Antisemitism in some catholic circles
I like the Pope Pius X approach;

“Does Your Holiness know the situation of the Jews?”

“Yes, from my Mantua days. Jews live there. And I have always been on good terms with Jews. Only the other evening two Jews were here to see me. After all, there are other bonds than those of religion: courtesy and philanthropy. These we do not deny to the Jews. Indeed, we also pray for them.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2018...ore-107740
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poche's post:
  • mpk1987
So, would Karaite Jews be the exception? From what I read they practice what is at least the closest thing to ancient Judaism, no Talmud or the like.
(08-04-2018, 02:52 PM)redneckpride4ever Wrote: So, would Karaite Jews be the exception? From what I read they practice what is at least the closest thing to ancient Judaism, no Talmud or the like.

There’s no ancient Judaism without the Temple. And there’s no need for the sacrifices of the Temple anymore. The continuation of Judaism is the Mass and the Church, not anything any group calling themselves Jews is doing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • mpk1987
Judaism without the Temple and it's sacrifices is like Catholicism without the sacraments Ie. Protestantism.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominicus's post:
  • mpk1987
So upon the destruction of the 2nd temple, by an ancient Jew's definition, true Judaism ceased to exist?

And as far as the Karaites, my point was more that they were the closest thing possible (through an ancient Jewish lens) sans temple. No talmud calling Mary a whore, etc.

I understand the Catholic theological view (obviously Christ's Church was now the right path, Eucharist the sacrifice meaning no more Korban, etc), but from a social perspective I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around it.

Once the temple was destroyed, did the Jews basically see their religion as nonfunctional and begin splintering into various forms (Rabbinic, Orthodox, etc.) since they couldn't practice an animal sacrifice?

Kind of like if Apostolic succession were to end for us. No sacraments would leave us in a disarray that would in essence turn us into Protestant sects (in both theological and sociological terms).

Would non-talmud sects like Karaites at least constitute the closer mindset of a Jew 2 days after the temple was destroyed? The whole Talmud thing takes this subject to a new level.

Man, this topic is making the old grey matter work hard.
(08-04-2018, 03:39 PM)redneckpride4ever Wrote: So upon the destruction of the 2nd temple, by an ancient Jew's definition, true Judaism ceased to exist?

And as far as the Karaites, my point was more that they were the closest thing possible (through an ancient Jewish lens) sans temple. No talmud calling Mary a whore, etc.

I understand the Catholic theological view (obviously Christ's Church was now the right path, Eucharist the sacrifice meaning no more Korban, etc), but from a social perspective I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around it.

Once the temple was destroyed, did the Jews basically see their religion as nonfunctional and begin splintering into various forms (Rabbinic, Orthodox, etc.) since they couldn't practice an animal sacrifice?

Kind of like if Apostolic succession were to end for us. No sacraments would leave us in a disarray that would in essence turn us into Protestant sects (in both theological and sociological terms).

Would non-talmud sects like Karaites at least constitute the closer mindset of a Jew 2 days after the temple was destroyed? The whole Talmud thing takes this subject to a new level.

Man, this topic is making the old grey matter work hard.

Yup once the temple was destroyed Judaism ceased to exist as it was. The old religion needed 3 things a temple, and sacrifice, and a priesthood which they all lost once Christ came. From my studying the Jews were being persecuted by the Romans and expected a political ruler which they thought was going to be gifted to them from their carnal understanding of the book of Daniel and when Our Lord came they utterly rejected him. The post temple Jews still believed they had the true religion but the thought of it started to change drastically. Basically the Jews that didn't convert to Catholicism grouped together into political Messianic organization. They started throwing a bunch of revolts in Rome and managed to create their own state for a couple years by the force that the military leader Simon Bar Kohkba presented and there are other examples in history too.