New SSPX Superior General
Since I was quite confused as to why, if Bishop Fellay had been 'toppled' and then supposedly had the influence to force the Chapter to install him as general counsellor, he didn't just 'influence' the election to stay in power, I got in touch with an SSPX Priest I've known since before he was ordained. Here is the gist of what he told me.

If you note the statement put out by the General House, it said that the Chapter chose these two general counsellors. The original Council consisted of the Superior General and his two assistants who advise him in certain decisions, and whilst the SG makes the ultimate call, he must consult the others.

Since this is in the statutes, the Chapter itself had to modify the statutes to allow two additional counselors, which makes a great deal of sense when you consider that Former SGs enjoy certain honorary privileges, like going to the Chapter. This just makes their roles more official, but still advisory only. They have no decision making power, and as yet it is unclear if they will be treated like superiors or if their position is not just an official title.

So to the suggestion that Bishop Fellay was 'toppled', if His Lordship was trying to hold onto influence after being 'toppled' by forcing the new Superior General to do this, then he'd also have to convince at least 22 other people at the Chapter that this was a good idea to change the statutes. If he could convince so many, then why not stay as SG, which was essentially the question I was asking. He clearly would have easily been re-elected if he had not long ago made clear that he was not interested in a 36-year stint. Remember, he is 60 years old and has been SG for 24 years. I'm sure he wants to pass the burden. If he were re-elected, by the time his third term ended, he would have been SG for half his life!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • CaptCrunch73
(07-22-2018, 11:41 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Since I was quite confused as to why, if Bishop Fellay had been 'toppled' and then supposedly had the influence to force the Chapter to install him as general counsellor, he didn't just 'influence' the election to stay in power, I got in touch with an SSPX Priest I've known since before he was ordained. Here is the gist of what he told me.

If you note the statement put out by the General House, it said that the Chapter chose these two general counsellors. The original Council consisted of the Superior General and his two assistants who advise him in certain decisions, and whilst the SG makes the ultimate call, he must consult the others.

Since this is in the statutes, the Chapter itself had to modify the statutes to allow two additional counselors, which makes a great deal of sense when you consider that Former SGs enjoy certain honorary privileges, like going to the Chapter. This just makes their roles more official, but still advisory only. They have no decision making power, and as yet it is unclear if they will be treated like superiors or if their position is not just an official title.

So to the suggestion that Bishop Fellay was 'toppled', if His Lordship was trying to hold onto influence after being 'toppled' by forcing the new Superior General to do this, then he'd also have to convince at least 22 other people at the Chapter that this was a good idea to change the statutes. If he could convince so many, then why not stay as SG, which was essentially the question I was asking. He clearly would have easily been re-elected if he had not long ago made clear that he was not interested in a 36-year stint. Remember, he is 60 years old and has been SG for 24 years. I'm sure he wants to pass the burden. If he were re-elected, by the time his third term ended, he would have been SG for half his life!

Hi Jovan,

I was on retreat at an SSPX retreat house when the election occurred. When the election results were announced the comments made by the priests at the retreat house were consistent with the description provided above.

Not to mention the blog by RadTradThomist published BEFORE the election that the buzz before the election Bishop Fellay was not seeking re-election, but hey, what good are facts to get in the way of a juicy story... #detraction #calumny

http://radtradthomist.chojnowski.me/2018...final.html
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
I remember that on this forum Fr Joseph Pfeiffer, then with the SSPX, was very popular with some members.  He now runs his own "Marian-Corps" outfit but often speaks in a way that makes one feel that he is still a part of the SSPX. His homebase is the USA but he runs centers in Britain, Australia, the Philippines . Do any of his friends here know what he has said about this election of the new SG?