Vegans and vegetarians may think they’re 'eating healthy.' They’re not
Interesting... Hmmm...

Just a ponder: Most vegan/vegetarians are quite liberal (there are always exceptions, no doubt) and it would seem liberals tend to get rather excited over things and may even be less intelligent ("libtards"). I ponder then; is there a connection with diet? Rolleyes

Quote:Link to Original Article

Vegans and vegetarians may think they’re 'eating healthy.' They’re not
7-9 minutes

[Image: 1533412691594.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top-image]
More than 7 million Americans are now vegetarian, and more and more are converting every year. The number of vegans in the U.S. increased by 600 percent between 2014 and 2017.

And while it is true that predominantly plant-based diets have numerous benefits, they can also cause several underappreciated health problems.

The reason? Those who avoid animal food products often do not get enough B-12, the much-needed vitamin found in animal products that helps build red blood cells, repair DNA, and protect the brain.

That could be dangerous. Whether through more animal foods, including eggs and dairy, or a dietary supplement, Americans must ensure they get enough of this essential but scarce micronutrient.

Most vegans, those who don’t eat any animal products, and vegetarians, who don't eat red meat, seafood, or poultry, are short on B-12. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found nine in 10 vegans had below-normal levels of B-12. Vegetarians fare a bit better thanks to dairy and eggs, but they also fall short -- more than two in three are below normal in B-12. And about 55 percent of children on a vegetarian diet have inadequate B-12 levels, according to a study by researchers at East Carolina University.

As a physician scientist who has dedicated the past 50 years of my professional career to studying vitamin B-12, I know that a deficiency can have serious and sometimes devastating health repercussions. The symptoms start slowly, with indicators like fatigue, irritability and other mood changes, memory loss, and pale skin. But these symptoms can escalate to more serious issues such as vision loss and even psychosis, imbalance, and paralysis. B-12 deficiency is also known to raise the risk of developing depression, dementia, cardiovascular disease, stroke and even cancer.

Babies who don't receive enough B-12 in the womb run the risk of developing dangerous defects – indeed, expectant mothers with B-12 deficiency are up to five times more likely to have a child with a potentially disabling or fatal birth defect, many of which involve the brain or spinal cord. A study just out from the Harvard School of Public Health reports that the children of women given B-12 supplements during pregnancy and in the weeks immediately after birth score higher on expressive language tests at age 2 ½.

Quote:Vegetarians and vegans aren't the only ones at risk of B-12 deficiencies. The elderly, folks who take heartburn medications to reduce stomach acid, patients with celiac or Crohn's disease, and even people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery for obesity are also highly vulnerable.

Children also need B-12 for their brains to develop and their nervous systems to grow. Kids short on B-12 can face problems with digestion and growth. Such deficiencies have even been linked to neurological and behavioral disorders.

Getting enough B-12 isn't difficult with a proper diet -- or supplements, if necessary. The recommended daily dose for most adults is 2.4 micrograms per day; pregnant women and nursing moms need a touch more. To put that in context, there are about 1.3 micrograms of B-12 in a serving of steak, 1.5 in a cup of yogurt, 1 in an eight-ounce glass of milk, and 0.5 in one egg. Many types of seafood are also high in B-12. Thus, getting enough B-12 is relatively easy for people who eat from these food groups.

Those on plant-based diets -- especially if pregnant or nursing -- need to pay particularly close attention to their B-12 intake. People on a strict vegan diet get negligible amounts of B-12 from their diets.

Fortunately, B-12 supplements are safe and are generally inexpensive. So long as the stomach and intestines are functioning normally, a relatively small daily supplement will suffice -- with 50, 20, even 10 micrograms being sufficient. People with absorption problems may require higher doses, typically between 500 -1000 micrograms daily. Alternatively, they may need regular weekly, bi-weekly or monthly injections of B-12.

Vegetarians and vegans aren't the only ones at risk of B-12 deficiencies. The elderly, folks who take heartburn medications to reduce stomach acid, patients with celiac or Crohn's disease, and even people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery for obesity are also highly vulnerable.

And people with dangerously low B-12 levels may do worse if they have very high levels of folate -- a closely related B vitamin -- in their blood. This has become a bigger problem with the government-mandated addition of folic acid to grains and cereals -- coupled with excessive folic acid supplement use.

B-12 is extremely important. Whether by adding enough scrambled eggs and milk to their diets -- or taking a supplement -- people on plant-based diets must ensure they're getting enough B-12 to avoid getting some nasty health problems.

