Because My Brittle Heart May Be Cracking
As jaded as I thought that I had become, a pretty and sweet Eastern European gal may be changing everything for me. I suppose there is some truth to the saying that behind every cynic is a frustrated romantic.  Gawsh, I am starting to feel like a teenager again.

Anyway, I have been inspired to post one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies, Before Sunrise. No commentary could better capture the the playful anxiety and the elation-tinged-with-despair of which falling for someone consists.

Good luck.
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary
(07-13-2018, 09:30 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: As jaded as I thought that I had become, a pretty and sweet Eastern European gal may be changing everything for me. I suppose there is some truth to the saying that behind every cynic is a frustrated romantic.  Gawsh, I am starting to feel like a teenager again.

Anyway, I have been inspired to post one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies, Before Sunrise. No commentary could better capture the the playful anxiety and the elation-tinged-with-despair of which falling for someone consists. 

Dead man walking!

J/K.

Seriously, have hand and keep it. Don't pedestalize. Don't be the first one to say "I love you." If she's typical, keep her guessing a little, a tad on edge. She gives you X, you give her X/2. Chicks need to emote, not to have their problems solved. Teasing playfulness, strength, protectiveness w/out condescension, a touch of cockiness, and surprises go far. That is my fortune cookie fortune for you. May you both fall in love, stay chaste, marry the right way, and have many bambini Sticking tongue out at you
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 7 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • austenbosten, Bourbon Apocalypse, Catherine, jovan66102, Roger Buck, ServusDei, Some Guy
(07-13-2018, 12:04 PM) pid=\1379091' Wrote:Dead man walking!

J/K.

Seriously, have hand and keep it. Don't pedestalize. Don't be the first one to say "I love you." If she's typical, keep her guessing a little, a tad on edge. She gives you X, you give her X/2. Chicks need to emote, not to have their problems solved. Teasing playfulness, strength, protectiveness w/out condescension, a touch of cockiness, and surprises go far. That is my fortune cookie fortune for you. May you both fall in love, stay chaste, marry the right way, and have many bambini Sticking tongue out at you

Dead man walking is about right.

All sound advice--thank you!
Christ bless you and your gal. Smile
Kindly keep me in your prayer intentions . . . 

“In life and in death, keep close to Jesus and give yourself into his faithful keeping; He alone can help you when all others fail you.”
— Thomas a Kempis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enquiring into Holy Orthodoxy . . . 
(07-13-2018, 09:30 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: As jaded as I thought that I had become, a pretty and sweet Eastern European gal may be changing everything for me.

Not a mail order bride, right?

Couldn't resist.

All joking aside, I'll keep you/y'all in my Rosary intentions. As far as a relationship, just be yourself. Treat her right, but don't put her on a pedestal.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(07-13-2018, 12:04 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Chicks need to emote, not to have their problems solved. 

Man if that ever is Truth!

How many times I've had my wife crying because of my stupidity in trying to "solve her problem" instead of just listening and being a shoulder to cry on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
Thanks, everyone!

Per Jeeter: Ha, but no--I found this one fair and square.
(07-15-2018, 09:06 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Man if that ever is Truth!

How many times I've had my wife crying because of my stupidity in trying to "solve her problem" instead of just listening and being a shoulder to cry on.

Oh yeah.. So much heartache, on both sides, could be eradicated if men would get this. It's one of the very, very few kvetches I have about guys (whose company I tend to prefer lots more than women's). Guys get hurt/pissed because they're really, truly  giving a damn* and are "trying to help," only to be met with sulking and anger, and the gals are annoyed and hurt because all they want is for their men to go "there, there now, baby" and hand them a tissue and touch them. And men, God love 'em, tend to feel personally responsible for their women's happiness -- i.e., if she's not happy, he takes it "personally" ("What do I gotta DO to make you happy, for crying out loud?", as if her problem is "about him"), often getting angry at her, which only adds to the problem. It's a nasty vicious circle, easily nipped by just offering a shoulder, eye contact, some "tell Daddy all about its," and all that good stuff, until she gets her emotional ya-yas out.

* IMO, men tend to care a lot more about their women's happiness than women care about men's.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 4 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • austenbosten, Roger Buck, Sacred Heart lover, Some Guy
If she's upset, hug her warmly.

If she growls, retreat and throw chocolate.

LOL
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 4 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten, Sacred Heart lover, ServusDei, The Tax Collector