Confraternity obligations: binding under sin?
(08-11-2018, 02:32 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 12:12 AM)Poche Wrote: Also one of the benefits of the investiture in the five scapulars is that if you wear one of the scapulars it is as if you were wearing all five at the same time.

The investiture in the Brown Scapular is coincident with enrollment in the Scapular Confraternity. In fact the promises attached to the Scapular are actually promises attached to membership in that confraternity.

What about this second point, MM? I've never heard that. I've been invested in all Five Scapulars for over 30 years and I've always worn the Fivefold or a proper blessed Scapular Medal to replace the other four when I'm wearing my Tertiary's Scapular, which is 24/7 most of the time now.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(08-11-2018, 03:36 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 12:12 AM)Poche Wrote: Also one of the benefits of the investiture in the five scapulars is that if you wear one of the scapulars it is as if you were wearing all five at the same time.

The investiture in the Brown Scapular is coincident with enrollment in the Scapular Confraternity. In fact the promises attached to the Scapular are actually promises attached to membership in that confraternity.

What about this second point, MM? I've never heard that. I've been invested in all Five Scapulars for over 30 years and I've always worn the Fivefold or a proper blessed Scapular Medal to replace the other four when I'm wearing my Tertiary's Scapular, which is 24/7 most of the time now.

I was invested in the Brown Scapular by a priest who had the faculties to do so and my name was never written in any book.
(08-11-2018, 04:24 AM)Poche Wrote: I was invested in the Brown Scapular by a priest who had the faculties to do so and my name  was never written in any book.

Any Priest who has faculties can invest in the Brown Scapular. In fact, back in the late 70s, with Vatican Approval, the Priors General granted the right to laymen to enrol in the Scapular. They gave the Blue Army power to grant the faculty to enrol.

I wasn't a Trad yet when I heard about it, so I wrote the Blue Army. I mentioned I was a Tertiary and they replied that I should contact my Superiors for permission. I did, and was given the faculty. Of course, as soon as I 'Tradverted' I stopped doing it. I believe, tho' I don't know for sure, that they've stopped this practice.

As to having your name written in a Confraternity Register, I don't know when that requirement was dropped, but I know it was decades ago, probably right after the Council, I would guess. I just know it hasn't been required in the last 40 years or so.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(08-11-2018, 03:35 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 04:24 AM)Poche Wrote: I was invested in the Brown Scapular by a priest who had the faculties to do so and my name  was never written in any book.

Any Priest who has faculties can invest in the Brown Scapular. In fact, back in the late 70s, with Vatican Approval, the Priors General granted the right to laymen to enrol in the Scapular. They gave the Blue Army power to grant the faculty to enrol.

I wasn't a Trad yet when I heard about it, so I wrote the Blue Army. I mentioned I was a Tertiary and they replied that I should contact my Superiors for permission. I did, and was given the faculty. Of course, as soon as I 'Tradverted' I stopped doing it. I believe, tho' I don't know for sure, that they've stopped this practice.

As to having your name written in a Confraternity Register, I don't know when that requirement was dropped, but I know it was decades ago, probably right after the Council, I would guess. I just know it hasn't been required in the last 40 years or so.
Peace.....there is a Register for the Confraternity of the Cord - (Franciscan).  God bless, angeltime Heart

This is precisely why to bless the brown scapular one formerly required a Carmelite priest, a bishop or a priest who had special faculties from the Carmelites. There are formulæ in old canon law books for priests to request this power from the Carmelite superiors.

The rite for the blessing and clothing with the Brown Scapular in the 1957 Ritual specifically has the priest say "Give heed, O Lord, to our supplications and grant this servant (or handmaid) whom we enroll in the Holy Sodality of the Carmelites, may be imbued with unfailing steadfastness ... May God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, who as designed to elect thee a member of the society and confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel ... With the power granted me, I receive you into the confraternity of the Carmelites and make thee a partakers of all the spiritual benefits of the Order ..."

Missionaries always enjoyed the privileges of blessing such scapular without extra faculties, and in 1964 all reservations on blessings except the blessing of a church bell, blessing of a cornerstone for a church, blessing of a church, blessing of an antemensium, blessing of a cemetery, papal blessings and the blessing and erection of Stations of the Cross were removed by Paul VI. Thus any priest has the faculties to bless a brown scapular.
(08-11-2018, 04:24 AM)Poche Wrote:

I was invested in the Brown Scapular by a priest who had the faculties to do so and my name  was never written in any book.

As mentioned, one does not need to have such faculties, at least not since 1964. All priests can bless and invest a person with the Brown Scapular and grant all of the benefits and indulgences attached.
(08-12-2018, 04:03 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

This is precisely why to bless the brown scapular one formerly required a Carmelite priest, a bishop or a priest who had special faculties from the Carmelites. There are formulæ in old canon law books for priests to request this power from the Carmelite superiors.

The rite for the blessing and clothing with the Brown Scapular in the 1957 Ritual specifically has the priest say "Give heed, O Lord, to our supplications and grant this servant (or handmaid) whom we enroll in the Holy Sodality of the Carmelites, may be imbued with unfailing steadfastness ... May God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, who as designed to elect thee a member of the society and confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel ... With the power granted me, I receive you into the confraternity of the Carmelites and make thee a partakers of all the spiritual benefits of the Order ..."

Missionaries always enjoyed the privileges of blessing such scapular without extra faculties, and in 1964 all reservations on blessings except the blessing of a church bell, blessing of a cornerstone for a church, blessing of a church, blessing of an antemensium, blessing of a cemetery, papal blessings and the blessing and erection of Stations of the Cross were removed by Paul VI. Thus any priest has the faculties to bless a brown scapular.
Peace.....a friend and I who were Third Order Franciscans asked the Franciscan Friars a few times if they would enroll us in the Franciscan Cord.  We were told they do not do enrollments anymore.  More than one Friar was asked.  One Friar whom I knew a little longer, said he would call one of his contacts in Rome to see if something can be done and he would let me know.  A few months went by, my friend was leaving for a 3-month vacation, so I asked a Traditional priest who was happy to do the enrollment and we have 2 more being enrolled in the next month or so by the same Trad priest.  I did inform the Friar of my decision to go elsewhere.  I truly believe that just the Cross we had to bear trying to get someone to listen and enroll us will bring grace and blessings to us through the Cord we now wear.  God bless, angeltime Heart