Our Duties According to the Fatima Message
Some of the most cringeworthy replies I repeatedly see throughout this forum:
  • "The Rosary is good, but ...."
  • "Catholic tradition is good, but ...."
  • "But it's not binding ...."
Scripture says we must hold to tradition. It also says narrow is the path to heaven and few there are that find it, making it clear that few are saved. The bar is obviously set much higher to get into heaven than people think, so Catholics shouldn't be cutting corners and looking for excuses at every turn on why something doesn't need to be followed. With that kind of thinking you're not going to make the cut!
(08-03-2018, 10:41 AM)Florus Wrote: So what are the obligations and responsibilities so often spoken of? I fail to see how simply having 100% brown wool around your shoulders guarantees you anything without practice.

You are supposed to say either the Little Office, the Rosary, or some similar Marian devotion daily as well as practicing chastity according to ones state in life.

Other than that, it's a sacramental. It works just like any other sacramental. Its not some magic cloth you just put on and then "poof" instant holiness.

Primarily it's a symbol of Marian devotion, an outward sign of love for her and consecration to her. It's a reminder to practice chastity and holiness

There may or may not be particular promises associates with it but those are secondary.

I don't remember much but when I was enrolled I did read the Carmelites treatise on it.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
What makes the brown scapular special for me is that the Child Jesus was holding it at Fatima.

Also, it scratches you and itches, which serves as a little reminder throughout the day who you belong to and what your duties are.

It's also a source of humility because even if you wear it under your clothes, it tends to stick out, or you take it off for swimming, etc. and others will see it and ask about it.  It looks rather strange to others and more so than just a medal.

I feel embarrassed when my caregivers see it because it says on it, "Whoever wears this scapular shall not perish in the fires of Hell."  

I know that's gotta look strange to them. LOL :P

I want to explain, but don't want to explain, you know what I mean?
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • CaptCrunch73
(08-03-2018, 08:40 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: What makes the brown scapular special for me is that the Child Jesus was holding it at Fatima.

Also, it scratches you and itches, which serves as a little reminder throughout the day who you belong to and what your duties are.

It's also a source of humility because even if you wear it under your clothes, it tends to stick out, or you take it off for swimming, etc. and others will see it and ask about it.  It looks rather strange to others and more so than just a medal.

I feel embarrassed when my caregivers see it because it says on it, "Whoever wears this scapular shall not perish in the fires of Hell."  

I know that's gotta look strange to them. LOL :P

I want to explain, but don't want to explain, you know what I mean?
Yeah, I know exactly what you you mean, I tied my in the back to it doesn't ride up and stick out of my shirt. I used to get simple questions like "what is that?" To demeaning comments like, "oh, he's Catholic and wears one of those things that looks like a clothes tag"  :huh: 

It's also difficult to get people to understand that it's not the scapular that gives the benefits, it's not automatic, it's living the meaning behind the scapular that gives us hope of the promises attached to the scapular. People just don't get it, or want to get it...
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
[-] The following 3 users Like CaptCrunch73's post:
  • Dominicus, pabbie, Sacred Heart lover