Bare Minimum for Mass
Hi, some Catholic friends, a priest and I are going camping for a few days out in the woods. We are going to have Mass each day and I was wondering what the bare minimum for a licit Mass in the Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo) is. Don't just say "well, a priest, bread, and wine is all that is strictly necessary for a valid sacrament," we're in no post-apocalyptic situation so there's no need for a priest to wear plain clothes, for example. I've tried making a list; is there something I'm forgeting? 

- Priest
- Sacramental bread and wine

- Vestments of the Priest (alb, cincture, stole, chasuble, amice if necessary)
- Altar covered in at least one altar linen
- At least two candles
- A crucifix
- Roman Missal
- Vessels (chalice, ciborium, paten, cruets, lavabo bowl)
- Corporal, Purificator, Pall, and Finger towel
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
(07-12-2018, 02:51 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: Hi, some Catholic friends, a priest and I are going camping for a few days out in the woods. We are going to have Mass each day and I was wondering what the bare minimum for a licit Mass in the Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo) is. Don't just say "well, a priest, bread, and wine is all that is strictly necessary for a valid sacrament," we're in no post-apocalyptic situation so there's no need for a priest to wear plain clothes, for example. I've tried making a list; is there something I'm forgeting? 

- Priest

- At least two candles
- A crucifix
- Roman Missal

Looks to me like you've got it.  Don't forget to bring water and a lighter!
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
(07-12-2018, 02:51 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: Hi, some Catholic friends, a priest and I are going camping for a few days out in the woods. We are going to have Mass each day and I was wondering what the bare minimum for a licit Mass in the Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo) is. Don't just say "well, a priest, bread, and wine is all that is strictly necessary for a valid sacrament," we're in no post-apocalyptic situation so there's no need for a priest to wear plain clothes, for example. I've tried making a list; is there something I'm forgeting? 

- Priest

- At least two candles
- A crucifix
- Roman Missal

Enough purificators for all of the masses that will be said.