Question about cassock and surplice
So, my priest is going to Poland at the end of the year, and since quality vestments are much cheaper there than here, I'm thinking about having him get me a nice cassock and a lace surplice for serving. I don't own my own so I use some loaners. My question is: is it ok to get a nice clerical cassock (without a Roman collar of course)? Like, the type that priests wear with the buttons that fasten through a hole instead of a snap fastener. Thanks.
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
I see no problem. Most Parishes just have a few to fit various size servers. Whilst I was still an Anglican, a purchase I made with my first ever income tax refund was a good cassock in my size. My cathedral parish probably had 40 or 50 servers' cassocks, but I could never find one that fit! :D
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • LaudeturIesus
KISS Principle.

A higher-quality fitted cassock is a good idea, but I would avoid some extremes since you're a laic serving, and not a monsignor.

Get covered buttons (they don't show), and no trim or piping. Do not wear a sash. Do not get the up-turned cuffs.

As regards the surplice, I would get yourself a plainer one, not one with much (if any) lace. Lace is a sign of joy and of rank. It should be pretty limited in most cases, especially on lay servers, and generally like all liturgical items, there should be some distinction between a Low 4th class Requiem Mass and a Pontifical Mass at the Throne for Ordinations on the Feast of the Sacred Heart.

In the first case, simple, plain items should be used, and in the latter, all the stops pulled. Daily Mass, or Sunday Mass should be in between, but most probably closer to simpler and plainer. Thus servers should not have lace on these days. Even the priest's alb should probably have only a little fringe or insert of lace and not be totally shear.

IMHO, totally shear surplices (which you do find) are completely inappropriate.

So that advice in place, get what you want, but perhaps you can get something more fitting for less money here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
(07-29-2018, 08:25 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: SNIP

For the cassock I was thinking of something like this, minus the Roman collar and sash. 

For the surplice I was thinking something more like this rather than anything with more lace.
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
(07-29-2018, 09:27 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 08:25 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: SNIP

For the cassock I was thinking of something like this, minus the Roman collar and sash. 

For the surplice I was thinking something more like this rather than anything with more lace.

Good choices, I think.