.  Besides which is more important, what people think of us or our safety and survival?  Hopefully we won't need any of it in our lifetime, but you never know, right? 

Do you doubt the evidence for the plans of the One World Order?

As for your "prepping" you have some good ideas including keeping the tub ready to fill with water and having pharmaceuticals on hand.  That part worries me and I wonder how I can get a supply of some extra prescription fillings. Between controlled substances and insurance, they don't just hand out "extras".
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • gospel654