Healing Masses - are they legit?
Are healing Masses legit?  They don't seem to have a historical lineage, not that faith healing isn't real, I just think it's less in our control than the concept the healing Masses make it look.

I guess I believe in faith healing, not so sure about there being faith healers today.
(07-22-2018, 09:55 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: Are healing Masses legit?  They don't seem to have a historical lineage, not that faith healing isn't real, I just think it's less in our control than the concept the healing Masses make it look.

I guess I believe in faith healing, not so sure about there being faith healers today.

This is absolute modernist rubbish not found anywhere in Catholic tradition.
I had my first and only undeniable experience of God at a healing mass.  God can't be confined to the boxes some trads wish he would remain in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(07-22-2018, 01:48 PM)Melkite Wrote: I had my first and only undeniable experience of God at a healing mass.  God can't be confined to the boxes some trads wish he would remain in.

Anecdotes do not an argument make.

Men claim to have great contact with God while high on hallucinogenic drugs. And perhaps in such a deplorable state, the Sacred Heart, in His Mercy, somehow gives them some light to help draw them away from their sins.

So, in no way do I question or minimize your experience, Melkite, but pabbie is correct. This is a novel thing with absolutely no foundation in Catholic tradition. It was "borrowed" from heretical Pentecostalism.

Can God somehow work through that on individual souls who are devoted to Him? Sure.

Does that make the novelty right? Not in the least.
[-] The following 5 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Credidi Propter, jovan66102, pabbie, Sacred Heart lover, ServusDei
(07-22-2018, 05:28 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 01:48 PM)Melkite Wrote: I had my first and only undeniable experience of God at a healing mass.  God can't be confined to the boxes some trads wish he would remain in.

Anecdotes do not an argument make.

Men claim to have great contact with God while high on hallucinogenic drugs. And perhaps in such a deplorable state, the Sacred Heart, in His Mercy, somehow gives them some light to help draw them away from their sins.

So, in no way do I question or minimize your experience, Melkite, but pabbie is correct. This is a novel thing with absolutely no foundation in Catholic tradition. It was "borrowed" from heretical Pentecostalism.

Can God somehow work through that on individual souls who are devoted to Him? Sure.

Does that make the novelty right? Not in the least.

Ok.  Fair point.  But if you're going to go with Pabbie's argument, he's conflating modernist with modern.  The practice may have developed relatively recently in a heretical Christian movement, but it's not something that is ideologically modernist.
(07-22-2018, 01:08 PM)pabbie Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 09:55 AM)Markie Boy Wrote: Are healing Masses legit?  They don't seem to have a historical lineage, not that faith healing isn't real, I just think it's less in our control than the concept the healing Masses make it look.

What about Padre Pio and the many people who claimed to be healed when they went to him?
(07-23-2018, 12:53 AM)Poche Wrote:

What about Padre Pio and the many people who claimed to be healed when they went to him?

Not exactly the same thing as a Charismatic "healing Mass" methinks ...
(07-23-2018, 04:01 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(07-23-2018, 12:53 AM)Poche Wrote:

Not exactly the same thing as a Charismatic "healing Mass" methinks ...

If Padre Pio's masses were inspired by the Holy Spirit then you can't get more Charismatic than that.
I witnessed a man healed of paralysis at a healing Mass, many years ago.  As Melkite says, let's not attempt to limit the Holy Ghost in that regard.  That being said, we should distinguish this from other aspects, such as liturgical abuse of interrupting the Mass for fabricated, paraliturgical rites, especially so-called charismatic ones.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
It's perfectly okay to offer the mass in hopes of a cure for some ailment but we mustn't become superstitious or turn God into a vending machine. Likewise we mustn't insert new rites into the liturgy without explicit permission and even then only with a close regard to tradition.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!