Confraternity obligations: binding under sin?
Many months ago, I asked a Priest to enroll me into the Fvefold Scapular. However by any that time, I do not think I had realized all the commitment that can came with the Confraternities. Would it be better to not wear The Fivefold right now, but only wear the Brown Scapular and complete the obligations faithfully? I don’t think I’m ready to wear the Fivefold Scapular yet. Can not completing Confraternity obligations ever ben a sin?
Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.

(08-08-2018, 09:15 AM)SebastianMary Wrote: Many months ago, I asked a Priest to enroll me into the Fvefold Scapular. However by any that time, I do not think I had realized all the commitment that can came with the Confraternities. Would it be better to not wear The Fivefold right now, but only wear the Brown Scapular and complete the obligations faithfully? I don’t think I’m ready to wear the Fivefold Scapular yet. Can not completing Confraternity obligations ever ben a sin?
Peace.....it's not really a decision that anyone else can make for  you - to wear the Brown Scap only.  It is what you feel called to.  If  you feel you didn't understand completely what you were getting into with the Fivefold, then you are not really fully responsible. 

However, if it was me, I would make this clear to whomever and if needed withdraw in writing.  I also don't think it is necessary to state your "personal" reason, just that some things were not clear at the time, and you are not prepared for this commitment in the here and now.  It may not be necessary to do that, but best to ask.  

There are also possible conditions that allow you to be considered "inactive" for a time and that is something you might want to inquire about also. 

As for being bound under sin, I don't think you are and best to ask that also.  As long as you handle it ethically and responsibly honest, I think you will set the record straight.  God bless, angeltime Heart
[-] The following 1 user Likes angeltime's post:
  • SebastianMary
I know failing to recite the prayers and wear the necklace/girdle for the Confraternity of Angelic Warfare is not binding under the pain of sin. It might be naive to assume it’s the same for all others, but I would assume the same for all others. Haha
As far as I know, confraternity promises are not considered vows. It might be a sin of dishonesty to outwardly belong to something but inwardly refuse to follow its expectations, but not a mortal one.
(08-08-2018, 09:15 AM)SebastianMary Wrote: Many months ago, I asked a Priest to enroll me into the Fvefold Scapular. However by any that time, I do not think I had realized all the commitment that can came with the Confraternities. Would it be better to not wear The Fivefold right now, but only wear the Brown Scapular and complete the obligations faithfully? I don’t think I’m ready to wear the Fivefold Scapular yet. Can not completing Confraternity obligations ever ben a sin?
To my knowledge the brown scapular is the only one with obligations as such and those are only for the sabbatine priveledge. The others im pretty sure dont hace any obligations. You might be confusing it with the requirements for gaining their indulgences which is optional.

In any case, it wouldn't be a sin unless otherwise specified.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
No, I know of no Scapular confraternity whose obligations, such as they are, bind under pain of sin. In fact, the Rule of the Third Order of Carmel specifically states that it doesn't bind under pain of sin, and it would be highly illogical for the Scapular Confraternity to do it and not the Third Order.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(08-08-2018, 01:53 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: No, I know of no Scapular confraternity whose obligations, such as they are, bind under pain of sin. In fact, the Rule of the Third Order of Carmel specifically states that it doesn't bind under pain of sin, and it would be highly illogical for the Scapular Confraternity to do it and not the Third Order.

Agreed. The Rosary Confraternity is likewise very clear that their obligations are NOT binding under pain of sin.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominicus's post:
  • SebastianMary
Even the rules of religious congregations generally do not bind under pain of even venial sin, unless they concern a serious matter, or their observance is commanded under holy obedience.

Habitual disregard might show such malice.

As Jovan said, though, if that's for a religious or a tertiary, then a confraternity does not oblige duties under pain of sin.

However, remember why one is enrolled in the scapulars : it's not a talisman. It's meant to be a source of grace, and the confraternity is a special way of increasing that grace. If you don't do what your meant to, you may not sin, but neither can you take part in the benefits of membership in that confraternity.

Like paying your dues to a fraternal society, if you an "inactive member" you can't get into the club until you decide to start paying again.
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, Dominicus, jovan66102, SebastianMary

Being invested in a scapular isn't the same as being enrolled in a confraternity. Therefor any obligations of a fraternity do not actually apply. Also the promises and commitments of the investiture also do not apply under the pain of sin.
Also one of the benefits of the investiture in the five scapulars is that if you wear one of the scapulars it is as if you were wearing all five at the same time.
(08-11-2018, 12:12 AM)Poche Wrote:

Being invested in a scapular isn't the same as being enrolled in a confraternity. Therefor any obligations of a fraternity do not actually apply. Also the promises and commitments of the investiture also do not apply under the pain of sin.
Also one of the benefits of the investiture in the five scapulars is that if you wear one of the scapulars it is as if you were wearing all five at the same time.

The investiture in the Brown Scapular is coincident with enrollment in the Scapular Confraternity. In fact the promises attached to the Scapular are actually promises attached to membership in that confraternity.