Cardinal O'Malley opens inquiry into allegations posted online by former seminarians
[quote]
Here we go again... Appoint a committee, make sure one or two heads role as scapegoats and change nothing... Will they ever learn?

This, of course, is on the heels of article in the Archdiocese newspaper The Pilot published an article lauding Mr McCarrick's service to the church while other news outlets were breaking about his about of seminarians 

Boston Pilot Promotes Child-Abuser Cardinal’s Service to Church 

Inquires to the editors and the Archdiocese have gone unanswered. Will the duck and cover defesne of the bishops until this blows over defense work again?

And another snote, Pope Francis' committee of 9 really is not having a good year. If the old adage "Show me who your friends are and I’ll tell you who you are?" this cannot be very good for the Pope.
[/quote author]

Cardinal O'Malley opens inquiry into allegations posted online by former seminarians

O'Malley called alleged activities 'contrary to the moral standards' of priesthood

BOSTON — Cardinal Sean O'Malley is opening an inquiry into allegations involving St. John's Seminary, which were posted online over the past week by two former seminarians.

The editorial that spawned the inquiry was posted Aug. 3 on a Catholic website, onepeterfive.com, which describes itself as advocating for the restoration of Catholic tradition.

In the editorial, author John Monaco writes in the first-person about what he says he experienced while attending a seminary. Allegations include an explicit conversation with an older seminarian about masturbation and a drinking party with other seminarians. St. John's is not explicitly identified in the editorial.

Another former seminarian, Andrew Solkshintz, posted on the Archdiocese of Boston's Facebook page Tuesday, with a link to Monaco's editorial. His message identifies St. John's as the seminary involved.

"I can confirm that this is true and in fact there are so many similar stories about this place," he wrote. "As a former Boston seminarian for 3 years I am calling upon the church to seriously examine the seminary located on Lake street. The church has not learned her lesson and maybe if the stories are once again made public then things will finally change."

In response to the postings, O'Malley announced Friday that he asked Msgr. James P. Moroney, rector of St. John’s, to immediately go on sabbatical leave for the fall semester. Rev. Stephen E. Salocks was appointed to serve as the interim rector.

O'Malley also announced that he had appointed a team to oversee an inquiry into the allegations.

"I have directed this group to proceed with due seriousness of their assignment and as soon as possible to submit to me the findings of the inquiry and a set of recommendations to assure appropriate standards of professional behavior in compliance with Church teaching at all levels of seminary life," O'Malley wrote in a statement. "The faculty, staff and students at the seminary will be advised of my expectation that they will fully cooperate with the inquiry."
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
Cardinal O’Malley is going to need Cardinal Mahoney’s PR team if this string of bad press keeps up. I would normally say that the good Catholics of Boston should storm the chancery and demand his resignation, but the way it’s shaping up, the Papal choice to take his place would quite likely not be an improvement.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(08-11-2018, 09:44 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote: the Papal choice to take his place would quite likely not be an improvement.

Which is why the selection process needs to change. One Peter Five published this yesterday:

Selection Bias and the Process of Picking Better Bishops

I'm not saying I agree with all of it, but it poses questions that need to be asked and proposes some answers to begin the discussion.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(08-11-2018, 03:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 09:44 AM)The Tax Collector Wrote: the Papal choice to take his place would quite likely not be an improvement.

Which is why the selection process needs to change. One Peter Five published this yesterday:

Selection Bias and the Process of Picking Better Bishops

I'm not saying I agree with all of it, but it poses questions that need to be asked and proposes some answers to begin the discussion.
That’s a good read.  I agree, there are no easy answers here.  In addition to the failures from Rome with respect to any sort of oversight on disciplining ecclesiastical abuses as a check and balance, who assesses the competency of the laity that are being selected as part of the decision process?
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(08-11-2018, 04:44 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: who assesses the competency of the laity that are being selected as part of the decision process?

Who assesses the competency of the clergy that are being selected as part of the decision process now?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(08-11-2018, 05:41 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 04:44 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: who assesses the competency of the laity that are being selected as part of the decision process?

Who assesses the competency of the clergy that are being selected as part of the decision process now?

quis custodiet ipsos custodes? 

It is currently a system that relies upon the implied competency received from good seminary formation...

Problem solved. The church needs a council composed entirely of priests from traditional societies.  

That’s the best answer I have Jovan.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Tax Collector's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, jovan66102