Fr. Gruner and the Fatima Center and which Catechism?
Being a newer Catholic, I'm figuring out quick that I don't think much of the modern Catholic Church is for me.  I was almost driven from it by the nonsense of the Charismatic movement.  So I have two questions:

1.  I am wondering what you all think of Fr. Gruner and the Fatima Center.  I like much of what they have done, and many of Fr.  Gruner's old videos.

2.  Which Catechism do you prefer.  I am leaning back to the Baltimore, as the part in the current one about everyone being saved - even Muslims, Hindus, atheists, etc, makes me scratch my head?

Thank you
(07-11-2018, 11:23 PM)Markie Boy Wrote: Being a newer Catholic, I'm figuring out quick that I don't think much of the modern Catholic Church is for me.  I was almost driven from it by the nonsense of the Charismatic movement.  So I have two questions:

1.  I am wondering what you all think of Fr. Gruner and the Fatima Center.  I like much of what they have done, and many of Fr.  Gruner's old videos.

2.  Which Catechism do you prefer.  I am leaning back to the Baltimore, as the part in the current one about everyone being saved - even Muslims, Hindus, atheists, etc, makes me scratch my head?

Thank you
I don't know much about the Fatima Center but I think I've heard that it has ties to some very unsavory organizations. But I might be getting it confused.

I prefer the Baltimore for it's brevity, orthodoxy, and ease of understanding. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is good but too vague in parts, too long, and too difficult to access.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
I knew Fr Gruner personally, may he rest in peace. He was one of the most humble, holy men I have ever met. He was persecuted viciously for preaching the Fatima Message. Some of those who've been around for awhile may remember Tim, of pious memory, and I going tooth and tongs with Doc Bombay on the subject. Doc always claimed Fr Gruner was just after money. As one who often received free books from him and knew the threadbare cassock he wore I considered that a dirty lie! I know for a fact that his staff were told that if anyone indicated they'd like a book but couldn't afford it, it was to be given to them free. Not a great way to be a money grubber. LOL

Oh, but the Fatima Centre is considered a hate group by the SPLC, which is high praise as far as I'm concerned.

As to catechism? The Baltimore is excellent, as are St Pius X's, St Anthony Mary Claret's, and the Penny Catechism
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 7 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Ambrosiano, angeltime, dahveed, Eric F, karl, Sacred Heart lover, Zedta
(07-11-2018, 11:37 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I knew Fr Gruner personally, may he rest in peace. He was one of the most humble, holy men I have ever met. He was persecuted viciously for preaching the Fatima Message. Some of those who've been around for awhile may remember Tim, of pious memory, and I going tooth and tongs with Doc Bombay on the subject. Doc always claimed Fr Gruner was just after money. As one who often received free books from him and knew the threadbare cassock he wore I considered that a dirty lie! I know for a fact that his staff were told that if anyone indicated they'd like a book but couldn't afford it, it was to be given to them free. Not a great way to be a money grubber. LOL

Oh, but the Fatima Centre is considered a hate group by the SPLC, which is high praise as far as I'm concerned.

As to catechism? The Baltimore is excellent, as are St Pius X's, St Anthony Mary Claret's, and the Penny Catechism

Fr Gruner's videos on Youtube are excellent!

He was definitely a man in the know (red pilled before red pill was a thing)  and of the most profound humility.

How blessed you are to have met him Jovan!

This discussion reminds me of this movie that came out recently that I wanted to see.  Has anyone seen it?  Does anyone know where to watch it?

Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
Not to derail the thread, but Sacred Heart Lover, you gave me a bit of a start. At first, I thought that said The Vatican Decepticon. Had immediate visions of transformers.  LOL
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dahveed's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(07-12-2018, 05:31 AM)dahveed Wrote: Not to derail the thread, but Sacred Heart Lover, you gave me a bit of a start. At first, I thought that said The Vatican Decepticon. Had immediate visions of transformers.  LOL

Eh, nothing would surprise me anymore.  Sleepy
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(07-11-2018, 11:37 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I knew Fr Gruner personally, may he rest in peace. He was one of the most humble, holy men I have ever met. He was persecuted viciously for preaching the Fatima Message. Some of those who've been around for awhile may remember Tim, of pious memory, and I going tooth and tongs with Doc Bombay on the subject. Doc always claimed Fr Gruner was just after money. As one who often received free books from him and knew the threadbare cassock he wore I considered that a dirty lie! I know for a fact that his staff were told that if anyone indicated they'd like a book but couldn't afford it, it was to be given to them free. Not a great way to be a money grubber. LOL

Sorry, I must have been misinformed. I will have to look up Fr Gruners videos.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
Thanks all - this makes me feel like my judgement is doing OK. When I talk to our Church locally I don't get a lot of support in this direction.
Currently reading JPII’s CCC. Will probably read the Baltimore next and then Trent.

I agree with you on what you posted and although I did not know Fr. Gruner personally, my dear departed wife and I went to one of his conferences in Orlando, years back and attended a very nice Latin Mass he presided over. I have read many of the literary offerings of the Fatima Center and found them to be very good reads. I miss that old tenacious Fr. Gruner!

I cling to my St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism. It is very basic and very easy to understand, and most importantly, written prior to Vatican II.

For the more complex issues, I refer to the Catechism of The Catholic Curch, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, with Imprimi Potest of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger of 1994 that my mother gave me.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain