Restaurant Etiquette for Traditional Catholics
(07-12-2018, 04:25 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I mean, etiquette is etiquette. Table etiquette is something that people learn to do so that they don't look like an uncivilized slob at the dinner table. However, if someone doesn't follow that etiquette, well if they're your family member feel free to correct them I guess. If they're someone else, shut your mouth and mind your own business. Either way, someone can chew with their mouths open, put their elbows on the table, feet up, whatever and it's not sinful. The only way I can see it being sinful is if someone told you it was impolite (especially for wherever you're eating) and you do it even more to annoy them or start a selfish argument over it to "Do what I want!"

It depends on your knowledge really, just like having an informed conscience.

If you take someone from the African bush to a restaurant, there can be no sin involved in their ignorant behavior.

But if you were brought up with manners and you act like a slob...well.

It's also a matter of the heart.

I'm afraid I have seen this often with guys who act like perfect gentlemen before marriage and act as if they just really don't care afterward.  

(Please don't take my statement as overarching man-hating.  I'm sure there are women who are just as bad, but that hasn't been my experience so I'm just posting an anecdote here.)   afraidsmiley
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(07-12-2018, 11:46 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:36 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Wait, I just figured it out. Mark Williams is Sacha Baron Cohen. You're trolling us. Very nice!

Interesting theory.  How'd you figure it out?  Did he poop in a bag?

Actually, I despise that man (Cohen, not our dear Marky Mark)--the way that he took advantage of people makes me feel guilty that I patronized his film.
Did anyone else enjoy learning that smoking is a sin only for women?  I am sorry, but I just died laughing at that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • Mark Williams
(07-12-2018, 09:52 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: Did anyone else enjoy learning that smoking is a sin only for women?  I am sorry, but I just died laughing at that.

I didn't even notice that. Vox better watch out then.  Sticking tongue out at you
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
Many, many years ago there was an old fashioned soda fountain in Lawrence, KS owned an operated by an older lady named Mrs Lincoln. One day, I took a young lady out for a soda. After our egg creams, or whatever it was we had, we both lit our smokes. In those far off benighted days, it was still legal and socially acceptable. LOL

Mrs Lincoln came over to our table and gently informed my date that 'Ladies do not smoke in public'. Even she didn't think it was a sin, just that a 'lady' would never been seen in public whilst smoking!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Florus
(07-12-2018, 10:51 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Many, many years ago there was an old fashioned soda fountain in Lawrence, KS owned an operated by an older lady named Mrs Lincoln. One day, I took a young lady out for a soda. After our egg creams, or whatever it was we had, we both lit our smokes. In those far off benighted days, it was still legal and socially acceptable. LOL

Mrs Lincoln came over to our table and gently informed my date that 'Ladies do not smoke in public'. Even she didn't think it was a sin, just that a 'lady' would never been seen in public whilst smoking!

Mmmmm....egg creams!  In Love
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(07-12-2018, 11:50 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:51 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Many, many years ago there was an old fashioned soda fountain in Lawrence, KS owned an operated by an older lady named Mrs Lincoln. One day, I took a young lady out for a soda. After our egg creams, or whatever it was we had, we both lit our smokes. In those far off benighted days, it was still legal and socially acceptable. LOL

Peace.....and before that, eating chocolate in public!  It was believed to intoxicate..... Smile Heart
Mmmmm....egg creams!  In Love
(07-12-2018, 09:40 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 11:46 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 09:36 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Wait, I just figured it out. Mark Williams is Sacha Baron Cohen. You're trolling us. Very nice!

Interesting theory.  How'd you figure it out?  Did he poop in a bag?

Actually, I despise that man (Cohen, not our dear Marky Mark)--the way that he took advantage of people makes me feel guilty that I patronized his film.

Believe it or not, I agree with you.  I chunked my copy of Borat a year or so back.  Still, when I read some of the etiquette rules, the first thing that came to mind was Borat saying, "Excuse me, I must, ah, how do you say, ah, I must make,..."   before coming back with a  baggie.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
This has been an interesting thread to read. I actually would really like to attend an etiquette class. I think I sympathize with and understand both sides of this discussion. Probably makes me evil for not being egalitarian enough.
(07-17-2018, 03:45 PM)Some Guy Wrote: This has been an interesting thread to read. I actually would really like to attend an etiquette class. I think I sympathize with and understand both sides of this discussion. Probably makes me evil for not being egalitarian enough.

Etiquette is very subjective...and regional. 

When I lived in Michigan, there was a guy I know eating a banana at a church picnic.  So what, you say?  An old woman was so insulted that she wrested the microphone from the MC and began to berate the man publicly and embarrass him.  She went into fine detail about putting the banana on the palm, peeling back the top of the banana, slicing the meat with a knife with, and then eating the slices with a fork out of the banana skin like it were a boat.  It was a really crude display of non-authoritative micromanagement.  I thought her behavior of trying to limit the man's liberty (eating a banana by biting off chunks is not a sin) made the situation bad.