Preaching on sin & repentance
(07-17-2018, 04:32 PM)MaryTN Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 11:19 AM)Some Guy Wrote: I literally have zero comprehension as to why a watered down Catholic would ever EVER want to be a priest. It totally escapes me.

Career choice.
Lifestyle choice.
Don't have to explain to the parents why you are not married with kids.
Don't have to actually produce anything in a capitalist market.

That last one is huge!  I have a friend that was in seminary, and our discussions on how lax and unmotivated some priests are is something.  We both saw that once a priest is settled in they can produce next to nothing for decades and keep their job as things slowly decline.

Funny - my old Baptist pastor is possibly the hardest working, evangelizing pastor I have seen.  Theology is a little off of course, but he was relentless to see souls converted.  Evangelizing, Bible study, Kids Club, extra prayer meetings - every week!

Here between three parishes there is no evangelizing, and not one regular Bible study.  I don't understand sometimes how the Catholic Priest on screen saver mode has more of the Holy Spirit than my old Baptist Pastor - it's a confusing picture.
(07-17-2018, 02:29 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Um, didn't you get the memo?  We don't believe that anymore.  That was pre-Vatican II.  Sticking tongue out at you

lol

Quote:Seriously, my husband went to Catholic school from kindergarten through college and never learned what a mortal sin is.

Sounds like my Catholic high school experience. I honestly don't remember hearing about transubstantiation or mortal sin, we had 2 nuns who you never would've guessed were nuns since they didn't wear habits, but I remember hearing something about being nice, pillars of Islam, and feels. Or something like that.

(07-17-2018, 03:44 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 02:29 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Um, didn't you get the memo?  We don't believe that anymore.  That was pre-Vatican II.  Sticking tongue out at you
You mean like this?

I love the irony of it, coming from a "church" founded by a guy so he could do something Jesus specifically said not to do.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(07-17-2018, 10:17 PM)Markie Boy Wrote: That last one is huge!  I have a friend that was in seminary, and our discussions on how lax and unmotivated some priests are is something.  We both saw that once a priest is settled in they can produce next to nothing for decades and keep their job as things slowly decline.

Funny - my old Baptist pastor is possibly the hardest working, evangelizing pastor I have seen.  Theology is a little off of course, but he was relentless to see souls converted.  Evangelizing, Bible study, Kids Club, extra prayer meetings - every week!

Here between three parishes there is no evangelizing, and not one regular Bible study.  I don't understand sometimes how the Catholic Priest on screen saver mode has more of the Holy Spirit than my old Baptist Pastor - it's a confusing picture.

Makes one wonder if priests should be given their stipend based on net new converts vs. those who leave each year adjusted for population and other things of that nature. Work hard, grow your flock, and keep them and we'll pay you better. Of course, that kind of stuff should also be what helps consider one for bishop.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(07-18-2018, 01:21 PM)GangGreen Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 10:17 PM)Markie Boy Wrote: That last one is huge!  I have a friend that was in seminary, and our discussions on how lax and unmotivated some priests are is something.  We both saw that once a priest is settled in they can produce next to nothing for decades and keep their job as things slowly decline.

Makes one wonder if priests should be given their stipend based on net new converts vs. those who leave each year adjusted for population and other things of that nature. Work hard, grow your flock, and keep them and we'll pay you better. Of course, that kind of stuff should also be what helps consider one for bishop.

An awesome idea!  Even just posting those numbers would be something.  

I hear our clergy complain about population decline so there are less people in Church.  Meanwhile the protestant church down the road builds a whole new big building.  Guess they don't turn left out of the Church parking lot too oftenHuh?
Eeeh. I am not on board with tying material wealth with the salvation of souls. This ain’t prosperity gospel.