Preaching on sin & repentance
So i had a conversation at breakfast this morning with a seminarian. I said to him when you become a priest please preach about sin, cofession and repentance. He told me they are taught that people already know their sin and don't need to be told about it. I proceeded to tell him if what he said was true then the line for confession wou be very, very long. He said people are afraid of confession. I ended up telling him he was wrong. He actually made me very upset.

If this is what our seminaries are putting out here in the United States we are in big trouble. I asked him about celebrating the Latin Mass he said "why? nobody wants it". He is from the diocese of Toledo. I don't know what seminary he attends.

Lord help us all.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BobR67's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
I literally have zero comprehension as to why a watered down Catholic would ever EVER want to be a priest. It totally escapes me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Some Guy's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
I'm sure some people are afraid of confession. However, it's also naive to think that people know their sins. So many people when you tell them x, y, z are sins, they say, I never knew that! If priests are so confident that people are afraid of confession, then why not preach confession at least? In fact, a priest should be able to preach confession with regularity and not have it sound harsh or condemning. If people know their sins and aren't going to confession, why? Do they not believe in confession? Do they not know the consequences of avoiding confession? Do they not care? I don't care how afraid I'd be, if a priest says "If you die with a single unrepentant mortal sin, you'll go to hell. If you receive the Lord with a single unrepentant mortal sin, you commit sacrilege and another great sin" wouldn't I run to the confessional to avoid such a fate?
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(07-17-2018, 11:19 AM)Some Guy Wrote: I literally have zero comprehension as to why a watered down Catholic would ever EVER want to be a priest. It totally escapes me.

Fewer and fewer do, which is why the Traditional Orders and orthodox Dioceses like Lincoln are the only ones with no vocations problem. Of course, the following illustrates the modernist mindset.

Quote:It has taken the shortage of priestly and religious vocations to awaken in us an appreciation of a broadly based shared ministry and a realization that it is in the nature of the Church as the Body of Christ to be endowed with many gifts, ministries and offices. What some refer to as a "vocations crisis" is, rather, one of the many fruits of the Second Vatican Council, a sign of God’s deep love for the Church, (emphasis added) and an invitation to a more creative and effective ordering of gifts and energy in the Body of Christ. This is a time of great challenge and opportunity in the Church, not least of all because the gifts of the lay faithful have been flourishing in unprecedented numbers and in unforeseen ways.-Cardinal Roger Mahony
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Some Guy
It's as if they want to create a church without a priesthood. Water it down, make people stop believing in the sacrifice of the Mass and the Eucharist, make people stop going to confession, make lay people more involved in the liturgy and day-to-day operations of the parish, etc. You can see that it's headed straight a Protestant-like creation where the priest is nothing more than a presider who gets up in front of the people and we say "Testify brotha! Can I get an amen!"
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(07-17-2018, 01:24 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I'm sure some people are afraid of confession. However, it's also naive to think that people know their sins. So many people when you tell them x, y, z are sins, they say, I never knew that! If priests are so confident that people are afraid of confession, then why not preach confession at least? In fact, a priest should be able to preach confession with regularity and not have it sound harsh or condemning. If people know their sins and aren't going to confession, why? Do they not believe in confession? Do they not know the consequences of avoiding confession? Do they not care? I don't care how afraid I'd be, if a priest says "If you die with a single unrepentant mortal sin, you'll go to hell. If you receive the Lord with a single unrepentant mortal sin, you commit sacrilege and another great sin" wouldn't I run to the confessional to avoid such a fate?

Um, didn't you get the memo?  We don't believe that anymore.  That was pre-Vatican II.  Sticking tongue out at you

Seriously, my husband went to Catholic school from kindergarten through college and never learned what a mortal sin is.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
Pretty sad, repentace is truly at the heart of the Christian life. I love st. John chrysostoms homilies on the topic. Seminaries seem like a breeding ground for creeps these days honestly (not making that claim about your friend you met up with btw). We need more well balanced, strong men to be religious.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
I've heard from priests there are good and bad seminaries.

Of course, I'm quite sure they teach repentance at the FSSP and the ICK and SSPX seminaries!
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(07-17-2018, 02:29 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Um, didn't you get the memo?  We don't believe that anymore.  That was pre-Vatican II.  Sticking tongue out at you
You mean like this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-17-2018, 11:19 AM)Some Guy Wrote: I literally have zero comprehension as to why a watered down Catholic would ever EVER want to be a priest. It totally escapes me.

Career choice.
Lifestyle choice.
Don't have to explain to the parents why you are not married with kids.
Don't have to actually produce anything in a capitalist market.