Please help: Two mortal sin related questions.
(07-31-2018, 11:12 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If he was legitimately unable to Confess (and it sounds like he was), the Sacrament would be efficacious in forgiving even mortal sins, so long as he was contrite.

This may be a silly question, but how can we know if one is contrite? Or is this a case in which we assume contrition, pray for the individual that God may have mercy upon them?

(07-31-2018, 11:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Seriously, Jeeter, you know that you can order the coffee online? Unfortunately they don't sell the addictive sugar syrup. :LOL:

No sugary syrup in coffee for me. I like coffee the way I like my women: hot, dark, and strong. :D
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Jeeter Wrote:No sugary syrup in coffee for me.

Same here. I love the strongest coffees. Starbucks sells over roasted coffee though, so I prefer making my own. Cold brew coffee is pretty decent.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
Fulton fan - it sounds like your being scrupoulous about your phone, not that being scroupoulous is a bad thing as it makes us perfect little souls- for your own peace of mind, just don't do it again - confess it if it makes you feel better. 

Your grandad did the right thing getting the last rights when he was sick, you don't know when your time is up.

I don't think you need to worry about him sinning - he thoughts are obviously with God at the moment, if he's calling a priest.
(07-31-2018, 10:59 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 10:11 AM)Melkite Wrote: It is, in my opinion, an odd practice that the Latin tradition reserves holy unction to near death.

We don't reserve Extreme Unction for "near death" but the validity of the Sacrament requires that there be a "danger of death". Whenever there is a new danger of death we can anoint again.

Wouldn't this be more an issue of liceity than validity?

The Greek Catholic churches offer holy unction at varying points throughout the year without danger of death, or even without anything other than spiritual illness.  I imagine Rome, at least in the first few centuries after reunion, would have made a stink about this if what we were doing was invalid.
Quote:The Greek Catholic churches offer holy unction at varying points throughout the year without danger of death, or even without anything other than spiritual illness.

I do wish we had this sacrament available to us more readily.

I don't want it abused as some priests are doing now, but I wonder if it's possible to change the rules someday as they changed the age for reception of the sacraments.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(08-01-2018, 02:57 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
Quote:The Greek Catholic churches offer holy unction at varying points throughout the year without danger of death, or even without anything other than spiritual illness.

I don't want it abused as some priests are doing now, but I wonder if it's possible to change the rules someday as they changed the age for reception of the sacraments.

According to St Thomas the sacrament should only be given to those who are actually sick with a possibility of death because the primary effect of the sacrament is spiritual healing which is signified by physical healing. Thus even if there is no physical healing there must at least be the possibility of physical healing and of course one who is not sick cannot be healed.

How this applies to the Greek Catholic Church I have no idea, perhaps it's a matter of the Power of the Keys?
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(08-01-2018, 06:32 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 11:12 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If he was legitimately unable to Confess (and it sounds like he was), the Sacrament would be efficacious in forgiving even mortal sins, so long as he was contrite.

This may be a silly question, but how can we know if one is contrite?  Or is this a case in which we assume contrition, pray for the individual that God may have mercy upon them?

We presume it. 

If a man lived generally as a Catholic and was reasonably faithful, we can assume that most Catholics would want their sins forgiven at such a point and thus have at least attrition (imperfect contrition) for them. If there is some doubt, such as a Catholic who is incapacitated due to some, ahem, less-than-ideal circumstances, the priest might give the Sacrament conditionally.

If the person did not live like a Catholic, then a priest might give conditional absolution (on the condition that he had sorrow for his sins) and entrust them to the Mercy of God, unless Extreme Unction would not scandalize people, in which case, he would give it conditionally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Jeeter
(08-01-2018, 08:42 PM)Dominicus Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 02:57 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:

According to St Thomas the sacrament should only be given to those who are actually sick with a possibility of death because the primary effect of the sacrament is spiritual healing which is signified by physical healing. Thus even if there is no physical healing there must at least be the possibility of physical healing and of course one who is not sick cannot be healed.

How this applies to the Greek Catholic Church I have no idea, perhaps it's a matter of the Power of the Keys?

A better question : Is this considered a Sacrament? Or are we speaking of an anointing which is merely sacramental?

The only issue for validity regards the Sacrament. Even Holy Oils could be used for sacramentals, and are even in the West (e.g. the Consecration of various objects uses Chrism).

My cursory understanding of the equivalent of Extreme Unction in the East is that several priests are involved and it is only for the sick as well, but that is based on a fairly limited knowledge.
(08-01-2018, 09:25 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: A better question : Is this considered a Sacrament? Or are we speaking of an anointing which is merely sacramental?

The only issue for validity regards the Sacrament. Even Holy Oils could be used for sacramentals, and are even in the West (e.g. the Consecration of various objects uses Chrism).

My cursory understanding of the equivalent of Extreme Unction in the East is that several priests are involved and it is only for the sick as well, but that is based on a fairly limited knowledge.

http://www.ststefanos.org/the-sacrament-...d-evening/

Based on this website, the Orthodox, at least, clearly believe they are administering the sacrament, not merely a sacramental.  While I've never heard it officially said that we are taking part in the sacrament, Eastern Catholic priests have individually confirmed to me that we are.  In the article, it mentions that the Orthodox do not see the sacrament as reserved to the danger of death, but for any physical or spiritual illness.  The priest at my parish has said the same thing in homilies, so it is my strong presumption that during this service, the priests are administering the sacrament of holy unction in an Eastern Catholic setting as well.
I know a person who was struggling with a serious affliction of sexual temptation that would keep them up all night long in battle.

A priest anointed them with oil and they were cured.

I'm not sure if that is considered an abuse of the sacrament or if that's allowed under the use of blessed oil.   :huh:
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!