Daughter heartbreak...
(07-13-2018, 05:53 PM)Cecilia9 Wrote: ........

Divinesilence80, why do you always put down women in every single one of your posts? Just why? The OP is not curious about whether her daughter is inferior to men. What have we done to you in your lifetime? Yes, there are bad women. Our entire gender isn't to be blamed for that every time you post. A boy bullied me for many years in high school because I was a pretty girl that reminded him of his insecurities (this was told to me in confidence) and I wanted to kill him. I seriously wished so much pain and suffering on him. I have moved on from that because it was sinful and do not (or have ever )rejected the male half of the population. I am telling you this to show you that women have experiences that would make them be tempted to hate men too. Whether we are attractive, ugly, skinny, fat, smart or ditzy, women do not have perfect lives in the modern era and we are not immune to great suffering. That will sound feminist to you but it's just reality. I can't count how many times someone said, 'well, you're a pretty girl. You have no idea how hard life is.'

And, don't say, well it's just the truth that women are inferior- I'm not being emotional about it. 'I'm a man, being very rational about this.'

You are emotional, that's why you keep bringing it up when no one has asked - I know you very well. I'm married to one of you. Through the grace of god, he is healing and feeling much better about former trigger topics. Don't feed your resentment - it will only bring bad things for you. Pray about your inner frustrations and ask for healing.

Sorry if I derailed the thread, but I had to say something.

I didn't say women were inferior. I said social media plays better to women's weaknesses than to men's. Try a little reading comprehension before you reach for your flame thrower......
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
(07-13-2018, 12:59 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote: Social media the modern "snake whispering in the feminine ear." It is particularly toxic for women of ages because it allows them advertise themselves in unhealthy ways to "beat out the competition." Guys compete by building something bigger and better than the next guy. That competition is what gives us cities, homes, society, etc. Women compete however by out "prettying" each other. Social media is the perfect outlet to advertise, get feedback, and then use that feedback to build an ego to bruise others with. Female competition expressed in this manner is actually destructive. It is like a race to the bottom. That is why, sorry if you are offended, men heavily occupy the upper echelon of society.

What does this have to do with the thread, though? I'm wondering why you felt lead to pop this in here. Was it because I mentioned Tumblr? Well, what you've written may apply to some girls, but couldn't be farther from the way my daughter is  (she'd likely be far more inclined to date other women than to compete with them). She's not overly invested in making herself "pretty." She has been in a good relationship with a very nice guy for almost three years now, with no signs of it ending anytime soon. 

Why not just ignore silly, stupid social media and focus on your spiritual life?
(07-15-2018, 01:30 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Oh boy, Margaret Mary. Sometimes being a parent is just the worst. I know you're probably torturing yourself mentally thinking, 'if only I hadn't done this-or-that! Or if only this-or-that never happened." But your girl's a grown woman now and she has to take responsibility for her own actions. You've done what you could, and whatever bites at your conscience, confess it and let it go. Anything else is from the enemy. 

We can only work with what we've got here and now--not the past and I know you know that. But God won't turn away a praying mom. I really believe that if we (you and I) remain faithful, He'll see them through. It can't be otherwise, because it's absolutely His will that our children be saved and He's promised that we'll receive whatever we ask for in His Name. So don't give up. Don't despair--not saying you are, just puttin' it out there in case. Have full confidence that Our Lord will turn everything around in His time, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy. In the end, we'll get what we're praying for.

Thanks, Jaca -- this meant a lot to me. Also, on my way to Mass on Sunday, and while praying before the start of Mass, I had this very strong sense of just what you said -- that our Mama prayers will most certainly be heard. xoxo
[-] The following 1 user Likes Margaret-Mary's post:
  • Jacafamala
(07-15-2018, 01:33 PM)ServusDei Wrote: Prayer can change anything. St. Augustine's mother prayed so much that her husband was converted, and her son (who used to be very very bad) became a saint. This will take time, and lots of prayer. My prayers probably don't do much, but I'll be praying for you both too.

Thank you!! I ask St. Monica to pray for my children as fervently as she prayed for St. Augustine.  Heart
(07-17-2018, 09:44 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote:
(07-15-2018, 01:33 PM)ServusDei Wrote: Prayer can change anything. St. Augustine's mother prayed so much that her husband was converted, and her son (who used to be very very bad) became a saint. This will take time, and lots of prayer. My prayers probably don't do much, but I'll be praying for you both too.

