Restaurant Etiquette for Traditional Catholics
^
|
|
|

That way lies madness.

Wow. I've got no words for this nonsense. 

To anyone reading over our shoulders, this has not a thing to do with Catholic teaching.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 10 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • aquinas138, Bourbon Apocalypse, Dominicana, Dominicus, Jeeter, jovan66102, Justin Alphonsus, MaryTN, ServusDei, Zedta
Calling that which is not sinful sinful--check.

Treating children, the invalid, and the mentally infirm as if they are sources of shame to hide away for the sake of eccentric loners who go to restaurants to read--check.

Using the phrase "probably sinful" as a way of validating what is subjectively disagreeable to the author--check. 

Arbitrarily using the phrase "instrinsically disordered and against nature" when convenient to the author's thesis--check. (Telling that the esteemed Mark Williams is using the Internet to propagate his message, for all we know that being able to communicate with anyone anywhere in the world in real time [or 24/7 time  Rolling eyes  ] is natural.)

Is there a counter-revolutionary way of saying the following: you need a girlfriend (ahem, courting prospect) and probably a good, firm slap in the face? If not, let me be a modern and say that, dude.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bourbon Apocalypse's post:
  • Dominicus, Jeeter, jovan66102
My rules are as follows:
1) don't be a jerk
2) always be courteous to your server even in they're awful at their job
3) never send food back unless the server got the order completely wrong
4) clean up after yourself to the best of your ability
5) tip well unless the service was abysmal

Also, how does one tip only 10%? Wow. I'll tip 10% at the bar or for takeout (sometimes). For a sit down meal though? Minimum 15% bad service, 18% for sub par service, 20% standard. I feel bad tipping less.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • Dominicus, jovan66102, The Tax Collector
I always tip at least 20%. You never know if your servers just having a bad day, no reason to make it worse.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominicus's post:
  • jovan66102
OP, can you define "debilitating disability" or "deformed body"? Do amputees count?

(07-11-2018, 06:59 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I always tip at least 20%. You never know if your servers just having a bad day, no reason to make it worse.

I do $3 or 20%, whichever is greater.  Having worked as a waiter for a bit, I can attest that it's hard to get by when you keep getting customers that get an appetizer and water, then tip 15-20%.

Regarding the server having a bad day, it's quite true.  Funny story: a few years back I took my wife out for Mother's Day to a casual, yet high quality, seafood restaurant not too far away. I broke the rules by bringing the kids. I figured the missus would appreciate a nice dinner with the young'uns, it being Mother's Day and her being a mother. Anyways, our waitress seemed a bit short tempered and irritable around us, to the point that my wife and I were considering leaving, because we were starting to think she was hostile towards us, as we were the only large family (more than 2 kids) in the place. So when she came to take out food order I asked her if everything was OK, since she seemed a bit "tense." She let out a huge sigh, sat down next to us, and said something to the effect of "I need a moment. I can't do this anymore, I'm exhausted, have been up since 5, and haven't had a day off in over 3 weeks. I'm sorry if I seem like a b****." Long story short, she sat for a minute, talked with us, explained that she was run completely ragged from work and raising a kid alone (husband split). She laughed when I told her we thought she didn't like us; she said our kids were extremely well behaved. After that, best service I've ever had at a restaurant.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • Abaxvahl
My wife was a waitress for quite awhile, and I managed a restaurant years ago. We raised our kids to tip and to tip well. When our oldest boy got a job and had money of his own, he decided to take Dad and the Siblings to his favourite sushi place. He assured us that he didn't go there very often.

When we walked in, almost the entire staff greeted him by name and the owner came rushing out of the kitchen with, 'Zachary, so good to see you!' Zak looked a bit sheepish when I said it looked like he'd been tipping well! LOL
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(07-11-2018, 08:55 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: My wife was a waitress for quite awhile, and I managed a restaurant years ago. We raised our kids to tip and to tip well. When our oldest boy got a job and had money of his own, he decided to take Dad and the Siblings to his favourite sushi place. He assured us that he didn't go there very often.

When we walked in, almost the entire staff greeted him by name and the owner came rushing out of the kitchen with, 'Zachary, so good to see you!' Zak looked a bit sheepish when I said it looked like he'd been tipping well! LOL

Peace.....I have wondered what the policy is, that prevents restaurant owners from training their people and paying them well enough that they will do a good job and work sane hours and shifts. The management and supervisors could supervise their work - so when customers are dining, they can enjoy their outing and not be so concerned about what and how the waitress/waiter is doing.  For some families it's hard enough to pay for the dinner without having to pay the staff's wages.  God bless, angeltime Heart
In Italy (and I think in Europe in general), service is either built into the price or added for each person served... usually a couple euros each. In the US restaurants would rather keep the prices a bit lower and pay their employees less and have the customers make up the rest. I'm sure there's a financial reason behind it. Although theoretically a server can make way more money on tips than a flat wage. A busy night can see them take home hundreds.

Personally, I'd rather the service charge be based on the quantity of items ordered plus a base rate. If you order ten items your server is going to do more work than the table who orders two things. Not sure why a $100 entre requires paying a server more money than a $10 entre.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(07-11-2018, 09:26 PM)GangGreen Wrote: In Italy (and I think in Europe in general), service is either built into the price or added for each person served... usually a couple euros each. In the US restaurants would rather keep the prices a bit lower and pay their employees less and have the customers make up the rest. I'm sure there's a financial reason behind it. Although theoretically a server can make way more money on tips than a flat wage. A busy night can see them take home hundreds.

Personally, I'd rather the service charge be based on the quantity of items ordered plus a base rate. If you order ten items your server is going to do more work than the table who orders two things. Not sure why a $100 entre requires paying a server more money than a $10 entre.
Peace.....yes, that does seem unfair.  I also find it a little overdone when a waitress or waiter asks several times during the dinner, "Is everything ok?"  I know that if there was any kind of an issue, I would mention it or go to or phone management later.  This has never happened, but I think that is what most people would do.  What happens with the tip when they change shifts and the second waitress finishes the serving and gets the tip - I have seen this happen - do they share it??  God bless, angeltime Heart
Can someone explain "invalids" to me.