Pope Leo XIII
So I just realized today that Pope Leo XIII isn’t a saint. I find him to be an incredibly fascinating pope. To the extent that I plan on naming my first son Leo. What are your all’s thoughts on him? On the surface he seems rather incredible to me.
Leo XIII is one of the greats.  He was pushed aside in the rush to canonize Vatican II, but that doesn't make him any less impressive to those who care to look beyond neocon shortsightedness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Some Guy
He did some amazing things. Rerum novarum, and his other Encyclicals. He also almost single handedly destroyed the Church in France by calling for support of the Satanic Republic, which led directly to the 1905 Law on the Separation of Church and State which resulted in the confiscation of all Church property by the State, the strict regulation of Religious Orders, the expulsion from France of the contemplatives as 'useless', etc., etc. The Church is still suffering from the effects of his rash, ill advised, and extremely imprudent move. Of course, he didn't live to see the fruit of his action. It was left to St Pius X to deal with.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Mark Williams, Some Guy
Yes I noticed that blunder with France. If I were to provide one critical opinion, it seemed he was almost too quick to accept the changes occurring in the shape and style of government across the West.
Our Prior spoke highly of him in our catechism classes on the popes, noting he was a highly intelligent thomist who advanced Catholic theology in a period of great scientific advancements and emerging philosophical schools of thought.  He also said that he did not inherit a popular church, but he didn’t elaborate on that.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(08-08-2018, 08:01 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: Our Prior spoke highly of him in our catechism classes on the popes, noting he was a highly intelligent thomist who advanced Catholic theology in a period of great scientific advancements and emerging philosophical schools of thought.  He also said that he did not inherit a popular church, but he didn’t elaborate on that.

He was responsible for the revival of Thomism, which was still growing until V II destroyed it. Men like Désiré, Cardinal Mercier, who wrote Les origines de la psychologie contemporaine, as well as a logic manual and works on a Thomistic approach to the modern sciences, were inspired and supported by him.

As far as not inheriting a popular Church, he succeeded Blessed Pius IX, the Hammer of Liberals and the Pope who presided over Vatican I. The Constitution Pastor aeternus was opposed by virtually every government in the world. No, Leo definitely did not inherit a popular Church.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

Love Leo XIII and his encyclicals are wonderful reading. A brilliant mind and a good pope. He did make a terrible mistake with France, but do not forget that he was between a rock and a hard place. Leo's time was during a time of Catholic persecution France's republican government was already shifting towards pushing secularism again. It was him following the ill advice of his liberal secretary that he felt that by having Catholics rally to the republic would cause the republic to back off its secularism: sadly it failed.

However, we shan't forget that it was Pope Leo XIII who is responsible for ending the kulturekapmf in Germany and brought about a revival of sorts of Catholicism in England and brought forth many converts.

Leo XIII, despite the France debacle, was an excellent Pope!
(08-08-2018, 08:16 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 08:01 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: Our Prior spoke highly of him in our catechism classes on the popes, noting he was a highly intelligent thomist who advanced Catholic theology in a period of great scientific advancements and emerging philosophical schools of thought.  He also said that he did not inherit a popular church, but he didn’t elaborate on that.

He was responsible for the revival of Thomism, which was still growing until V II destroyed it. Men like Désiré, Cardinal Mercier, who wrote Les origines de la psychologie contemporaine, as well as a logic manual and works on a Thomistic approach to the modern sciences, were inspired and supported by him.

As far as not inheriting a popular Church, he succeeded Blessed Pius IX, the Hammer of Liberals and the Pope who presided over Vatican I. The Constitution Pastor aeternus was opposed by virtually every government in the world. No, Leo definitely did not inherit a popular Church.

In reference to the initial post, it’s just wrong that Pope Paul Vl will be canonized and have his own feast day on the Liturgical calender long before both Pope Leo Xlll, and Pius Xll For that matter.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 3 users Like The Tax Collector's post:
  • angeltime, karl, Some Guy
I’m convinced JPII will get his sainthood revoked when the restoration happens and same for Paul VI.
(08-08-2018, 08:27 PM)austenbosten Wrote: It was him following the ill advice of his liberal secretary that he felt that by having Catholics rally to the republic would cause the republic to back off its secularism: sadly it failed.

Leo XIII, despite the France debacle, was an excellent Pope!

And the only thing that kept that liberal Secretary of State, Rampolla, from being his successor was the the veto jus exclusivae cast by Jan, Cardinal Puzyna de Kosielsko, Prince-Archbishop of Kraków in the name of HIAM the Emperor-King Franz Joseph.

But, I agree, France aside, he was an excellent Pope. It's just that I can't forget all the writers, publicists, and politicians who simply withdrew from public life rather than disobey the Pope or actively support something they knew to be evil, no matter what Rampolla thought. Up until Rampolla, the opinion of the Popes on the Revolutionary Republic was unanimous. It was evil and was to be resisted.

St Bernard of Clairvaux