I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution
(06-03-2019, 10:53 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I'm no Darwinist (I reject Darwinism as totally unproven), and I preface this this way, because I'm sure to be accused of defending Darwinism by mere objection to the above.

It's a bit odd to be posting heretical Protestant theology professors' video on a Catholic forum as suggestions of Catholic doctrine.

McMurtry is called "Doctor" here and "ex-evolutionist." He is a Doctor, but a Doctor of Divinity, though in this and his other writings, he's always very careful not to explicitly point out he's not a Geologist, Biologist, Paleontologist or any other Doctor in a field of natural sciences. He studied Forestry, and then eventually went to a Baptist seminary. He's not a Catholic.

He's just another heretic who has an opinion. And calling himself "Doctor" and then giving a talk on Geology, suggests he is a trained and expert Geologist. He's not.

He starts out saying that there are bare claims of "millions or billions of years" which is not accurate. He then gets into Geology, and again, makes terribly false claims.

Typical Protestant jabberwocky, this. Nothing Catholic in this video at all.

Taking what is know about natural processes for which very detailed data exists and running them backward shows a very old universe. The only way to get around this is to reject uniformitarianism, and if this is done, then any scientific study also does. If the processes are not uniform, then there are no Natural Laws, and this undermines any possible study of nature at all.

Ah yes, the old ad hominem ploy, attack the person in the hope that what he said will not be taken seriously. Well I for one Magister am capable of discerning the credibility of this man's arguments on their merit alone.

As for his Protestantism, well the history of 'faith and science' shows us that were it not for Protestants few would know the truth. Catholicism championed all the false sciences as they emerged even though it was their duty to protect the flock from false philosophy.

‘See to it that no one deceives you by philosophy and vain deceit, according to human traditions, according to the elements of the world and not according to Christ.’ ---- Colossians Chap. 2:8.

‘O Timothy, guard the trust and keep free from profane novelties in speech and the contradictions of so-called knowledge, which some have professed and have fallen away from the faith.’ --- I Timothy 6:20.

First it was the 1835 papal capitulation to heliocentrism that had been defined as formal heresy. This rejected the geocentrism of Scripture held by all the Fathers. When long-ages contradicted the ages of Genesis, and Charles Darwin's Origin of Species asserted the evolution of species contrary to immediate creation held by all in the Church since its beginning, the Catholic Church, rendered dumb and redundant by their 1835 rejection of geocentrism, did not even put Darwin's book on the Idex.

Protestants in the meantime were defending direct creation held by the Fathers. In 1860, a Protestant Professor Schoeppfer wrote a book The Earth Stands Fast  defending the position of the Catholic Church in 1616 and 1633, a position rejected by Pius VII in 1835. By the end of the century science had shown that the Earth does not orbit the sun. In 1905 Einstein confirmed the geocentrism of the Scrioptures was NEVER PROVEN FALSE.

As regards evolution, well long ages was accommodated by the biblical commission in 1909 whereas Protestants held to Genesis's immediate creation spread out in six days. In 1950 Pope Pius XII in his Humani Generis actually allowed the evolution of Adam from 'pre-existing living matter' be considered. Genesis states Adam waas created from inanimate prer-existing matter (CLAY). So Humanis Generis allows Adam from a monkey be 'discussed.'
Oh, the following year, Pius XII told the Pontifical Academy of science:

'With the same clear and critical look with which it examines and passes judgment on facts, it perceives and recognizes the work of creative omnipotence, whose power, set in motion by the mighty “Fiat” pronounced billions of years ago by the Creating Spirit, spread out over the universe, calling into existence with a gesture of generous love matter bursting with energy. In fact, it would seem that present-day science, with one sweeping step back across millions of centuries, has succeeded in bearing witness to that primordial “Fiat lux” uttered at the moment when, along with matter, there burst forth from nothing a sea of light and radiation, while the particles of chemical elements split and formed into millions of galaxies.’

Yes, it all started with the Big Bang. Since Pius XII, all popes promoted heliocentrism, long ages and evolution. Protestants on the other hand are faithful to God ex nihilo creation, once a dogma of the Catholic Church. Oh yes there were/are Catholic creationists but when their popes are all heliocentrists, long agers and evolutionists, few listen to them.

And some wonder why Catholicism is a dying religion on Earth. When Scripture is made comply with human reason, faith goes out the window. As it has.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cassini's post:
  • Tolkien RRJ

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution - by cassini - 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM