Eucharistic Prayers.....
Pax!  I just wondered why at the N Ordo Mass there are options when praying the Eucharistic Prayer - for example, today I had to attend N Ordo and noticed the prayer being used reads - "blood will be POURED out" and not "blood will be SHED" - Doesn't it seem that "shed" is the proper word to use being more intense of the Crucifixion?  God bless, angeltime :heart:
There are no 'options' of that sort in the Eucharistic Prayers There are ten Eucharistic Prayers authorised, and except for authorised changes (i.e. at a Requiem, or on certain Feasts) they are supposed to be recited verbatim as they are printed in the Missal.

That is not to say that there aren't many Priests who think they can adlib any part of the Mass that they feel like changing.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(08-01-2018, 06:36 PM)angeltime Wrote: Pax!  I just wondered why at the N Ordo Mass there are options when praying the Eucharistic Prayer - for example, today I had to attend N Ordo and noticed the prayer being used reads - "blood will be POURED out" and not "blood will be SHED" - Doesn't it seem that "shed" is the proper word to use being more intense of the Crucifixion?  God bless, angeltime :heart:

If I'm not mistaken I believe 'poured out' is in the new official english translation of the canon, so the priest wasn't using an option.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
(08-01-2018, 06:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: There are no 'options' of that sort in the Eucharistic Prayers There are ten Eucharistic Prayers authorised, and except for authorised changes (i.e. at a Requiem, or on certain Feasts) they are supposed to be recited verbatim as they are printed in the Missal.

That is not to say that there aren't many Priests who think they can adlib any part of the Mass that they feel like changing.

Pax!  Well, I quickly looked in the missalette, and the Eucharistic Prayers were there and one of them uses the word "poured" replacing "shed."  Funny though, I noticed a few people looking in a missalette at the end of Mass as if they were checking also???  I don't like the term.....or adlibbing....God bless, angeltime :heart:
(08-01-2018, 06:54 PM)Florus Wrote: If I'm not mistaken I believe 'poured out' is in the new official english translation of the canon, so the priest wasn't using an option.

You are correct. I just checked my Missal which is the new translation and has all ten Eucharistic Prayers and they all use identical formulae for the Words of Institution, with 'poured', so the Priest was just doing what he should. If he had been using 'shed' in the past, he was violating the rules.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(08-01-2018, 08:03 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 06:54 PM)Florus Wrote: If I'm not mistaken I believe 'poured out' is in the new official english translation of the canon, so the priest wasn't using an option.

You are correct. I just checked my Missal which is the new translation and has all ten Eucharistic Prayers and they all use identical formulae for the Words of Institution, with 'poured', so the Priest was just doing what he should. If he had been using 'shed' in the past, he was violating the rules.

Peace.....to correct something - when I said "Options" I was referring to choosing one of the Eucharistic Prayers - not that the word Pour or Shed was the option.  I know priests who are still saying shed and so I was not used to hearing the word Pour.  Tks anyway!!  God bless, angeltime:)
(08-01-2018, 08:17 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....to correct something - when I said "Options" I was referring to choosing one of the Eucharistic Prayers - not that the word Pour or Shed was the option.  I know priests who are still saying shed and so I was not used to hearing the word Pour.  Tks anyway!!  God bless, angeltime:)

Oh, there are four Eucharistic Prayers that the Priest can pick from almost any time, and there are six more for reconciliation, etc., so in that sense, the Priest legally has ten 'options' when it comes to Eucharistic Prayers.

St Bernard of Clairvaux