I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution
(06-29-2019, 05:31 AM)cassini Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 09:25 PM)Stanis Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 12:56 PM)cassini Wrote:
... He also gave to the sun its brilliancy, and to the moon and stars their beauty; and that they may be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years. He so ordered the celestial bodies in a certain and uniform course that nothing varies more than their continual revolution, while nothing is more fixed than their variety…. The Earth also God commanded to stand in the midst of the world, rooted in its own foundations [Psa. 103:5: You fixed the Earth upon its foundations, not to be moved forever], and made the mountains ascend, and the plains descend into the place that He had founded for them…. He next not only clothed and adorned it with trees and every variety of plants and flowers, but filled it, as He had already filled the air and water, with innumerable kinds of creatures…. Not only does God protect and govern all things by His Providence, but He also by an internal power impels to motion and action whatever moves and acts, and this in such a manner that, although He excludes not, He yet precedes the agency of secondary causes.--=-Catechism of the Council of Trent: Marian Publications, 1976, pp.28, 29, 30.

Now how about that, the catechism of the Council of Trent actually taught the sun moves around the Earth based on Psalms 103:5.

You bolded the bolded part of the quote above. Could you explain what any of this has to do with geocentrism? Ps 103:5 in particular appears to me to refer to dry land. I don't see anything there saying the Sun moves around the Earth.

It is most difficult to discuss this subject with people totally who put up replies like above Stanis. It is as though the prejudice against the doctrine of geocentrism is such as to make people blind.

Geocentrism has the Earth static at the centre of the universe (You fixed the Earth upon its foundations, not to be moved forever ) with the sun and stars turning around the Earth every 24 hours (He so ordered the celestial bodies in a certain and uniform course that nothing varies more than their continual revolution).

Revolution of celestial bodies (sun, stars, planets and moon) means going around the Earth.

Really Statis, I have read so many objections to geocentrism, but this has to be the last straw.

Yes, you can read geocentrism into the "revolutions" phrase, but it doesn't exclude non-geocentric ways of seeing the universe. It doesn't even exclude modern science, which also has the sun, stars, etc. oribiting other things and revolving on their own axes.

And here is the start of the psalm. In it, "earth" is contrasted to the waters. It looks to me like it's referring to dry land, not the globe of the earth.

[1] For David himself. Bless the Lord, O my soul: O Lord my God, thou art exceedingly great. Thou hast put on praise and beauty:
[2] And art clothed with light as with a garment. Who stretchest out the heaven like a pavilion: 
[3] Who coverest the higher rooms thereof with water. Who makest the clouds thy chariot: who walkest upon the wings of the winds. 
[4] Who makest thy angels spirits: and thy ministers a burning fire. 
[5] Who hast founded the earth upon its own bases: it shall not be moved for ever and ever. 
[6] The deep like a garment is its clothing: above the mountains shall the waters stand. 
[7] At thy rebuke they shall flee: at the voice of thy thunder they shall fear. 
[8] The mountains ascend, and the plains descend into the place which thou hast founded for them. 
[9] Thou hast set a bound which they shall not pass over; neither shall they return to cover the earth. 
[10] Thou sendest forth springs in the vales: between the midst of the hills the waters shall pass.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution - by Stanis - 06-29-2019, 07:24 AM