I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution
(02-25-2020, 01:22 PM)Augustinian Wrote: This is more of a stream-of-consciousness than a serious argument, but here's an excerpt from my "journal" on the subject of evolution;

Quote:The thought of devolution crossed my mind this morning while reflecting upon the Fall and the teachings of the Church and Fathers on Genesis. Man fell from an exalted and perfect state. This need be kept in mind. And since all things were formally perfect in the Paradise of Eden, plants, creatures, and Man. So too were they afflicted by the Fall. The modern sentiment is that man developed from lesser things into his current form, only to change once more. They are correct in their view of simplicity becoming multiplicity, but erroneous in their assessment of it from purely natural means. It is seen as an upward progression from the less perfect to the more perfect. When rather, it is the opposite. What were once perfect in form under the physical expression of a creaturely kind,  as Man in Adam and Eve, so did things devolve into a multiplicity according to their kind. So Man became the multiplicity of men, in their various races, so too did the animals fall suit according to their kind. There was once a Lion in perfect creation, which has digressed into multiple forms of the feline species. They are all the singular kind of feline, from this "common ancestor" of the Paradisical Lion, but have a multiplicity of accidental expressions of lesser perfection. And so it is with all creatures ad infinitum, and so it will continue for all time until the Last Day when Christ recreates the heavens and the earth.

Take it as you will, but just something I was reflecting on.

Just one small point of contention.

My reading suggest that you think that the animals were in some way changed by man's fall. That does not accord with the Thomistic understanding, and so the mainstream Catholic notion. St Thomas, in fact, calls the change of animals by man's fall ridiculous.

The idea here is that, if man had control by his fall over the nature of the animals, then he would be equal with God, because only the Creator can change the nature of a thing, since to give a nature is to create a new thing. Since man does not have this power by nature, it makes no sense that he would gain this power by sin. Appeal to God for this change, and then it undermines the Wisdom and Providence of God.

There are some early Fathers who, being Platonists, were okay with this idyllic world, where in a sense Paradise was the "world of ideas" and things were broken by the fall, but this does not really work with Catholic theology as it's developed.

There are even some early Fathers who denied that animals were in Paradise, and instead that they lived outside of Paradise which was a symbol of the Sanctifying Grace that rational creatures had. Since man is rational animal, an no one would think plants were rational or touched by Sanctifying Grace, it was proper that only a rational animal in Sanctifying Grace be admitted. Animals were brought to the edge of the garden for Adam to name, and thus Eve should have known very clearly that the serpent was a trap.

That's not offered as a rebuke, but as a means of facilitating discussion and perhaps deeper thought.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Evolutionist - Skepticism of Evolution - by MagisterMusicae - 02-27-2020, 05:36 PM