Daughter heartbreak...
My only daughter will be 20 on the 23rd, and she's posted a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood for her birthday on her Facebook page. 

She left the Church shortly before Confirmation - having started classes and then refusing to go through with it. 

She involved herself in many situations that were in complete opposition to the Faith throughout her teen years. 

We had an extremely difficult relationship from the time she was about 7 through age 18. But in the last couple of years,
our relationship has finally become affectionate and pleasant. She hasn't lived at home since age 18.

So when I saw her birthday fundraiser, I had to say something. 

I sent her a private fb message linking the Live Action video about PP covering up child sex abuse and sex trafficking, and sent her info showing how much of a profit they make, Cecile Richards' net worth, and said "whatever one's belief about abortion, it is still true that PP is a huge, corrupt, extremely wealthy corporation..." I told her I'm glad that she wants to be generous and do something she believes is for the good, but I said I hope she would deeply look into this corporation. 

I just feel like crying. Because she's so taken in by this and because I'm worried that this could disrupt our newly ok relationship. She has never been known to be one who will give two hoots about my opinion (even though she's learned to be a lot more polite to my face) -- so it will take divine intervention for her to give the videos any meaningful consideration. She knows I'm pro-life and probably thinks anything I point out about PP isn't valid, and that I'm just brainwashed, etc. 

Anyway - this all just happened, and it makes me feel so incredibly sad. 

Any suggestions or words of wisdom welcomed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Margaret-Mary's post:
  • Jacafamala
Just keep praying for her, there's probably not much else you can do. She been deluded as so many others have but it's not her fault. Just be patient and trust that God knows what he's doing, he's brought good out of far worse. Just continue to pray for her and God will do everything.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 4 users Like Dominicus's post:
  • angeltime, Jacafamala, Margaret-Mary, MaryTN
As I sit here contracting and wondering if I will or will not finally go into labour, my heart goes out to you. I'm having a daughter and it would absolutely kill me if she did this. I'm hoping to have the mother/daughter relationship that I didn't get to have with my mom.

What was your relationship with her when she was a child? Did you spend a lot of quality time together and pray together? Were you physical with affection? What was the family set-up?

I don't understand how she could be so callous about your feelings. Do you feel like she got those opinions from her peers in high school or college? Is there a reason why she disregards your religion?
I'm not judging you or looking for a reason why it would be your fault - just genuinely want to know how this happens.

Maybe, there is a root of discord in your relationship for her but you might not be able to see it. With my friends in high school, if there was distant relationship with the mom there was usually a reason that dated back ages ago and was a continuing theme now without either realizing.
(07-11-2018, 11:21 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Just keep praying for her, there's probably not much else you can do. She been deluded as so many others have but it's not her fault. Just be patient and trust that God knows what he's doing, he's brought good out of far worse. Just continue to pray for her and God will do everything.

Thank you.  Heart
(07-11-2018, 11:23 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: (snip)

Maybe, there is a root of discord in your relationship for her but you might not be able to see it.

Oh, I definitely see it. It's been a source of unhappiness for me from the start. [b]She also felt very free to air many, many, if not all, of her grievances directly to me when things were at their worst, so there was no big mystery about what she was thinking or feeling. She doesn't really even remember much of that stuff now. 

Thanks for your reply, and good luck with the birth!!! (Try to remember to go limp during contractions!) Smile
(07-11-2018, 11:23 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: Is there a reason why she disregards your religion?

There's something else I just remembered: When her father would come for his weekend visits, he would openly denigrate the Faith, say that he thought the Pope was a fool, and things like that.  sad
I have nothing to offer but prayers, but I can feel your pain. My children are, in descending order of age, a fundamentalist prot, a practicing pagan, a 'buddhist' communist, a non-denominational prot, and an alt-right, identity politics follower, very proud of his 'Westphalian heritage'. The latter has me totally confused! His mother is Irish-Bohemian and I'm Hampshire English, Västergötlandish Swedish, and South German Catholic. Not a drop of 
Westphalian blood that I can find.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(07-12-2018, 12:45 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I have nothing to offer but prayers, but I can feel your pain. My children are, in descending order of age, a fundamentalist prot, a practicing pagan, a 'buddhist' communist, a non-denominational prot, and an alt-right, identity politics follower, very proud of his 'Westphalian heritage'. The latter has me totally confused! His mother is Irish-Bohemian and I'm Haompshire English, Västergötlandish Swedish, and South German Catholic. Not a drop of 
Westphalian blood that I can find.

Isnt Westphalia in Germany?
Yes, but far away from the Catholic South where my great grandparents, Sebastian and Maria Weismüller, came from. As far as I know we have absolutely no connection to Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Oh, and he's also convinced that the Jutes and the Frisians were the main Germanic tribes that settled England, and that the Angles (you know Engla londe, 'land of the Angles) and the Saxons were bit players in the invasion/settlement.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(07-12-2018, 03:31 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Yes, but far away from the Catholic South where my great grandparents, Sebastian and Maria Weismüller, came from. As far as I know we have absolutely no connection to Nordrhein-Westfalen.

Oh, and he's also convinced that the Jutes and the Frisians were the main Germanic tribes that settled England, and that the Angles (you know Engla londe, 'land of the Angles) and the Saxons were bit players in the invasion/settlement.

Ah he's one of... those.  Wink