Thank you!! I ask St. Monica to pray for my children as fervently as she prayed for St. Augustine.  Heart

A Novena Prayer to St Monica,

Dear Saint Monica, thou wert once the mournful mother of a prodigal son. Thy faithfulness to prayer brought thee and thy son so close to God that thou art now with him in eternity. By thine intercession and God’s grace, thy son St Augustine became a great and venerable Saint of the Church. Please take my requests to God with the same fervour and persistence with which thou didst pray for thine own son.

(Mention your requests)

With thy needs, worries and anxieties, thou threwest thyself on the mercy and providence of God. Through sorrow and pain, thou didst constantly devote thyself to God. Pray for me that I might join thee in such a deep faith in God’s goodness and mercy. Amen.

Above all, dear Saint Monica, pray for me that I may, like thy son, turn from my sin and become a great saint for the glory of God. Amen.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Margaret-Mary
(07-17-2018, 07:20 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote: What does this have to do with the thread, though? I'm wondering why you felt lead to pop this in here. Was it because I mentioned Tumblr? Well, what you've written may apply to some girls, but couldn't be farther from the way my daughter is  (she'd likely be far more inclined to date other women than to compete with them). She's not overly invested in making herself "pretty." She has been in a good relationship with a very nice guy for almost three years now, with no signs of it ending anytime soon. 

Why not just ignore silly, stupid social media and focus on your spiritual life?

Well, I guess this is bite DS80's head off week! Sheesh, and you guys say I am bad? I'll tell you what is has to do with this thread. Its a warning to parents that the temptations of social media lead our kids astray by filling their heads with garbage ideas. Your daughter, like most kids at some point, open themselves to influences their parents are completely unaware of. The worst influence in today's world is the misuse of social media. Tumblr falls into and has a lot of folks on their peddling unbridled sexuality, ideology, and collective misery to souls longing for something to root in. The issues with your daughter probably started long before the symptoms showed, and I am just trying to offer an extrapolation to the beginning for other folks to learn from. I'm sorry that your daughter has let you down, but her example doesn't have to be in vain if others can learn from it.
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
(07-17-2018, 11:44 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:20 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote: What does this have to do with the thread, though? I'm wondering why you felt lead to pop this in here. Was it because I mentioned Tumblr? Well, what you've written may apply to some girls, but couldn't be farther from the way my daughter is  (she'd likely be far more inclined to date other women than to compete with them). She's not overly invested in making herself "pretty." She has been in a good relationship with a very nice guy for almost three years now, with no signs of it ending anytime soon. 

Well, I guess this is bite DS80's head off week! Sheesh, and you guys say I am bad? I'll tell you what is has to do with this thread. Its a warning to parents that the temptations of social media lead our kids astray by filling their heads with garbage ideas. Your daughter, like most kids at some point, open themselves to influences their parents are completely unaware of. The worst influence in today's world is the misuse of social media. Tumblr falls into and has a lot of folks on their peddling unbridled sexuality, ideology, and collective misery to souls longing for something to root in. The issues with your daughter probably started long before the symptoms showed, and I am just trying to offer an extrapolation to the beginning for other folks to learn from. I'm sorry that your daughter has let you down, but her example doesn't have to be in vain if others can learn from it.

OK, thanks for the explanation. Your original post seemed disconnected from mine, that’s why I asked about it. Sorry if you took that as having your head bitten off. I agree with your points about social media.
I have a stepdaughter who refuses to have anything to do with religon of Catholicism for that matter. She has 2 children(my grand children). She says that she wants them to make up their own mind about religion. Her and her husband get upset when I try to teach them anything about Catholicism. 
I have come to the conclusion that all I can do is pray for them. It hurts me so much. But its not about me, God loves them and wants them to be apart of the one true faith.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
(07-20-2018, 11:18 AM)BobR67 Wrote: She says that she wants them to make up their own mind about religion. Her and her husband get upset when I try to teach them anything about Catholicism. 

Then she's simply lying. How can they make up their own minds about religion if they have no information on which to act? She's just trying to make sure they turn out non- (or anti-) Catholic.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'