The best thing a man can do for his children is.....
Peace...I once heard, "The best thing a man can do for his children, is to love their mother."  Agree?  I do - it brings them a sense of security, but also a good example of love, support, respect and relationship. 
 God bless, angeltime Heart
[-] The following 3 users Like angeltime's post:
  • gospel654, jovan66102, tucherb
I would say teach them to love God would be #1. However, a strong marriage is a bedrock for the children. Children who see a dysfunctional marriage carry that baggage with them their entire lives, whereas a strong marriage will have a great and positive impact. So I guess we can say that would probably be #2.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • angeltime, gospel654
(07-15-2018, 03:46 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I would say teach them to love God would be #1. However, a strong marriage is a bedrock for the children. Children who see a dysfunctional marriage carry that baggage with them their entire lives, whereas a strong marriage will have a great and positive impact. So I guess we can say that would probably be #2.

However, from my own very painful experience, if the 'priest and king' of the domestic Church, the father, does not love the 'queen', the mother, there is absolutely no hope of teaching them to love God. So, I think it's one and the same.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • angeltime, gospel654, tucherb
All of the above.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • CaptCrunch73
Agree with the above - If someone says, "I love God," but hates a Christian brother or sister, that person is a liar; for if we don't love people we can see, how can we love God, whom we cannot see?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Markie Boy's post:
  • angeltime
(07-15-2018, 04:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-15-2018, 03:46 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I would say teach them to love God would be #1. However, a strong marriage is a bedrock for the children. Children who see a dysfunctional marriage carry that baggage with them their entire lives, whereas a strong marriage will have a great and positive impact. So I guess we can say that would probably be #2.

However, from my own very painful experience, if the 'priest and king' of the domestic Church, the father, does not love the 'queen', the mother, there is absolutely no hope of teaching them to love God. So, I think it's one and the same.

Absolutely.  The two go hand-in-hand.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
The best thing a woman can do for her future children is pick them a really good daddy.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • angeltime, Some Guy
(07-16-2018, 08:00 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: The best thing a woman can do for her future children is pick them a really good daddy.

To go beyond that, a woman should love and respect her husband. A woman who shows disrespect for her husband, especially in front of their children sows discord in the family.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • angeltime, BC
(07-16-2018, 09:18 AM)GangGreen Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 08:00 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: The best thing a woman can do for her future children is pick them a really good daddy.

To go beyond that, a woman should love and respect her husband. A woman who shows disrespect for her husband, especially in front of their children sows discord in the family.

This is important.  Everywhere one sees the lecturing of men to sacrifice for their wives and treat her as a queen and everyone nods their heads.  That's all well and good. 

But,  people start to get real prickly when the reciprocal is suggested for women to give due respect to their husbands or simply list their expectations for women no differently than how women do towards men. 

To see a husband , nagged, made fun-of, seen as a goof as television and Hollywood shamelessly portray men has been internalized by our culture.  Women have been encouraged to disrespect men.

https://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultur...0cpMen.htm

It's ridiculous to hear men on tv and radio laugh and say, " I defer to my wife, she is the queen, I do anything she says to make her happy."

That is not historically how Christian men acted.  They were kind and loving to their wives, but they were also leaders of the Household.  They didn't just defer everything to their wife or were scared to death they might get her angry.  That's just wrong. 

Women need to stop marrying jerks.  And men need to scoop up humble feminine, respectful women. 

An informative read:

The Role of Authority in the Family

https://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultur...Lassus.htm
(07-16-2018, 10:27 AM)BC Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 09:18 AM)GangGreen Wrote:

This is important.  Everywhere one sees the lecturing of men to sacrifice for their wives and treat her as a queen and everyone nods their heads.  That's all well and good. 

But,  people start to get real prickly when the reciprocal is suggested for women to give due respect to their husbands or simply list their expectations for women no differently than how women do towards men. 

To see a husband , nagged, made fun-of, seen as a goof as television and Hollywood shamelessly portray men has been internalized by our culture.  Women have been encouraged to disrespect men.

https://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultur...0cpMen.htm

It's ridiculous to hear men on tv and radio laugh and say, " I defer to my wife, she is the queen, I do anything she says to make her happy."

That is not historically how Christian men acted.  They were kind and loving to their wives, but they were also leaders of the Household.  They didn't just defer everything to their wife or were scared to death they might get her angry.  That's just wrong. 

And then they wonder why they are not respected or their wives lose physical attraction for them, having been emasculated.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doing-house...rried-men/

Women test men (usually subconsciously ) to see if they will actually let themselves be ordered around.  Men actually fail by acquiescing.
Peace.....those tv shows that belittle the man are junk and not real to life at all when some of the hard facts set in day to day.  There needs to be mutual respect in any relationship and for children to have a well-balanced emotional life and example for their own future decisions.  We all have weaknesses and that is why the "other" is there to fill that gap - but not to belittle or harrass.  Society really is functioning at an immature level and copying the wrong set of ideals.  God bless, angeltime Heart