I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution
(07-05-2019, 09:12 AM)cassini Wrote: Vatican I decreed:

‘All that exists outside God was, in its whole substance, produced out of nothing by God. (De fide.) ‘This sole true God by His goodness and omnipotent power, not to increase His own beatitude, and not to add to, but to manifest His perfections by the blessings which he bestows upon creatures with most free volition, immediately from the beginning of time fashioned each creature, out of nothing, spiritual and corporeal, namely the angelic and the mundane; and then the human creation, common as it were, composed of both spirit and body.’--- Vatican I.

One cannot say that God created things ‘in their whole substance’ if all evolved bit by bit and continues to evolve. ‘Substance,’ classic philosophy says, means ‘what something is’ and not what something can become or is becoming. Did the Lord not say His creating was finished on the last day?

Finally the dogma says God FINISHED His creation. Evolution is never finished, it is ongoing.

Practically every Catholic theologian of any repute, after Vatican I, allowed for some form of theistic evolution. Even Garrigou-Lagrange. That alone should suggest that you're misinterpreting this. The Vatican I statement is affirming that God created the universe out of nothing. It doesn't exclude the views of several of the Fathers (including St. Augustine) that some things were created in their causes, and appeared later.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution - by Stanis - 07-05-2019, 11:06 AM