New SSPX Superior General
Fr Davide Pagliarani is the new SG of the SSPX. Is there much known about this priest especially his views on Rome?
His First Assistant is Bishop de Gallareta.  What about him? Some may have felt that he was too much of a Fellay yes-man in the past. Will He be his own man now?
(07-12-2018, 12:46 PM)francisco Wrote: Fr Davide Pagliarani is the new SG of the SSPX. Is there much known about this priest especially his views on Rome?
His First Assistant is Bishop de Gallareta.  What about him? Some may have felt that he was too much of a Fellay yes-man in the past. Will He be his own man now?

From Rorate Caeli: Le Figaro on SSPX election: "Fellay toppled", "Side opposed to deal with Rome now in charge

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2018/0...ellay.html
It's still not clear. The newly 2nd Assistant Fr Christian Bouchacourt was the SSPX Superior in Argentina.  It was he who struck up an acquaintanceship with the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Jorge Bergoglio. Wasn't he supposed to be the Fellay hardliner who was brought back to Paris to head the restive French District and to be nearer Pope Bergoglio? After all, Paris is much closer to Rome than Buenos Aires.
(07-12-2018, 06:34 PM)Knight Hospitaller Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 12:46 PM)francisco Wrote: Fr Davide Pagliarani is the new SG of the SSPX. Is there much known about this priest especially his views on Rome?

From Rorate Caeli: Le Figaro on SSPX election: "Fellay toppled", "Side opposed to deal with Rome now in charge

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2018/0...ellay.html

The article is a bit misleading in that Bishop Fellay wasn't "toppled" as it suggests in the article.  My understanding is that he decided not to run for a third term.  Now whether he decided not to run because he knew he wouldn't get elected, that I don't know.  Regardless, I'm anxious to see how this would impact the reconciliation efforts with Rome.
It is a surprise. After two terms of twelve years at the head of the Fraternity of Saint Pius X - founded by Marcel Lefebvre, leader of the opponents of the Second Vatican Council - Bishop Bernard Fellay, 60 years old, of Swiss nationality, was not renewed as superior general. He was nevertheless given favorite.

Meeting on Wednesday in Econe in Switzerland - its historic seat -, the 4th General Chapter of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X elected two-thirds of the 41 capitulants Father Davide Pagliarani as superior general, for a term of 12 years.

Italian, he is 47 years old and was ordained priest by Bishop Fellay. He exercised his apostolate in Rimini (Italy) then in Singapore, before being appointed superior of the district of Italy. Since 2012, he was director of the Notre-Dame Co-Redemptive Seminary of La Reja (Argentina). In fact, Bishop Alfonso de Galarreta, Auxiliary Bishop of the Fraternity of Saint Pius X, was replaced by his new superior. This bishop of Spanish nationality was one of four bishops ordained, against the advice of Rome, by Archbishop Lefebvre in 1988. He is renowned for his uncompromising doctrinal requirement.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/...eneral.php
Perhaps a statement will be issued at the end of the General Chapter telling the world where the SSPX  stands vis a vis  the talks with Rome.
Some have said that the new Superior General and his two Assistants all have an Argentinian connection and this is so in order to curry favor with the Argentinian pope. A Traditional Catholic priest, a certain Fr Jenkins ,has said that it is Pope Francis who doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to sign a deal.
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Pope Francis is the pope to reconcile the SSPX to the Vatican. As much as I don’t trust him, he seems obsessed with allowing local clergy reign supreme and do whatever they want even if it involves heresy. That might extend to the SSPX too.
(07-17-2018, 01:49 PM)Some Guy Wrote: Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Pope Francis is the pope to reconcile the SSPX to the Vatican. As much as I don’t trust him, he seems obsessed with allowing local clergy reign supreme and do whatever they want even if it involves heresy. That might extend to the SSPX too.

You might be right. In his drive to turn the Church into a collection of independent national 'churches', a la the dying Anglican Communion, what harm could one independent international 'church' do?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Now Bishop Fellay and Fr Schmidberger have been co-opted in as General Councillors to be a part of the General Council and to assist the Superior General. This is a curious development.  To me at least, it seems that Fellay and Schmidberger do not want to relinquish power or influence
(Yesterday, 12:36 PM)francisco Wrote: Now Bishop Fellay and Fr Schmidberger have been co-opted in as General Councillors to be a part of the General Council and to assist the Superior General. This is a curious development.  To me at least, it seems that Fellay and Schmidberger do not want to relinquish power or influence

I guess I'm a bit confused. If His Lordship and Fr Schmidberger  have enough power to force the new Superior General to co-opt them as General Councillors, why didn't they just use that power just to stay in in office to begin with?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'