Papal names for babies
I know a lot of Catholics name their boys after popes; Peter, Paul, John, John Paul, etc, and I think it's a great idea.

So how come nobody ever names their son Cletus?  Third pope and a saint.

I've even heard of a few Leos.  Leo could be combined with Cletus, giving a baby named Leotus. Big Grin
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • mpk1987
Catholic parents really need to think when they name their kids. There are a lot of good, Catholic names that are so out of place culturally that it’s almost cruel to use them. Cletus is a fine name, but it is very dated. It also gives connotations of being a redneck- probably at least in part due to the Simpsons character. It could be worse though. Whoever names their kid Polycarp may just as well pay other kids to beat him up. 

[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • mpk1987
One of my sons is named after St. Leo the Great and secondarily after Leo XIII.

The abbot of the monastery near where I grew up is named Cletus.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!
I'm going to have four sons and name them Evaristus, Telesphorus, Eleutherius, and Anterus.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Crowe's post:
  • Jeeter
(08-10-2018, 10:51 AM)Crowe Wrote: I'm going to have four sons and name them Evaristus, Telesphorus, Eleutherius, and Anterus.

I hope they know how to box...
Growing up in the Catholic heartland of NE Kansas where there's a Parish Church about every six miles, I've known a number of Cletuses. Everybody just called them Clete, and thought no more about it. The only one I knew that used the full name was Fr Cletus Kohake, OSB.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Zozimus. Conon. Lando.
(08-10-2018, 05:39 PM)I Hey Paul Wrote: Zozimus. Conon. Lando.

How about Pio? Pius is too close to “pious” but I always thought Pio was a great name. And you get the patronage of Pius V Pius X Pius IX and Padre Pio
(08-11-2018, 10:30 AM)Ptochos Wrote: How about Pio? Pius is too close to “pious” but I always thought Pio was a great name. And you get the patronage of Pius V Pius X Pius IX and Padre Pio

But then the kid couldn't be Pius XIII when he becomes Pope. Unless he kept his birth name, but that hasn't been done in a very long time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Ptochos
(08-10-2018, 09:57 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:  It also gives connotations of being a redneck- 

Hardly a bad thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like redneckpride4ever's post:
  • jovan66102, mpk1987