Dr. Ralph Green is a medical doctor and research scientist on the faculty of the University of California, Davis where he is a distinguished professor of pathology and medicine. He has carried out research on B-12 for over 40 years.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
I've been vegan for a while, there's nothing difficult about taking a b-12 supplement, and the health benefits of eating vegan far outweigh the health costs of eating a carnist diet. And I promise you, eating plants doesn't make you dumb.
~Your local humanitarian snowflake™ with the most noble of spirits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Emblemfan's post:
  • Abaxvahl
One of the first things people going vegan learn to do is to make sure their B12 is fine, and they take a supplement. There is no risk if you just take it once a day. Some people are just lazy.
There is no good on the internet, and nothing good comes from it.
Well I respect those who choose to do vegan, but I've gone KETO for three months and it's been amazing!

I'm never hungry.  I'm never shaky or hypo-glycemic.  I eat dessert every night.  Plus I'm losing weight even though I get zero exercise!

Most days I do OMAD (one meal a day or sometimes called intermittent fasting), just Keto coffee with butter/MCT oil in the morning and I'm not all that hungry before dinner.

Dr. Berry explains which carbohydrate we can't survive without in this short video if you are interested.  (Important to know if you are a prepper)

4:35

One of the many climate change propaganda items being pushed on us is a cessation of eating meat because it's so very bad for you and for the environment and your carbon footprint (and for the animals).

That's just not true, and I saw a woman give her testimony that after years as an animal rights activist she realized that meat products are a natural part of the food chain and essential to health.

Of course, everyone should do what's best for you.  Plus there are precautions one has to take if doing Keto like making sure you get your electrolytes.  Also there is an adjustment period.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
Oh, and Keto plus intermittent fasting has actually cured people's diabetes, fatty liver, PCOS and other diseases.

Every time you eat, even if it's only just vegetables, you spike your insulin.

So the diet suggestion for diabetics to eat healthy snacks throughout the day is really a terrible idea!

Insulin is also bad for cancer and pretty much every other disease as well, so the less the better.

With Keto, you actually transform your body from an insulin/sugar burning machine, into a fat burning machine.

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Zedta
Humans are not herbivores. We do not have multi-chambered stomachs and long intestinal tracts. Food passes through quickly. We also have a rather large gall bladder to hold a good store of bile for the expected fatty meal. We do not re-eat/masticate our food as cows and other herbivores do in order to get the maximum out of the grasses and other vegetable matter that they eat.

Humans who eat a strictly vegetable (vegan) diet do not get over 25% of the necessary amino acids (not just B-12) and other nutrients that their bodies need. Vegetarians, who eat some animal fats, like cheese and proteins, like milk and eggs, are able to get most of these. Vegans, and to a lesser degree, Vegetarians, are more prone to viral diseases, because of these lower levels of nutrients. Statistically, they do not live longer nor have fewer medical issues than meat eaters. It all boils down to 'choices'. One has to chose clean and well raised foods, no matter whether they are plant or animal in nature. Eating organic is not always the best, as some 'organic' practices in farming can concentrate heavy metals and other toxins in the fertilizers used. Most 'organic' growers find they have to revert to bone meal and other animal byproducts in their fertilizers in order the get healthy plants, which is kind of hypocritical for the true Vegan or Vegetarian's philosophy.

Current data is proving the validity of the Paleo diet, especially after all the hubbub of the Atkins Diet. There were a few studies done, specifically to 'prove' how bad the diet was for one's health, but the researchers were collectively shocked (this spurred the additional studies) that the opposite of what they thought were going to be the results came out: Lower Cholesterol, Lower Triglycerides, Lower Insulin requirements and better Carbohydrate metabolism and weight loss, without need for exercise. These results, repeatedly reproduced in the first and subsequent studies, was the spearhead that made all these weight-loss programs, like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, switch to the Ketogenic, Atkins-like Diets.

Our bodies have lots of fat in them and the brain is overwhelmingly made up of fat. Fat coats our nervous system as an insulator and there is evidence that low fat diets could be a precursor to Alzheimer Disease symptoms and even Parkinson's Disease as well. Both of these diseases had huge increases in common with the rise of the 'low fat diet craze'.

A good movie on the subject on Netflix: The Magic Pill. [BTW: The testimony of the 'former' Vegan activist in the film is epic]
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
  • Sacred Heart lover
I would go so far as to say most people who EAT are not eating a healthy diet, generally speaking. However, I will point out that the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer have listed red and processed meat as a class 1 carcinogen. Here's the short paper from their website.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Emblemfan's post:
  • Zedta
(08-05-2018, 05:30 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: I would go so far as to say most people who EAT are not eating a healthy diet, generally speaking. However, I will point out that the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer have listed red and processed meat as a class 1 carcinogen. Here's the short paper from their website.

Most red meats come from sources which have been force fed GMO corn and been give vaccines, antibiotics and steroids to make them put on weight. Of course that is a dangerous mix and 'processed' meats are also bombarded with chemicals, another danger signal, so, something to avoid.

The same is not true for meats from sources raised in natural conditions and not forced to eat things they would not naturally eat, like corn, especially, GMO corn or soy beans soaked with glyphosate.

Any one who is not careful of what they eat, even if it is vegitable, can get sick from that food product. Prudence is always the best course, but avoiding some types of food for the wrong reasons, could be foolish.
Art Bell

J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
  • mpk1987
(08-05-2018, 05:48 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 05:30 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: I would go so far as to say most people who EAT are not eating a healthy diet, generally speaking. However, I will point out that the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer have listed red and processed meat as a class 1 carcinogen. Here's the short paper from their website.

Most red meats come from sources which have been force fed GMO corn and been give vaccines, antibiotics and steroids to make them put on weight. Of course that is a dangerous mix and 'processed' meats are also bombarded with chemicals, another danger signal, so, something to avoid.

The same is not true for meats from sources raised in natural conditions and not forced to eat things they would not naturally eat, like corn, especially, GMO corn or soy beans soaked with glyphosate.

Any one who is not careful of what they eat, even if it is vegitable, can get sick from that food product. Prudence is always the best course, but avoiding some types of food for the wrong reasons, could be foolish.

That is true, and I'm not even saying that most vegetables are good for you, since they've all been loaded with pesticides and GMOs and what not. However, kale and potatoes aren't causing cancer at the rate that meat is, so I think there's something to be said for the health costs of eating meat, and that maybe we should heed the world health organizations warning in this situation and limit our meat intake.

Unfortunately, it's because of the additives:

Quote:Dr. Berg talks about the difference between processed meat and grass-fed meat. They are NOT the same and grass-fed has never been proven to cause cancer. However, process meat is a problem due to
1. Being modified to extend shelf-life.
2. Containing nitrates (secondary cyclic amines)
3.Containing dextrose (synthetic sugar)
4. GMO: corn and soy
6. Some animals feeds contain formaldehyde
http://www.poultryindustrycouncil.ca/...
7. The hormone rBST.

The thing about all the info we get, even from the Diabetic Assoc or Amercian Cancer Society is politically and especially monetarily influenced.  So I've found I have to dig a lot deeper as did my friend who's husband and two of her children have type 1 diabetes and the Diabetic Assoc diet was killing them!  She had to take over for her husband's diet in the hospital to get his insulin/bloodwork worked out by going against their treatment plan/diet.

Here are a couple of short vids where Dr. Berry explains how Keto prevents Cancer.

Dominicus asked if I would include a short description of the vids I post for those who can't watch them so I've
added those here.

This is the description for the first one:
Quote:KenDBerryMD
Published on Dec 21, 2017

The ketogenic diet has so many health benefits, but did you know it can actually help you fight cancer? There are multiple studies in both humans and other mammals that show the ketogenic diet is the enemy of cancer cells and tumors.

We can never remove 100% of the cancer risk factors in our life, but wouldn't it be nice if you could load the dice in your favor? Well science says you can, by eating the proper diet.

Here are 4 ways the ketogenic diet fights cancer, enjoy...

6:36

Here is the description for the next vid.  Note: Sugar and insulin don't only come from eating sugar Wink

Quote:We all want to avoid cancer, and if the foods we eat either increase our odds of getting cancer, or protect us from cancer, then we have a right to know!

It seems self-evident from the 3 facts I talk about that cancer loves sugar.  Do some research for yourself and see if you think that cancer loves sugar...
[/url]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_token=reptEnz9HQM5qAu4h0nfn0lu8gl8MTUzMzU5MjA4MUAxNTMzNTA1Njgx&q=http%3A%2F%2Famzn.to%2F2ypwPAf&v=PwyfnNqsik0&event=video_description]

5:51

In this video Dr. Berg explains how the studies on meat can be skewed:

Quote:Dr. Berg talks about red meats and what the actual study that most people use to prove that red meat is bad, really says. The Nurse Health Study was an observational study based on a questionnaire. This is not the best way to do a true study. The real danger is consuming red meat has to more with the added nitrates, the GMO corn and soy commercial meats contain. Grass fed beef has more omega 3 fatty acids and all studies on meats were focused on commercial animals, not grass fed animals.

5:01

-Our Lady of La Salette