I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution
(09-14-2019, 10:13 AM)Alphonse il Segundo Wrote: I'll have to confess ignorance of the theological arguments that Fr. Seraphim makes but I have a problem with this proposition. 

It seems very hard for me to believe that the sin of mankind would vastly alter the order God has woven into the universe. Also, if this were the case then it would seem to make God out to be some sort of a trickster. He has given mankind a reason and intellect to know things about the universe that he inhabits but that universe is set up deceptively. 
It's a result of a change in nature, which is exactly what sin does. Thorns and brambles were not something present in Paradise, but once Adam and Eve fell, then they were introduced through a corruption of the nature of things due to sin.

Quote:The second thing I have a problem with is this 

Quote:with the subsequent ejection of Adam and Eve from Paradise into fleshly bodies

What precisely are you saying here? Are you saying that Adam and Even did not have bodies made of flesh before the fall? Are you just saying that we have fallen nature? Which is it?

It comes from an allegorical interpretation of Genesis 3:21 by St. Gregory of Nyssa in On the Soul and Resurrection: 
"He [Gregory] interprets them [the garments] in a figurative sense, associating them with "such accretions [as] sexual intercourse, conception, partition, impurities, suckling, feeding, evacuation, gradual growth to full size, prime of life, old age, disease, and death."

Further, 'garments of skin's can refer to the passions as well in St. Gregory's On Those Who Have Fallen Asleep: "The garments of skin have all the properties belonging to an irrational nature: pleasure, anger, gluttony, greed, and similar tendencies which allow man to choose between virtue and evil."

Therefore, my use of "fleshly" has much more to do with the scriptural sense of the "flesh" meaning concupiscence rather than referring to their actual physical bodies, which they undeniably possessed in Paradise.

The Fall had a fundamental effect on not just the spiritual state of man, but the essences of all created things as corruption and death entered the world through Adam.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"modern Catholics have tended to put too much faith in the pope and too little in the Church." - Bishop Williamson.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Florus

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution - by Augustinian - 09-14-2019, 11:19 AM